Author Topic: mistake high hydration and oil dough  (Read 3145 times)

Offline esoog

mistake high hydration and oil dough
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:17:46 PM »
Hi guys i just made a batch of dough (4 balls) that has a hydration of 63% and oil 7.3% salt 2% and idy 0.4%.......now should i forget about trying to shaping it when the time comes as it will be too difficult for a newbie?

Offline esoog

Re: mistake high hydration and oil dough
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »
5% sugar too......i just messed up on the oil figure :-(

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
Try it anyway, you never know what you can learn even if you fail. 

Where did you get this recipe from?  What style of pizza are you trying to make?   That's a lot of sugar and oil.    You can likely make pan pizzas with it if you find it too hard to shape.   

Chau

Offline esoog

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »
thank you so much, I was measuring the flour and put in too much yeast (the equivalent of salt) so i altered the formulation to have enough flour....then bish bash bosh I messed up and mixed up two recipes with the sugar and oil content coming from the pj clone recipe.

Wanted to make a ny style i will how the first ball shapes tomorrow and bin the rest if its too difficult to control

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »
good luck and post up some pictures. 

Chau

Offline esoog

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »
yes definitely....will be interesting to see how it turns out as I see from previous posts by you and pete regarding hydration and high oil content. Wish me luck lol

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »
Hydration is always easy to fix, just add more flour, which will also help with the other percentages.  This is one reason why I do not measure that close, because I adjust the water/flour to give me the exact texture I want in the dough.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 08:15:17 PM »
esoog,

Was the hydration value you mentioned (63%) the starting value or the final value? I suspect that because of the way you made your dough and tried to recover from your mistake you perhaps don't really know what the dough should feel like. But what you posted in the way of ingredients and their quantities is an American style dough. That dough will feel different than for other styles because of the high amount of oil. Ideally, you should try to have the combination of the baker's percents for the water and the oil be about equal to the rated absorption value of the flour you are using. Without even knowing what kind of flour you are using, you do not have that relationship with your water and oil. I found that I was able to use a hydration above 60% with about 7% oil and not have any problems handling the dough. If you manage successfully to make pizzas with the doughs, the crust should be more open and airy than if you used a hydration below 60%.

Peter

Offline esoog

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:46:20 AM »
first all pete absolute honor to hear a reply from you sir (your a legend). And chau and the rest...you guys knowledge amazes me!
63% was the hydration i wanted to go for and hopefully achieved. The dough handled quite well, took lots of kneading to incorporate the oil but got there in the end. I will post up pics this evening to see how it goes. I wanted to achieve a TF-around 0.12 with a total single ball weight of 449g (13 inch pizza). Almost similar percentage to the PJ clone but hydration higher. I used a strong canadian bread flour with 14.8% protein. Thanks again guys

Offline esoog

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 03:57:18 AM »
my apologies with that TF it is a american style im going for  :chef:

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
I agree with the others,use this as a learning experience.Heck,it may still make some decent pizza.I have used alot of oil and sugar before and I notice I got ALOT of browning and charring when cooking on the stone.It was actually pretty good but not the NY style I was aiming for,but good nonetheless.

Keep us posted.
 :)
-Bill

Offline esoog

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 06:19:39 PM »
turned out quite pleasant actually! light and nice bite just the right chew too   :D

pizzapan