Author Topic: Thermo-Electric Cooler/Wine Chiller  (Read 787 times)

Offline StrayBullet

Thermo-Electric Cooler/Wine Chiller
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »
Many cigar lovers, myself included, have ventured down this road but the hurdle to overcome is humidity control and moisture removal.  A few people out there have turned an igloo into a temperature and humidity controlled unit for cigar storage, albeit a rather expensive solution.

With doughs, they're typically sealed in a container and we're not worried about the humidity outside the container so a wine chiller would work wonders for even control over bulk and balled fermentation times.  Here in FL, unless it's cool outside  :-D I won't be able to cold ferment in the range I desire with is between house temp and fridge temp...ie the wine chiller.

I want to be able to make the same recipe without having to make adjustments (minor adjustments aside) for temperature....I want to minimize another controllable factor for better consistency.

Is anyone using this kind of unit in this application?  If so, what model and feedback do you have?  Thanks!

Mark
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:47:36 AM by StrayBullet »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Thermo-Electric Cooler/Wine Chiller
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:51:43 AM »
Mark,

I'm building this week a new chamber built from an old wine refrigerator. I'll let you know how it goes. The problem with thermo-electric peletier coolers is that they can only reduce the chamber temp a certain amount below ambient temp. I have a chamber which can only do about 10 degrees F below ambient. Not enough for me.

Offline Matthew

Re: Thermo-Electric Cooler/Wine Chiller
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »
Mark,
I use a Clairtone digital wine fridge that original had 2 zones.  I disconnected the peltier for the upper white wine zone & removed the zone dividing shelf.  The capacity is probably double my MR-148.  It is extremely accurate in maintaining the temperature.  As Bill mentioned. you are limited in how warm it will get.  In my unit, the temperature range is 54-65 degrees.

Matt

pizzapan