Author Topic: Thining Out Sauce  (Read 2306 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Thining Out Sauce
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »
Does anyone know what I should do to thin out pizza sauce?

Here is the scenario -

I actually love the pizza sauce that Sbarro pizza's are made with.  I know Sbarro's gets some flack here by people but I love it.  It's kind of thin.  I saw some Sbarro pizza sauce recipes here at this site so I can try to make some but I already have some pizza sauce that I want to thin down a bit.  I know, I know this might sound bad to some of you but at Smart & Final I went looking for Sbarro sauce.  They once sold it but do not any longer so I saw Ragu brand pizza sauce.  It did say thick on it so I knew it was not going to be thin.  I believe the Sbarro is thin sauce from what I recall from eating their pizza.  I purchased the Ragu because it was some super good buy at $4.99 a big can, forget the ounces.  I could not resist. It taste fine but it's think.  I know if I thin it it will not necessarily taste like Sbarro sauce but it will at least be thinner and I prefer thinner.

What do I add and do I cook it for some time to make it thinner?  I take it cooking it would make the sauce thicker though but I have to ask what process do I do to thin it out a bit.  I made pizza last night and it was good but I think the Sbarro sauce taste better and is thinner.  Maybe I can thin it out a bit if you all help me.  Any help is greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Thank You,

James

Offline StrayBullet

Re: Thining Out Sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
I know what I do but don't know if it will help here, anyway....

I use canned tomatoes and drain them of excess water prior to using.  Once drained, I add spices blend with a stick to get the consistency I'm looking for then store in the fridge.  I reserve all the juice drained off initially and stash that in the fridge as well.  Once cooled a bit the water and "juice" separate.  I then add the juice back in to obtain desired thickness :)

Mark

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:08:52 PM »
I know what I do but don't know if it will help here, anyway....

I use canned tomatoes and drain them of excess water prior to using.  Once drained, I add spices blend with a stick to get the consistency I'm looking for then store in the fridge.  I reserve all the juice drained off initially and stash that in the fridge as well.  Once cooled a bit the water and "juice" separate.  I then add the juice back in to obtain desired thickness :)

Mark

Thank you Mark.  That does sound like it would work.   I think I'll give that a go.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:28:48 PM »
Cooking a sauce will make it thicker.

Just add filtered water a TBSP at a time until you think it's right.

You will then need to add extra seasoning a little at a time as your taste buds dictate.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »
Cooking a sauce will make it thicker.

Just add filtered water a TBSP at a time until you think it's right.

You will then need to add extra seasoning a little at a time as your taste buds dictate.

Thanks Mick, I'll give that a try.  Maybe some of the water and some of the ingredients that I have in the Sbarro sauce recipe that I read about here at this forum.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 02:27:23 AM »
James,

I will say that every Ragu sauce I have tasted,even their pizza stuff,is NOTHING like Sbarro's.Nothing you can do to make it similar.All Ragu sauce has a similar taste that Makes it Ragu.I dont know what it is,but is a real waste of time trying to fool around with it.Everything Ragu tastes Ragu.Its ok for a spaghetti sauce(kids like it) but thats about it.Even their pizza sauce has the same Ragu taste that the jar sauce has.

Sbarro's has a simple yet sweet tomato-y taste to their Pizza sauce.It is not overpowering and I really like it myself.Their marinara is really good too,for dipping the crust and bread sticks in,and as you already know,I wanted to clone it myself but never got any info to do so.I admit I did not pursue it since I can eat it anytime at the local mall.The employees there do not know how to make it,it comes already made.

Did you contact Sbarro's to see if they are still selling sauces at their locations or online?
Here is a link for you...I have not emailed or called them yet.Just never got around to it.
http://www.sbarro.com/sauces.php

I will add a bit more later...and if I find more info out I will be sure to post it too.
 :)

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
PE101,

A lot of commercially produced sauce have a high amount of either salt or sugar, or both. Stay away from those.

Ragu Pizza sauce is fairly low-key in all of the departments, it might be a good base for a pizza sauce with a commercial touch to it.

Good for when you want to emulate NYC style pizzas.  ;D

To thin it down, but maintaining the flavor, I'd say first taste then read the label and then increase all the ingredients' amounts by starting with a pinch until you have the balance you're looking for.

Ingredients:

TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR.

Now what the spices are I don't know. My guess is Oregano, Basil, perhaps Sage, Sugar and Garlic. Maybe a touch of Fennel...

Don't cook the sauce afterwards because Ragu is already cooked.

Ragu's Nutrtional Info:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:45:31 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
James,

I will say that every Ragu sauce I have tasted,even their pizza stuff,is NOTHING like Sbarro's.Nothing you can do to make it similar.All Ragu sauce has a similar taste that Makes it Ragu.I dont know what it is,but is a real waste of time trying to fool around with it.Everything Ragu tastes Ragu.Its ok for a spaghetti sauce(kids like it) but thats about it.Even their pizza sauce has the same Ragu taste that the jar sauce has.

Sbarro's has a simple yet sweet tomato-y taste to their Pizza sauce.It is not overpowering and I really like it myself.Their marinara is really good too,for dipping the crust and bread sticks in,and as you already know,I wanted to clone it myself but never got any info to do so.I admit I did not pursue it since I can eat it anytime at the local mall.The employees there do not know how to make it,it comes already made.

Did you contact Sbarro's to see if they are still selling sauces at their locations or online?
Here is a link for you...I have not emailed or called them yet.Just never got around to it.
http://www.sbarro.com/sauces.php

I will add a bit more later...and if I find more info out I will be sure to post it too.
 :)

chickenparm, yep Sbarro is great sauce.  The Ragu is okay it's not horrible it's just not like I'd prefer so you are right Sbarro is great.  I have to do what you suggest and ask Sbarro to sell me some.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
Essen, thank you for the suggestion.  I tried to thin it down and add some spices but I made it worse.  I guess I'm not so good at this.  It's an okay sauce but not my fave.  I think I'll just use it up and after then buy sauce from Sbarro if they will sell it.

There is a Sbarro clone recipe on this website I might try to use that recipe and see how it goes.

Thanks

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »
I went to Sbarro and bought a big can of pizza sauce from them.   The Ragu sauce I think I'll keep but use it on pasta even though at that I'm not sure how good it will be.  Maybe see if I can make lasagna out of it.  I want to go back to Sbarro and buy a pasta lunch and see how the sauce is for that.  My wife loves their pasta sauce. I thought they used the same on both but the pizza and the pasta sauce are different they told me.