Author Topic: 13" round plates  (Read 5459 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: 13" round plates
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
$29 to ship 6 plates ground. Have they lost their minds?
It's almost $40 to boston.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »
I may have the 13" white ones from GDP at $9.82ea (in case of 6) delivered.

Stay tuned.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 12:43:10 PM »
The ones I've been looking at are http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_136466  and  http://www.gdprestaurantsupplies.com/product.php?productid=17601  but I'm still hoping to find something a little bigger.  Has anyone found similar in a 15-16"?

Robyn,

Here are the white Saturnia pizza plates in 3 sizes. The largest is 15". http://www.europaeus.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_arc&category_id=101&product_id=386&Itemid=28

$12/ea for the 15". I don't know how much the shipping is.

CL

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
Thanks, Craig!  I just submitted a shipping quote request, for the pizza plates and some nice pasta bowls that they offer.  I'll update when I get the quote. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »
I ordered 2cs (12) of the 13" white plates from GDP for $118 delivered - $9.83/plate all in. Seems pretty good.

I called and talked to Nicholas Vanrell 305-576-0002, and he worked with me to cut the shipping way back. Very friendly and helpful.

CL

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »
Craig,

What's wrong with butcher paper or paper plates, just like a lot of the Texas BBQ joints use? You want your pizzas to be the star of the show and not have your guests get distracted and say....Oooh, nice plates...and say nothing about the pizzas. And, I suppose that you will be using sillverware and not plastic knives and forks, too?

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
What's wrong with butcher paper or paper plates, just like a lot of the Texas BBQ joints use? You want your pizzas to be the star of the show and not have your guests get distracted and say....Oooh, nice plates...and say nothing about the pizzas. And, I suppose that you will be using sillverware and not plastic knives and forks, too?

Absolutely nothing Pete. Frankly I never thought of that, and if I do open Craig's Neapolitan Garage in the future, I just might do it. It's a really cool idea to take a Texas twist on service and apply it to Neapolitan pizza. Maybe I'll call it Peter Paper  :-D  

I've been serving off the metal pans you see in all my pictures for as long as I've been making pizza. They are perfectly functional for what I do. Notwithstanding, every time I see a beautiful pie served on a white porcelain plate - every single time - I think to myself how good it looks and wish I had some. To me it is the perfect visual complement, especially to a Margherita; my favorite pie. I also love the look of the big stack of white plates next to the mouth of the oven. So, basically they are not functional for what I do, and they don't fit the rest of the ambiance as you point out, but I wanted them darn it, so I splurged. I'll probably take pictures on them then slide the pies off onto the old metal pans to cut and serve. Why did I buy 12??? I don't know... :-\

I'll have to think about the silverware. I'm not a big fan of plastic knives. You ever try to skin a hog with one? Not good.

CL
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:09:30 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
Craig,

I know that you love good wines, as I do, so I'd like to give you another tip, one that originated with President Nixon when he was in office. This tip is for your guests using the new pizza plates.

According to a report by Nixon's White House pianist, a fellow by the name of Bob Smith, he (Smith) would join the Nixons on their yacht, the Sequoia. Smith would watch as Nixon would line up empty $300 bottles of wine, then take out a funnel and a jug of Carlo Rossi and fill them up with wine to serve to the guests. Smith said he saw Nixon do this about 20 times. Nixon would wink at Smith as he watched guests ooh and ahh over the cheap stuff, thinking it was high grade. Smith said that Nixon loved doing that.

There will be no need to thank me for this tip :-D.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »
Craig,

I know that you love good wines, as I do, so I'd like to give you another tip, one that originated with President Nixon when he was in office. This tip is for your guests using the new pizza plates.

According to a report by Nixon's White House pianist, a fellow by the name of Bob Smith, he (Smith) would join the Nixons on their yacht, the Sequoia. Smith would watch as Nixon would line up empty $300 bottles of wine, then take out a funnel and a jug of Carlo Rossi and fill them up with wine to serve to the guests. Smith said he saw Nixon do this about 20 times. Nixon would wink at Smith as he watched guests ooh and ahh over the cheap stuff, thinking it was high grade. Smith said that Nixon loved doing that.

There will be no need to thank me for this tip :-D.

Peter

Thatís too funny. I have a similar story. Several years ago, I had a truly fine bottle of wine saved for Christmas dinner. I had been getting my father (another wine lover with very similar tastes to mine) excited about it for a couple weeks. I also had a bottle of wine that I knew would be truly awful. I had a glass of the bad one stashed and after pouring him a glass of the good one, I deftly made the switch. It was priceless watching him choke down the first few sips while not saying anything that would hurt my feelings. Needless to say, he was very relieved when I handed him the real glass.

CL

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »
Shipping quote from Europaeus was $39.  Granted, that's for the 3 pizza plates + 8 individual pasta bowls, not just the plates, but it still feels high.  However, their item prices are low, so I guess it's a wash...  sigh. 

Craig, I think the stack of porcelain plates next to the oven will be pleasing enough to you to justify the purchase.  Your pizzas are so beautiful, they will be perfect on the plates, and you will be happy.  You bought 12 so that each time one breaks, you can think, "boy, I'm glad I bought 12 of these damn things."   ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »
You bought 12 so that each time one breaks, you can think, "boy, I'm glad I bought 12 of these damn things."   ;D

I used that one the other day to justify some wine glasses...  :-D

CL

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »
Okay, it had to happen sooner or later - I'm going to be a total female right now  :-[  I just discovered that Fiesta makes a 15" pizza platter that is widely available, including through Amazon.  Here's the girlie part:  they make it in all sorts of pretty colors!  I could totally see the red and green for an Italian table setting, and I really love some of the retro pastels like turquoise and yellow... 

Okay, back to normal.  They do offer it in white - it's out of stock temporarily at Amazon, but they are getting more in and they will be on the free shipping offer.  Some of the colors are currently on their "buy 3, get the 4th free" promotion, and some of those even qualify for free shipping over $25, which makes them a better deal than the restaurant supply 15" ones.   

Amazon also has these 14" traditional ones, and they qualify for Amazon Prime so I assume they also qualify for free shipping:  http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Supply-8150-Porcelain-Diameter/dp/B002GYWFJC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316641918&sr=8-2

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
I love my new plates!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 11:46:40 PM »
I love my new plates!

The plates do look nice beside the oven.

P.S.  I am worried about those 3 cracks in the oven.  I am an authorized Acunto repair facility.  It can take up to 3 or 4 years to repair, but you have my personal assurance that I will return it in great shape.  Let me swing by and take those worries off your mind.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »
 :-D   :-D   :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »
The plates do look nice beside the oven.

P.S.  I am worried about those 3 cracks in the oven.  I am an authorized Acunto repair facility.  It can take up to 3 or 4 years to repair, but you have my personal assurance that I will return it in great shape.  Let me swing by and take those worries off your mind.

LOL!   :-D  That was too funny!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
Great tip on the 13" saturnia plates from GDP, Craig. I spoke with Nicholas and he hooked it up on the shipping. Way better price than what is auto calculated on their online web store. Got two cases on the way.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

pizzapan