Author Topic: semolina dough  (Read 1959 times)

keef richards

semolina dough
« on: April 14, 2005, 08:24:43 PM »
i have a bunch of semolina flour left over from making raviolis is it worth making a pizza dough out of it?  should i mix with all purpose flour the recipies i found say to use all purpose. i like semolina bread so i don't see a down side to usng the semolina. most recipies call for 3-to-1 flour to semolina.

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: semolina dough
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 09:24:01 PM »
keef,  by all means yes. 
Is your semolina coarse, like sand or is it durum.  The reason i ask is that some people refer to durum as "semolina flour".  Either way, both are great additions to your pizza dough.  I'm currently working on a Semolina bread for my bakery using high gluten, durum, and semolina.
If you have coarse semolina i probably wouldn't swap out a third of your white flour, i would swap out a sixth just so you get a feel for how its affecting your dough in terms of crust, crumb, flavor, and color.

keef richards

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 10:29:47 PM »
the semolina is coarse. it is from a zerega;s and son in the northeast. i'm thinking more semolina the better,like a piece of semolina bread with sauce and cheese. but still keeping it thin and tasting the semolina in the crust. am i asking too much?

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 11:05:03 AM »
I totally get where your coming from.  A good semolina crust is not asking too much.  I will say that if your going to use 30% semolina, your going to have to adjust the hydration.  Semolina absorbs water slower than your white flour, but it will hydrate, sometimes resulting in a very tight dough.  I know that if i swapped out 30% of the high gluten in my recipe with semolina and used the same amount of water, i would end up with a tight, dry dough which could be troublesome to stretch into a pizza without letting it rest several times during stretching.  It would be more like bagel dough.
Just keep an eye on your water content and post your results if you can.

pizzapan