Author Topic: Blue Steel  (Read 1892 times)

Offline doughboy55

Blue Steel
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »
So today i received my 2 beautiful blue steel pans to make teglia pizza in and i think i ruined them. I wasn't aware i was not suppose to wash them with soap and water and i did upon receiving them. The pans now look a little weird did i ruin them? It almost looks like the paint got moved around on the pans its hard to explain did i ruin the pans already before even using them?

buceriasdon

Re: Blue Steel
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »
You'll be fine, they might need reseasoning is all. Heat your oven up to 250 to 300F. Coat the pan with lard or bacon grease. Don't use a liquid vegetable oil because it will leave a sticky surface and the pan will not be properly seasoned.  Put the pan in the oven. In 15 minutes, remove the pan & pour out any excess grease. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 2 hours. Repeating this process a couple of times is recommended as it will help create a stronger "seasoning" bond. I do the same process with a new wok which is not cast iron and it works great. Any iron or steel except stainless can be "seasoned" this way but it is most used for cast iron skillets to seal the surface. Hope this helps.
Don

So today i received my 2 beautiful blue steel pans to make teglia pizza in and i think i ruined them. I wasn't aware i was not suppose to wash them with soap and water and i did upon receiving them. The pans now look a little weird did i ruin them? It almost looks like the paint got moved around on the pans its hard to explain did i ruin the pans already before even using them?

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »
Thanks Don i appreciate it.

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:14:32 PM »
Bluing steel is a method of rust prevention:    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)
Now let's see some pictures of your pies. ;D
Don

Thanks Don i appreciate it.

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:19:52 PM »
Is it common early in the process for a little browning in some spots to occur?

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »
Yep, Nothing to be concerned about. The seasoning of steel is a treatment to make the surface nonstick. The more it's used the better it gets.

Is it common early in the process for a little browning in some spots to occur?

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
Alright i was just making sure i got a little worried so far its been the oven for about an hour and i took it out to redistribute the lard on the pan since it looks a little uneven (more in some area's). After 2 hours do i wash the pan and clean the lard off or just leave it as is?

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »
Any excess lard should be wiped with a paper towel, bake for another hour, it's good. The surface should not have any liquid on it, a dull sheen is best.

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »
ahhh okay afterwards should i wash it with warm water or leave it be?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 05:31:54 AM »
ahhh okay afterwards should i wash it with warm water or leave it be?

You should never wash the pan as it will rust.  Any residue should be wiped off with a paper towel once the pan cools.

Matt

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
thanks for the advise i will refrain from doing that.

buceriasdon

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »
Doughboy, I'd just try a pie. If there is a problem with sticking then clean the stuck on crust with a paper towel and coarse salt and season again. I do wash my wok with soapy water and rinse and dry but that's a different kettle of fish. Good luck and please keep us posted :D
Don

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »
I just made a pie with it today no sticking issues what so ever. I did use olive oil to put a small coat on the pan as for the recipe called for but no issues.

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »
That's great! Glad it worked out for you.
Don

I just made a pie with it today no sticking issues what so ever. I did use olive oil to put a small coat on the pan as for the recipe called for but no issues.

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »
Alright now that i look at my pan it looks like it developed rust from washing it in water or what is it. I only had the pan for 2 days.... this is the browning i was talking about can rust develop that quick on a new pan or is this just the seasoning process?
http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc504/blizzgeek22/pan/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:36:17 PM by doughboy55 »

buceriasdon

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »
Doughboy, I stand by my earlier statement, this is nothing to worry about. I repeat:Blue steel is not painted or coated steel. It is simply a steel which has undergone a form of heat treatment which gives it its bluish color and which protects temporarily against oxidation. Discoloration is nothing to be concerned about. Seasoning is an entirely different process and will remain permanent with proper care.
Don

Alright now that i look at my pan it looks like it developed rust from washing it in water or what is it. I only had the pan for 2 days.... this is the browning i was talking about can rust develop that quick on a new pan or is this just the seasoning process?
http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc504/blizzgeek22/pan/

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 02:28:39 PM »
Alright thanks i just got worried because i thought i blew a bunch of money by ruining the pans what you recommend for keeping them in a good "seasoned state".