Author Topic: Latest New York  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Latest New York
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:06:25 AM »
Here's my latest NY style.  Too much dough and cheese.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: Latest New York
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 03:06:57 AM »
another pic

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 03:08:04 AM »
 :-X

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 07:42:26 AM »
Nathan,
Love the char.

Are you saying you have too thick of a crust? Or is the rim way too big? or both? Hard to tell from the photos.

I use a 14oz dough ball for a 16" pizza. How much did yours weigh? I can also suggest the stretching instructions contained in the Patsy's thread as a way to remove the large rim.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Online Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 08:12:38 AM »
 ::)

Looks good to me!!!  DROOL!!! :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 02:18:11 PM »
yeah pie looks damn good !  ;D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »
That weighed 25 ounces.  I had been using 19.5 ounces for NY style with the 16 inch stone.  I've read Big Daves suggestions about using .11 for the thickness factor for NY but I think that'd be a bit much (22 oz. for a 16 inch).  Since I got this stone the other day I wanted to try a little thicker crust (not much) just to try it and since I can make a bigger pizza now.  I just used too much. 

I'll probably get a new peel.  The one I have is 17.5"x17.5".  I have to make the pizza a little bigger than the peel to make an 18" (which I don't like doing).

The rim was definitelty too big IMO.  One of the reasons I've been thinking about using a little more dough is the middle of my pizzas are always super thin.  The rim is usually pretty good though. 

A few months ago I was struggling to get my dough to stretch out good without tearing, now it stretches too easy maybe.  I have tried mixing it a little longer but it seems to make no difference.  I can't even hand toss it anymore because it wouldn't fit on my peel.  All I do is pat it out a little with it sitting on the counter then I pick it up to stretch it but it's so relaxed it stretches no problem. 

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 05:46:11 PM »
Nathan,
Slink over to the Patsy's thread and try my mixing and stretching directions. They may help you. I faced a similar concern a few weeks ago and I ended up watching a professional pizza maker and was then able to duplicate his technique. It is described in detail as well as photographed to make duplication a cinch.

Also, the mixing portion of the instructions are worth their weight in gold. Trust me on this. Use the rest periods, add flour gradually, and make absolutely certain that you hand knead at the end. Your dough will be spectacular. You can also cut down on the dough ball that way without having an ultra thin middle.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:57:15 PM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

pizzapan