Author Topic: BakingBusiness.com Article--Yeast Innovations  (Read 822 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
BakingBusiness.com Article--Yeast Innovations
« on: December 14, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »
BakingBusiness.com has an interesting article on recent yeast innovations at http://www.bakingbusiness.com/News/News%20Home/Features/2010/12/Ingr%20RD%20Yeast.aspx?NewsLetter=true.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: BakingBusiness.com Article--Yeast Innovations
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 12:56:51 AM »
Very nice reading here...almost sounds like a yeast on steroids or something.
 :-D

Seriously though,Its amazing how far research and development has come,that can even lessen or shorten the times to making doughs of many types.
 :)
-Bill

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:29:26 AM »
I would love to try the Bakers Select product. It may be interesting to see how it performs in a rapid dough and an extremely long room temp dough (like Roberto's).

John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »
Bill, one of the interesting things that I have read about creating new yeast strains is that from the point of inception to the point of introduction to the marketplace can take as long as ten years. See, for example, the last sentence in another article on yeast at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8912.msg77255/topicseen.html#msg77255. One of the hottest areas of yeast development at the moment is the addition of Vitamin D, which is also a hot, but controversial, topic on the nutrition scene.

John, on occasion I have called the foodservice side of yeast companies and have had some very nice discussions with professionals who work that side of the business, as opposed to the retail side where the customer service reps know surprisingly little about the technical aspects of their own products. I have never asked for samples, but I wouldn't be surprised that they might give you some if you call and ask for them. You are much more knowledgeable about pizza making than even most professionals, you know the jargon, and can intelligently articulate your interest, so I know that you will come across more as a professional than as a home baker. If you tell them that your interest is as a pizza professional rather than a home baker, you are more likely to get samples.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:10 AM »
I called and emailed Lesaffre  Lesaffre Yeast Corp., Milwaukee, WI about getting a sample of the recently introduced SAF-instant premium yeast.

This is the emailed I received this morning.

Hello Norma

I am not in the baking yeast side of our business these days.  I have forwarded your inquiry to the folks that can help you out within Lesaffre. They should be contacting you shortly.

Best regards,

Phil

If I have any success in obtaining some of the SAF-instant premium yeast, I will post here.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!