Author Topic: Self-rising Flour  (Read 6115 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
Self-rising Flour
« on: June 25, 2006, 10:57:25 PM »
Has anyone tried making a pizza with self-rising flour?

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Self-rising Flour
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 09:54:17 AM »
No, but what is the leavening agent?  Aren't those flours using a chemical leavener like baking soda / powder?  If so it would probably produce a strange pizza.  If you try it let us know how it comes out.

Bill

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »
Self-rising flour is a mixture of flour, baking powder and salt. According to wikipedia, these are common ratios:

U.S. customary:
one cup flour
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch to 1/2 teaspoon salt

Metric:
100 g flour
3 g baking powder
1 g or less salt

There are a few recipes on this forum that use combinations of the three ingredients but not self-rising flours as such, as best I can recall.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 07:29:56 PM »
The rule is: when using self-rising flour to replace "all-purpose flour", omit the salt from the recipe.

I use self-rising flour in other baked goods, but I dont see me ever using it in a yeast bread or pizza dough recipes.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »
GSSCHWIN:
   Good afternoon. Are you still interested in making a pizza employing "SELF RAISING FLOUR"?????? If so I have a recipe that a major pizza chain uses that employs BAKING POWDER & A/P flour as well as other flours. You can easily make your own S/R flour just from the info that PETER provided. or I would be happy to do the math for you.
  One thing, I do not nor do knowledgeable bakers recommend the use of chemical leaveners where YEAST is used...
WHY.... It toughens the yeasted lean bread dough. However, Beauty is in the eye of the be-holder. I must be truthful, about 4 years ago I did this recipe with the baking powder & A/P flour Together with bread flour & I remember remarking to my self that considering the use of powder & the A/P flour it really wasn't a bad pizza dough. I thought you would like to know. Good luck & have a nice day.

~DINKS.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »
DINKS,

It has become quite common among take-and-bake operators to come up with dough formulations that use both yeast and a chemical leavening system. One example of such a chemical leavening system is an encapsulated leavening system called WRISE. It is a product available mainly to professionals and is made up of a blend of sodium aluminum phosphate (SALP) and baking soda. Because of the encapsulation of the leavening system, it kicks into action only when the pizza is being baked. That way, if a customer lets the dough sit around too long before baking, the crust will still rise because of the chemical leavening system. The yeast quantity is usually kept low in T-n-Bs so that the dough doesn't ferment/rise too fast or become gassy. So the combination of yeast and WRISE is like a belt-and-suspenders approach.

Peter

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 03:49:19 PM »
 PETER:
  Good day. Thanks for the info. Isn't  chemistry wonderful. Some years past  a comedian  named FOXX (I cannot remember his full name. His referance was to peope who are "HEALTH NUTS". He said he felt sorry for them because when they die they will die from "NOTHING". He should know that if the public ate enough of these pizzas as you just described they will not die in vain. I enjoyed your post. Enjoy the rest of the day.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 12:11:58 AM »
Anyone wanna take this challenge? I'm curious to see if anyone can trick this dough into making a decent pie.

What say you?

;D
-Bill

Offline dms

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 09:44:54 AM »
Anyone wanna take this challenge? I'm curious to see if anyone can trick this dough into making a decent pie.

What say you?

;D

Papa Murphy's and other industrial take and bake pizza use something much like it.  (Well, they use a specialized micro-encapsulated stuff, but the idea is the same.)