Author Topic: Quarry Tiles?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline PizzaMakesMeHappy

Quarry Tiles?
« on: November 07, 2010, 06:17:34 PM »
Where on earth do I find a quarry tile in portland, or. our pizza stone is in storage, cant wait for it to make pizza, so im hunting for a quarry tile. (yes the idea came from alton brown)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Quarry Tiles?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »
I got mine at  hardware store, that is as large as Home Depot.  Home Depot by the way did NOT carry them at the time I was looking.

Good luck, hopefully somebody in your area can give the name of a place to go to.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
I could NOT find any quarry tiles at any of my stores,even the next town over,30 miles away,did not have them either.Im talking the Lowes,HD and other tile stocking stores.
 ::)
So I found a 16 inch ceramic pizza stone from a Big Lots store that worked very well for many months.
It cost me 10 bucks.
 ;D
It did crack into a few places about a week ago,but I think maybe because it was removed out of the oven and dropped too hard down on the counter by the wife when she was cooking something else.
 :-D

Anyways,just letting you know a cheap stone can work pretty well until you locate your quarry tiles.
 :pizza:

ps,forgot to add,K mart sometimes carry them too,but I think they are like 20 bucks or so.

-Bill

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
my local wal-mart sells pizza stones, 16" round I believe it is... for $9.96 ... not thick, but good enough for the price

One of them cracked, but I still use it over my quarry tiles.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »
I also had a devil of a time finding quarry tiles despite being in a major metro area.  Seems this is due to the super cheap cost (the big chains can't make any $$), and the fact that these are now most commonly used only in commerical kitchens and similar industrial settings.
Anyway, I finally found them at a tile only place, sort of a showroom and wholesale warehouse affair.
So grab your yellow pages, look up tile, and start calling the closest listing and work from there.  I actually found them on my second call and like 6 miles away.  The best part was 20 6x6 tiles cost $9.72 out the door.
Good hunting!

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
I was going to suggest a tile outlet myself
Don

I also had a devil of a time finding quarry tiles despite being in a major metro area.  Seems this is due to the super cheap cost (the big chains can't make any $$), and the fact that these are now most commonly used only in commerical kitchens and similar industrial settings.
Anyway, I finally found them at a tile only place, sort of a showroom and wholesale warehouse affair.
So grab your yellow pages, look up tile, and start calling the closest listing and work from there.  I actually found them on my second call and like 6 miles away.  The best part was 20 6x6 tiles cost $9.72 out the door.
Good hunting!

Offline Davydd

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »
Common commercial kitchen floor quarry tiles are a commodity item. Almost all commercial tile outlets that cater to contractors and designers will have them. They just don't advertise them or even display them, but all you have to do is ask. Home Depot gets them in sporadically but I have never seen them advertise them.
Davydd