Author Topic: Article on Chicago Pizzas  (Read 841 times)

Offline BTB

Article on Chicago Pizzas
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »
The Slice Pizza Blog yesterday had an article entitled "The United States of Pizza: Illinois (Chicago Edition)."  While it is woefully lacking on information and recommendations on many or most of the great Chicago thin and thick crust pizzerias, it does provides some useful and interesting information that can be helpful to those not too familiar with Chicago's great pizzas.  See article and enjoy a lot of the good information and pictures about some of the real Chicago style pizzas at:

The United States of Pizza: Illinois (Chicago Edition)http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-united-states-of-pizza-illinois-chicago-best-pizza-in-chicago-deep-dish-thin-crust.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedmeaslice+%28Slice%29

Unfortunately, like many articles these days about pizzas across the country, it puts a disproportionate emphasis on the in-vogue Neapolitan style pizzas, which is one respect - at least in the "top 5" ratings in the write up - reflects a style of pizza liked by young or cub reporters or writers (often east coast transplants) that is somewhat foreign to the great traditional Chicago pizza scene.  For instance, Jeff Ruby's Top Five Chicago Pizzas does not reflect one traditional kind of Chicago pizza (either deep dish or thin or cracker crust).   Instead, he puts a style of pizza -- Neapolitan (which he prefers) -- ahead of any of the geat, traditional and highly rated Chicago pizzas (like . . . did they never hear of some place called . . . "Home Run Inn" or "Aurelio's" or even original Uno's/Due's?)  It's a good thing the majority of pizza lovers in the Chicago area don't agreed with him.   Ed Levine's ratings were somewhat fair, except I don't agree with his placement of Great Lakes or Spacca Napoli in the top 5.  Likewise with Steve Dolinsky's top 5, I only agree with Burt's Place and Lou Malnati's.  Now I love some good Neapolitan pizzas, but generally not ahead of the classic Chicago greats.

Just one person's opinion as I think someone needs to speak up for the great traditional styles of Chicago pizza.

--BTB       :P

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Article on Chicago Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »
I agree with you wholeheartedly, BTB.  It's not that I don't appreciate a good Neapolitan pie, I really do, but focus on the type of pie that is unique to the area and exemplifies the Chicago Style pizza eating experience.  Are these places they rate so high good pizza places?  Yes, but theirs is a type of pie you can get all over the place.  You may have to ask around or do some research to find a place but they're all over.  If you're coming to Chicago and looking for a Chicago Style deep dish pizza and this type of review is what you get you may end up scratching your head wondering, WTF?

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline BTB

Re: Article on Chicago Pizzas
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »
Another Slice Article entitled: "Chicago Is the Best Pizza City in the U.S. (So Sayeth 'Travel & Leisure' Magazine)"

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/chicago-is-the-best-pizza-city-in-the-us-america.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedmeaslice+%28Slice%29

I traveled across the country extensively on business and even lived in a few different states and have to agree . . . Chicago is the best pizza city for Chicago Style thin and deep dish pizza.  In this respect they are not the "second city."

--BTB         ;D

pizzapan