Author Topic: Can I freeze buffalo mozzarella?  (Read 6207 times)

Offline msgenie516

• I love to cook!
Can I freeze buffalo mozzarella?
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
Hi,

Not having a good day here!  First, I discovered that I paid WAY too much for my buffalo mozzarella and now I see that the expiration date is coming up by the end of this week.  I didn't even notice that in the store (usually, it's the first thing I check but I was in a big hurry and forgot).  The brand is Ambrosi Mozzarella di Bufalo Campana.  If I make ONE more pizza this week, I think my husband will rebel! 

Can I freeze this cheese?  If so, is there anything I need to know?  Thanks!   :)  Genie
Happy newbie pizza maker here, still learning!  I use my 22 year old KitchenAid K5SS and am waiting for a brand new Hobart N50.  Recently purchased a "slightly used" one on eBay but it turned out to be a disaster.  Be careful when buying used equipment on eBay. I have learned a good lesson from this.  Also have a Zojirushi bread machine, baking stone, and Super Peel (can't seem to learn to use that the RIGHT way, but working on it).

Offline boudie

Re: Can I freeze buffalo mozzarella?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
I freeze mine all the time.  I don't do anything special, just put it in the freezer.

Online Matthew

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:43:12 PM »
Hi,

Not having a good day here!  First, I discovered that I paid WAY too much for my buffalo mozzarella and now I see that the expiration date is coming up by the end of this week.  I didn't even notice that in the store (usually, it's the first thing I check but I was in a big hurry and forgot).  The brand is Ambrosi Mozzarella di Bufalo Campana.  If I make ONE more pizza this week, I think my husband will rebel! 

Can I freeze this cheese?  If so, is there anything I need to know?  Thanks!   :)  Genie

I wouldn't freeze it at this stage, nor would I use it on pizza in a conventional oven as it will turn into a watery mess.  My advice, make a nice Caprese salad.  I buy flash frozen buffalo mozarella from Campania that is frozen as soon as it's made to preserve its flavor & texture.

Matt

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:50:32 AM »
I wouldn't freeze it at this stage, nor would I use it on pizza in a conventional oven as it will turn into a watery mess.  My advice, make a nice Caprese salad.  I buy flash frozen buffalo mozarella from Campania that is frozen as soon as it's made to preserve its flavor & texture.

Matt

Matt - Is the brand you use found in the supermarket, or are you ordering online?

John

Online Matthew

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 07:09:30 AM »
Matt - Is the brand you use found in the supermarket, or are you ordering online?

John

John,
It's Torre Lupara, the same brand that Roberto uses at Keste (http://www.torrelupara.eu/). I buy it at a cash & carry.  It's very well priced $5 for 200g (wholesale)

Matt

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:48 AM »
Thanks Matt - I think David said that brand is available at Accardi Foods up my way. Looking forward to trying it out. Do you drain overnight on paper towels?

John

Online Matthew

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »
Thanks Matt - I think David said that brand is available at Accardi Foods up my way. Looking forward to trying it out. Do you drain overnight on paper towels?

John

No problem John.  Once thawed, I slice it & let it sit in a bowl for a couple of hours at room temp.  Every half hour or so I drain out any liquid.  The texture is much more firm than the fresh.  Let me know what you think.

Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
david is right, its at accardi.

When I was in naples I ate at a number of spots that served fresh buffala included in a cheese plate.   It was much more firm that the costco buffala, or any other buffala I found in the states.   I think thats just part of it actually being fresh!

Online Matthew

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »
david is right, its at accardi.

When I was in naples I ate at a number of spots that served fresh buffala included in a cheese plate.   It was much more firm that the costco buffala, or any other buffala I found in the states.   I think thats just part of it actually being fresh!

You're absolutely right.  By the time buffalo mozzarella arrives to North America, it's pretty much at the end of its life & as a results is really soft & almost mushy.  A cheesemaker in Toronto makes buffalo mozzarella from Ontario water buffalo milk & the texture is much closer to the Lupara than to any imported fresh that I have ever tried. 

Matt

Offline matermark

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
You're absolutely right.  By the time buffalo mozzarella arrives to North America, it's pretty much at the end of its life & as a results is really soft & almost mushy.  A cheesemaker in Toronto makes buffalo mozzarella from Ontario water buffalo milk & the texture is much closer to the Lupara than to any imported fresh that I have ever tried. 

Matt

What is their source for the buffalo milk, Matt?

(I'm in Buffalo...)

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 03:26:59 AM »
I freeze in pizza sized portions. Once thawed and sliced I squeeze between pieces of kitchen roll to extract liquid.

A tip I obviously learned from this forum.