Author Topic: Hi iam from germany and looking for a job@ a NY Pizzaria in NYC!  (Read 1653 times)

Offline tobi68

Hi iam from germany and looking for a job@ a NY Pizzaria in NYC!
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »
Since years iam intrested in making pizza espacially ny style pizza so its on the hand that i want to work some day @ a ny pizza spot :)) and the time is now so if u have any suggestions i would be very happy!!

thank you a lot!

greets

tobi

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Hi iam from germany and looking for a job@ a NY Pizzaria in NYC!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Tobi,

Quick question/Schnelle Frage: Where in Germany are you from?/ Aus welchem Teil Deutschland's stammst Du?

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline tobi68

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
hi, ich komme aus Mannheim bist du auch aus Deutschland??

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
Aus/From Essen.  :)

Tobi,

Most members here don't speak German so we should continue to talk in English, out of respect and so that other members can give you advice, too. But you can always send me a Private Message also.

"Die meisten Leute hier sprechen kein Deutsch in diesem Forum deshalb ist es besser in Englisch zu sprechen sodass andere Dir auch Rat geben koennen. Du kannst mir aber auch eine private Nachricht schicken"
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline tobi68

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
Ah from Essen my Dad is a ruhrpott native too :)  yes lets keep it english, nice to meet a another "pizza nerd" from germany! are u running a pizza store?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 05:31:45 PM »
I wish I would, but no.

To answer your question, though...it's not easy to get a visa these days over here. You'd have to find someone/pizzeria who will sponsor you and apply for a work visa.
Mike

Offline tobi68

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:11:02 AM »
So u live in the States?

that`s what iam here for to find a Pizzaria :) !

Offline cranky

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 04:46:33 AM »
So u live in the States?

that`s what iam here for to find a Pizzaria :) !

It might be easier to stay where you are and learn about methods, ingredients, recipes and equipment over the internet.  It is very expensive to live in ny.  The wages paid by pizza shops are low.  There is a lot of unemployment here.  A pizza shop owner would have to go through a lot of unfamiliar bureaucratic difficulty to hire you, get a work permit, etc., for a job that could be done by anyone off the street already here. 

Offline tobi68

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »
it`s not about the money its about to get the flavour of a NYC Pizzaria! :)

Offline cranky

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
it`s not about the money its about to get the flavour of a NYC Pizzaria! :)

It would be an interesting adventure and education.  Apart from the money you would make or not make, it would still be very difficult and costly for a pizza shop owner to deal with the federal government to get you a work permit.  He would have to prove he can not find someone with the necessary skill to do the job in the local workforce.  There is no skill to be an entry level worker in a pizza shop.  There are unemployed people everywhere in NYC looking for work.  I went through the legal process once to hire an employee with special skills.  It is a headache.  Why would a small business owner be willing to go through this when he or she can hire a dozen people who are already legal?   If you are that determined to do this maybe you could do it under some formal educational or cultural exchange program.  Or, maybe you could be writing a book about pizza restaurants and apply as an author, restaurant reviewer, sociologist.   

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:55:28 AM »
Not that I would ever condone illegal activity, but a significant portion of the restaurant industry in the U.S. is powered by low-paid workers who lack work papers, immigration papers, etc. Whether this is right or wrong is way outside what this forum covers. I'm sure the OP knows he/she won't be getting an H-1 visa for this type of work.

Offline cranky

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:11:50 PM »
Not that I would ever condone illegal activity, but a significant portion of the restaurant industry in the U.S. is powered by low-paid workers who lack work papers, immigration papers, etc. Whether this is right or wrong is way outside what this forum covers. I'm sure the OP knows he/she won't be getting an H-1 visa for this type of work.

I was trying to say that it would be close to impossible to accomplish this legally.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »
I was trying to say that it would be close to impossible to accomplish this legally.

Agreed.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Here's an idea, which should be legal and not interfere with any immigration law.

Germans don't need a Visa when visiting the US. They are allowed to stay for up to three months. Tobi could use those three months and do an unpaid internship if some pizzeria owner is willing to take him in. That would be my logical move, or best bet, especially if money's not the issue.

Mike

Offline cranky

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »
Here's an idea, which should be legal and not interfere with any immigration law.

Germans don't need a Visa when visiting the US. They are allowed to stay for up to three months. Tobi could use those three months and do an unpaid internship if some pizzeria owner is willing to take him in. That would be my logical move, or best bet, especially if money's not the issue.

He would need to find an owner/manager who would allow him to get exposure to all aspects of the business, ingredients, equipment, dough mixing and handling, recipes, preparing skins, dressing pies, oven work, everything.  Most entry positions get trained to do one job and that is all they do, kind of assembly line work.   He would need to do a little of this and a little of that and frankly pretty much be in the way.  Maybe a friendly manager might be willing to do this.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »

The VWP is not intended for such things.  You would need a J-1 visa.   

pizzapan