Author Topic: Forni A Legna  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Forni A Legna
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
Has anyone seen one of these?  They have good pictures of the inside.  The oven must not retain heat very well, because in most of the videos they take the door off, load the pizza and put the door back on.  The sides and the back of the inside of the oven is made of stainless, probably has some of the high temp insulation behind it as well.  Do you think that if the exhaust were put on the front, and the door to oven height ratio was 63% that it would retain heat any better?  I have the materials to build this thing if it can be made better.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIgHLUkmNN4&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIgHLUkmNN4&amp;feature=related</a>

http://www.forni-a-legna.com/

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:49:51 AM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline scott123

Re: Forni A Legna
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »
Do you think that if the exhaust were put on the front, and the door to oven height ratio was 63% that it would retain heat any better?

The exhaust position and height ratio are pretty much meaningless when you talk about the effect of a flimsy stainless steel ceiling with no insulation.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
Insulation is easy to rectify, the problem is that there is no mass for retaining heat.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
I could see mass as being integral to the hearth, but is it that vital to the ceiling?  As long as the ceiling is well insulated, it should radiate back whatever heat is coming up from the burning wood.

Theoretically speaking, 2" of firebrick with a 1000 f face should radiate just as much heat as well insulated 1/8" steel at the same temp.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »
With mass you are able to maintain high temps with a small or no fire for a long time. Using only reflected heat you can't.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
In anybodies opinion could I get by with the stainless sloping walls (insulation behind) and a flat firebrick roof?  I'd want the door 16" wide and the floor 36" diameter.  How tall does it need to be?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
You can get by with the oven in your kitchen.  What are your performance criteria and design parameters (What are you trying to do and what do you have to do it with)?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 06:49:53 PM »
The performance criteria would be the minimum of what it would take to upgrade this guys design to be able to cook a pizza.  I'm not impressed with the videos of what is able to be done with this design.  As you pointed out, there is no thermal mass to hold heat and I don't like the exhaust at the top and would like a traditional front face.  The design parameters would be something similar to this design, I can do this one as is.  I have no masonry skills, and would like to try and get this built without any.  If you can tell me what needs to be done (short of building the real deal ) I am fairly confident I can do it.

Thanks Tscarborough, I'm glad you accepted my invite to check this out.  Your oven is to die for, but Im not ready to die for it yet.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 07:21:34 PM »
Specifically, what are you looking for in said pizza?  I know you like some char and burnt bubbles, what else?  A lot of pizzas at once (meaning 1-2 minute pizzas), 1 or 2, portable oven, cheap oven, etc.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 08:56:21 PM »
My peel is 14" wide, I generally get skins stretched to 11 or 12".  Maximum 2 at once, always finish by 4 minutes, usually 2.5 minutes. (caputo only) Portable in the sense that I would like to build it in the shop and move it to the backyard and put it on a stand.  Some finish work could be done at that point if necessary.  But not portable like put it in the back of a vehicle and go cook somewhere.  As far as cheap, I don't know. Cheap in the sense that it isn't an all brick wfo, but otherwise not.  I already have everything to build a copy of his oven, except for the fibrex blanket, and may need a few more firebricks.  I'd like the general shape to be similar, with the exception of the exhaust and front fascade. I could even firebrick in the end opposite of the front door if needed.  Thanks.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »
I would take a look at this for a moderately priced oven. 
http://www.roundboyovencompany.com/2010/05/wood-fired-ribs-and-new-chef.html

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »
Thanks ERASMO.  Check out the new Forno Bravo gas or gas/wood combo ovens.  http://www.fornobravo.com/commercial_pizza_oven/modena2g.html