Author Topic: yeast question  (Read 2134 times)

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
yeast question
« on: April 20, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »
Hi y'all!
I'm new to this forum, but not to making my own pizza at home. Got most of the essentials, KA mixer, quarry tiles in the oven, peel, parchment paper, IDY (had to search here to figure out what that stood for!), and a gas oven that I can get up to 500 degrees. Now to find better canned tomatoes, KASL flour, and THE sauce recipe.

A few years back I worked at a retail gourmet store and we sold some Pizza Yeast, maybe the SAF brand? maybe another brand? It promised a real pizzeria flavor to the dough and it was darn good. Now I'm not working in retail and haven't seen the yeast in several years. Does anyone know of a special pizza yeast and where it might be found?

BTW, the last pizza I made was a by-the-seat-of-your-pants style when I decided at the last minute to make a deep dish with the dough I had in the freezer. Put some provolone and mozzarella on first, then some leftover homemade tomato sauce (Simple Tomato Sauce from Giada DeLaurentis on the Food Network), and topped the sauce with some sliced homemade meatballs. Oh man, I was reminded of why I don't make deep dish pizza very often - I could have eaten the whole thing!

I'm so glad to have found "kindred spirits" on the quest for the best pizza I can make. I look forward to learning from you all.

Thanks!
pyegal - who is Southern and never tasted NY pizza :(

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: yeast question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 07:13:57 AM »
pyegal, I think you are referring to SAF yeast in a small foil bag which comes vacuum packed. I don't believe it said Pizza Yeast on it unless they had another line of so called special yeast. I found the SAF foil bag of yeast at Sam's club in PA...it was very fresh and worked quite well, I kept the leftover in the frig sealed tightly

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 07:33:12 AM »
The Pizza Yeast was definitely labeled that way and had red and green graphics on the foil package.

Do most of you here use SAF yeast or what other brands? I think the large bag I have in the freezer at present is Red Star. But I have bought SAF in the past also.

Offline JohnA

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 03:08:51 AM »
Wow, I found this old thread while also looking for a source of where I could buy the Saf pizza yeast in question. Yes, there is a Saf pizza yeast, called Saf-pizza, and it has a green label. But so far I have not found a source for it anywhere in the US where I can actually buy any of it.

Here is the info on it, due to this being my first post here, I can't post it as a hyperlink. Even after being a long time lurker here.
Anyway, just add the required www(dot) in front of it, and it will take you to Saf's product website for it.

lesaffre.com/en/yeast-bread-making/leading-brands/saf-pizza.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:14:00 AM by JohnA »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »

Offline old criter

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »
After seeing this post I contacted Lesaffre this morning asking where the product might be available. This was the reply:

"Unfortunately, the SAF Pizza yeast is not a retail product available to consumers.  Using a 'fast acting' yeast such as SAF Instant or RED STAR Quick Rise, you will be able to achieve similar results at home.  The Pizza yeast contains a 'relaxer' that is really geared toward commercial pizza operations to aid in better dough sheeting.  This ingredient is really not necessary for small batches of dough-you can achieve the same result by just allowing the dough to rest an additional 10 minutes or so."

pizzapan