Author Topic: Charcoal barrel smoker WFO design - is it viable?  (Read 3832 times)

Offline HASassin

Re: Charcoal barrel smoker WFO design - is it viable?
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
First; I am not an expert, but I do enjoy thinking out loud.  1.3 hours may have been enough time to correctly heat the dome, but as you have found, heat follows the path of least resistance.  If this were my oven I would find something to get the firewood/coals above the floor just a little.  The heat needs to be able to radiate downward as much as possible. Maybe even as simple as a firebrick on edge with the logs placed across would allow air to flow underneath the coals and produce heating towards the floor. Please hurry up and figure out the problem, so I don't have to on my build (which features much the same floor as yours) ;D

There is no need to buy stainless for an exhaust.  Steel will do perfectly fine.

Just my .02

- Jet

ok ill try that, but doesnt it need to be like a ramp elevation, becuase how will i push the coals back from the front otherwise?  is that what you mean by firebrick on edge?
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline HASassin

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »
I am rooting for you as well Hassasin.  I hope you are able to solve your problems.  I also would like to know why you aren't getting your desired hearth temps.   Is it possible that too much heat is exiting the front?  I would think that vermiculite and firebrick is sufficient for the floor but I have no idea.   How thick is your floor (vermiculite + firebrick)?

Chau

it could be possible that too much is escaping from the front, i havnt actually finished all of my insulation, nor have i made my brick arch yet, there my opening is a good 3 or 4 inches bigger than it should be

also i have like almost 5 inches of vermiculite underneath the firebrick, which are standard size - maybe like 3 ish inches?
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 12:11:31 AM »
ok ill try that, but doesnt it need to be like a ramp elevation, becuase how will i push the coals back from the front otherwise?  is that what you mean by firebrick on edge?

Yes, just something for one end of the logs to sit up on to get air under, while the oven is heating up.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline HASassin

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »
From what I see in the new picture over at fornobravo you still have airflow issues to workout.  The vent looks to be located inside the dome at the top front.  Still not correct.  The vent needs to be outside the oven entry.  The Home Depot square to round you made the vent out of is also not suitable   The metal is too thin and will burn out fast, and is galvanized which can have it leaving toxic zinc compounds in your oven once you heat it up. 

My main concern is that you've commented multiple times about things being permanent, but the materials and methods you continue to use are not what would be used in a permanent oven.  You have to decided if you want to scrape it all together as is and have it function however it does and still probably make better pizza then your home oven or if you want to basically redo a lot of what you've already done with proven materials and methods and have a oven that will run at 900F with a good balance of heat and make pizza like only a well build wood burning brick oven can make.

Jet Deck,
I'm curious why you think a 14" dome is going to be too high?  That's fairly low in brick oven terms, 12" is the lowest dome I've ever heard mention of.

ok so, now what if i move the chimney above and between the exterior arch, and the inner firebrick arch?
 (also is an inner firebrick arch necessary?
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline HASassin

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 12:14:05 PM »
another question is regarding my flue

i got my hands on a double walled steel vent pipe
that is 5 inches in diameter and 24 inches in high (or maybe a lil taller)

i am going to be moving it above and a little foward of the opening

is that big enough?
or should i go with 6 inches?

its gonna be like in the picture below, except scooted outwards off of the edge
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline jerrym

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
HASassin,

the only help i can offer is this UK forum which is a good fit with your needs.

http://woodovenukforum.forumup.co.uk/index.php?mforum=woodovenukforum

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
IMO, once the 5" pipe gets hot, it should provide enough draft.  It should be just fine.  Get a wind break around that thing and fire it up.

Offline HASassin

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
IMO, once the 5" pipe gets hot, it should provide enough draft.  It should be just fine.  Get a wind break around that thing and fire it up.

sounds good thanks for your help, im going to be putting in the concrete today
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
sounds good thanks for your help, im going to be putting in the concrete today

::)  So the testing phase is over?

Offline HASassin

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »

::)  So the testing phase is over?

hrm well i did as much testing as is possible, i made a pizza - the top was done niceley but the bottom was underdone

that was as much testing as i could do i think (other than maybe cut the hearth bricks in half - but im not sure if that will do anything? - will it?

but i bascially lined the parts of the dome that the pizza will occupy with firebrics, to help it retain heat better and i am also currently trying to figure out this inner arch business right now

so right now im thinking two arches (one firebrick, one regular, and then the chimney sitting on both of them
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
use split firebrick and insulate under them,  otherwise they will never heat up.........

Offline HASassin

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »
use split firebrick and insulate under them,  otherwise they will never heat up.........

meaning 1.75 inches?

ive heard many instances of people using the 2.5 inch  brick with success
your saying its not possible at all, or just for me?
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline HASassin

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 01:19:46 AM »
i also have another question about chimney placement, and how to connect my exterior arch with my actual firebox dome thing
this is what im thinking about doing right now, and then just filling up all the parts you can see in, with vermicrete
ive heard if you have a air gap surrounding the chimney intake its good

ideas?

pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
You want all of the smoke and heat to go up the chimney.  Ive never seen an air gap, to me it might interfere with the natural convection.  But I am no mason, for sure.

I think your kinda in uncharted territory.  That UK forum looks interesting.  Keep us posted on your build.  When is the next fire?

Offline HASassin

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »
You want all of the smoke and heat to go up the chimney.  Ive never seen an air gap, to me it might interfere with the natural convection.  But I am no mason, for sure.

I think your kinda in uncharted territory.  That UK forum looks interesting.  Keep us posted on your build.  When is the next fire?

just clarifying incase i misunderstood you
the "gap" in my photo is going to be filled in with concrete, and not exposed to outside air.

but what i mean by airgap is that there will be an enlarged area for air above the exterior arch where the chimney is
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline HASassin

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
I think its to low in this application only.  I think that most of the heat will be radiated by his metal lid to the atmosphere.  There will be a much "thinner" layer of heat exiting the oven, so, he needs to get whats left of the thin layer down closer to the top of the pizza.

i actually remeasured my inner dome height and i made a dumb mistake

the height is actually 11.25'' from the heart...... so is that good?

also my opening arch is going to be around 7.3 high
and im still trying to figure out how wide to make it

the oven is about 18.3 inches wide
but could i make the opening around 15?
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
I think the air gap is a good idea. 

Are you saying that you are going to modify the top lid, and cut the front out more?  Or leave it the way it is currently,  and now you are just working on the brick structure in front of the oven?  Because it looks like more than 11.25" from the floor to the top of the dome.

The bottoms of the pizza didn't cook because you didn't let the 2.5" firebrick heat long enough.

The size of pizza you want to cook, and the size of your peel should determine how wide to make the front.  I would say at least 3 inches wider than what you want to cook would be sufficient.  If you think that 1.5" is enough room on each side to get the pizza poked in there....

Offline HASassin

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 11:52:52 PM »
I think the air gap is a good idea. 

Are you saying that you are going to modify the top lid, and cut the front out more?  Or leave it the way it is currently,  and now you are just working on the brick structure in front of the oven?  Because it looks like more than 11.25" from the floor to the top of the dome.

The bottoms of the pizza didn't cook because you didn't let the 2.5" firebrick heat long enough.

The size of pizza you want to cook, and the size of your peel should determine how wide to make the front.  I would say at least 3 inches wider than what you want to cook would be sufficient.  If you think that 1.5" is enough room on each side to get the pizza poked in there....

thanks

im going to balance the chimney on side on the edge of the oven, and the other side on the arch

it ill be attached with the rebar and fire mortared down

( i measured from the hearth inside the barrel (which is slightly elevated from the base 11.25)
pizza song
GIMME PIZZZA

pizzapan