Author Topic: Emergency Neapolitan  (Read 1062 times)

Offline DodgerBlue

Emergency Neapolitan
« on: December 06, 2010, 11:16:21 PM »
First off, thanks to everybody out there who has made it possible for me to get to the point of consistently turning out great pies. I have been trolling this forum for quite some time, baking pizzas a couple times a week. I finally signed up for an account and figured I'd post some pictures of my latest experiment. For the past couple months I've been baking pizzas in the jeff v style. Lately though I have been working on warm rise techniques so I have been only using idy in order to have a more stable control. Once I'm happy with where I'm at I will then incorporate my starter back in. These are some pics of the pizzas I made tonight using a quick warm rise, almost like making a ciabatta. A very wet dough about 72%. Bulk warm rise with a fold over at one hour and another at two hours. After another hour I balled them and proofed for one more hour. They seemed ready to cook. They weren't quite as strong as my normal dough but pretty good flavor for four hours. If the pics don't post now I'll figure it out later. Sorry for the quality crappy iPhone camera. Thanks again for the generosity of knowledge displayed on this forum.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Emergency Neapolitan
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:10:24 AM »
Welcome Dodgerblue.

I look forward to seeing your pies.  I think there is some type of a freeze aginst posting pics too soon after you register in order to protect against spam.

By the way its not too late to register under a better name.

Might I suggest:  "World Champion San Francisco Giants."

....I never get tired of typing that!

Offline DodgerBlue

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 02:25:48 AM »
It's still tough to hear those words. That must be it with the pictures though, thanks. Forgot to post the recipe kabf. 72% hydration. 1.1% idy. 3% salt.

Offline DodgerBlue

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 02:33:33 AM »
Also I found the best canned tomatoes to date for me. Trader joes plum tomatoes no salt. When I opened the can I couldn't believe how dense and flavorful the tomatoes were. Unlike almost all other Italians that I have tried which were limp and watery. I was able to crush 3/4 of them to make a thick sauce and then blend the other 1/4 with the remaining sauce to make a thinner yet still substantial sauce. All for $1.49.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 04:00:13 AM »
There is no ban. Anyone can post photos using the attach section at the lower left of the screen used to create a new message or post a reply. 

Offline DodgerBlue

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:43:51 AM »
Finally got it figured out, i hope. Thanks Bill. My iphone wouldn't let me do it from work, but here at my home computer i can. I think i have figured out how to shrink the picks and all. Hope this works try number three.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »
Nice looking pies there dodgerblue.  What type of flour are you using and how long are you baking for?

Chau

Offline DodgerBlue

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »
Thanks Chau. I used king Arthur bread flour for this batch. It cooked in a touch over two minutes. I have an old gas oven with a large broiler underneath that heats the oven. I heat my stone on the floor for two hours then place my stone 2 1/2 " below the broiler. It will usually cook in about two minutes. Can't wait to build my oven. Lately I have been using more of a 50/50 blend with bread flour and caputo with great results, an even lighter crust, but I thought that the bread flour would work better using a short rise. I figured my ciabatta always comes out light and airy after just a couple hours so I tried the same technique.

Erich

pizzapan