Author Topic: Text Orders for a Pizza Shop - Are you doing it?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline textingforpizza

Text Orders for a Pizza Shop - Are you doing it?
« on: November 17, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »
Hello Pizza Store Owners

A pizza store approached us looking for an ordering application for pizzas using just text. They wanted this app badly as they were getting ready for the holiday season. I wanted to check your honest opinions on this app before we make it available. THANKS.

Customers order via SMS (text messaging) - no wait times on phone.

Customer -> order
Your store <- Welcome to "My pizza" store. I see that you haven't ordered before. Let me know your name.
-> M J
<- Thanks M J. We are running a special today... What would you like to order. Just tell me the size and toppings.
-> Small pizza,  coke
<- Thanks. let me confirm your order- Small pizza with xxx toppings, Coke (size).,,,
<- We have a special with xxx with xxx. Would you be interested?
-> No
-> Let me get your address.
-> xxx road, San Franscisco, CA
-> System calls, takes the credit card number, confirms and processes it entirely

Pizza hut, Domino's have started using some mobile forms of campaign and ordering and they are seeing success. What about small stores?

Thanks.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Text Orders for a Pizza Shop - Are you doing it?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:28:10 PM »
One phone call can do it in 2 minutes VS 5 or 6 texts, plus a phone call?!  No thank you.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
One phone call can do it in 2 minutes VS 5 or 6 texts, plus a phone call?!  No thank you.

I agree - no thank you. To avoid being on hold, I'd prefer to order from a web site or a smartphone app. Click, click, click - all done.

Offline textingforpizza

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »
Thanks for your comments.

The last phone call is to just get a confirmation to avoid fraud but this can be skipped. Also, after the first time - things are only one text message as we have the information stored in your PoS system.

Would you be on hold on a Friday night for 5-6 mins while you get to an order taker? I wouldn't. I will try calling next pizza location.

Also, the smartphone apps requires data on the phone and possible an app too. Less than 7% of the smartphone users have data. Forget about the normal phone users!

We are trying to fill the void for guys who would like to other fast and do not have data. Next, now you have the mobile number - you can send them trivias and specials.

Why is PizzaHut and Domino's pushing - the stats looks really good.

Thanks.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »
Nope, still not something I would consider as a customer. I use SMS for short on-the-run bursts: "landed", "running late", "call Fred ASAP", "baby boy 8.5 lbs.", etc.  The thought of doing commerce over SMS has no appeal for me. And what the carriers charge for text is highway robbery. I don't want to use my monthly limit for ordering pizza which could take 4-5 messages.

The number of smart phones users with data plans is skyrocketing. Even in the relatively small, semi-rural are I live in, everyone I know has a smartphone with data.

If I had a pizzeria, I would create a simple app (iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 7) that would be free. You would get a free small pizza on your first order - which is where you would register your information. I could build a database, offering you specials based on your past orders or whatever menu items I want to move - depending on the time of day, what's in the queue, etc.

If I were a pizzeria operator, I would prefer to invest in this approach rather than a stop-gap for an old business model. But what do I know?

Offline textingforpizza

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »
You are right, Bill. But 4-5 messages is more like registration for first time. Next time, onwards - it is all automatic and 1-2 text messages.

You are leaving out the marketing aspect completely - you can lure these customers by doing lot of mobile campaigns. You give them some discount.

Anyway, if someone wants to do a trial for 1-2 months - please do PM me if something is interest. No charges for the pilot.

pizzapan