Author Topic: "freezing" soft cheese to grate it?  (Read 4218 times)

Offline veloboy

"freezing" soft cheese to grate it?
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:47:16 PM »
Did a search, but didn't find the answer I was loooking for so thought I'd ask.

I use a soft, whole milk mozzarella that I usually just slice and put on. I'm doing a big pizza party this Friday and am looking at ways to stream line and speed up the process as I'm looking to bust out 8 pies as quickly as I can. I was thinking if I put the cheese in the freezer for a little while (20-30min?) that it would firm it up a bit and then I could grate it. That way I could just toss out a handfull of grated cheese on there as opposed to laying out individual slices like I usually do. Good idea, bad idea?
               Thanks.

buceriasdon

Re: "freezing" soft cheese to grate it?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »
My thought is your cheese is going to clump together on you. Myself, I would slice up as usual and layer the slices on a plate seperating the layers with kitchen wrap. Sounds like fun! Good luck at the party ;D
Don

Offline veloboy

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Thought about the seperating out idea. I have a whole box of burger waxed paper squares that I was thinking about using. Just also trying to come up with a new way to do things, hopefully easier and quicker, while still getting the results I want.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:14:49 PM »
Did a search, but didn't find the answer I was loooking for so thought I'd ask.

I use a soft, whole milk mozzarella that I usually just slice and put on. I'm doing a big pizza party this Friday and am looking at ways to stream line and speed up the process as I'm looking to bust out 8 pies as quickly as I can. I was thinking if I put the cheese in the freezer for a little while (20-30min?) that it would firm it up a bit and then I could grate it. That way I could just toss out a handfull of grated cheese on there as opposed to laying out individual slices like I usually do. Good idea, bad idea?
               Thanks.

veloboy,

I donít know if this idea would work with soft, whole milk mozzarella, because I never tried it, but I get a La Trattoria newsletter from Stanislaus Food Products every once in awhile and in Octobers newsletter is has a hint for grating soft cheese.  This is a Timeless Tip from Past Issues, highlighted again. 

This is what it said:

Soft Shredding Secret

Blending distinctive cheese into a more traditional mozzarella or provolone can give pizza or bake pastas unique flavor and texture.  But grinding soft cheese is challenging because they tend to ball up and cling to the cutting blades, instead of shredding cleanly.

Just before shredding softer cheese, lightly spray the cutting surfaces with nonstick vegetable coating.  The result?  Uniform shreds and easier cleanup.  Slick fix!

As I said I never tried this.  I just received the newsletter.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:34:37 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline veloboy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
@ Norma
    Whoa. Thanks for the tip.  That almost seems cool enough to try.  :chef:
        Brian

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
I have always sprayed my manual shredder and my Braun shredder blade with Pam, I guess I assumed everyone else did also. My problem has been with soft cheese stored too long, sometimes a few hours in the fridge, it clumps together somewhat like the " The Return of the Blob"  :o I shredded some soft Gouda tonight and I know what I didn't use tonight will have to be separated next time. Tonight's dessert pizza, sliced plums in a wine reduction with Gouda and goat cheese and caramelized onions with a drizzle of balsamic reduced vinegar.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:21:41 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline veloboy

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:53:14 AM »
I have always sprayed my manual shredder and my Braun shredder blade with Pam, I guess I assumed everyone else did also. My problem has been with soft cheese stored too long, sometimes a few hours in the fridge, it clumps together somewhat like the " The Return of the Blob"  :o I shredded some soft Gouda tonight and I know what I didn't use tonight will have to be separated next time. Tonight's dessert pizza, sliced plums in a wine reduction with Gouda and goat cheese and caramelized onions with a drizzle of balsamic reduced vinegar.

So, what are your steps as far the grating goes? Specifically, do you grate the cheese closer to the time you actually dress the pizza, can you do it a few hours ahead of time and then stick back in the fridge? Maybe a quick run down on your process would be helpful. This whole "Pam" thing intrigues me.
Thanks! 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:18:06 AM »
Toss some fine grated reggiano and/or parmessan with it and it won't clump, plus it is goot!

Offline petef

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 04:26:38 PM »
I use a soft, whole milk mozzarella that I usually just slice and put on. I'm doing a big pizza party this Friday and am looking at ways to stream line and speed up the process as I'm looking to bust out 8 pies as quickly as I can. I was thinking if I put the cheese in the freezer for a little while (20-30min?) that it would firm it up a bit and then I could grate it.

I use Sorrento Whole Milk and Maggio Whole Milk mozzarella cheese and my standard procedure is to freeze the cheese as soon as I get it home from the store. Then when I need to grate it, I microwave the totally frozen pound of cheese for about 30 seconds which softens the outer 1/4" just enough to allow for grating. I grate all surfaces about 1/4" until I hit the frozen part.Then repeat the microwave process & grating as required. I'm grating using the medium sized holes on the grater (not slicing it).  The Sorrento is so soft I can't even imagine trying to grate it without it being partially frozen because it would just gum up the grater.

---pete---