Author Topic: New York for a day-suggestions  (Read 18289 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
New York for a day-suggestions
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »
I am going to NY tomorrow and want to try out Keste’s pizza and maybe other pizzas, if something doesn’t happen in the meanwhile.  I might even go to DiFara’s.

I wondered if anyone wanted to take any specific pictures or if I get to talk to any pizza operators, if there are questions anyone wants me to ask?  I am only going to be in NY for a day, so I won’t be able to visit many places.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: New York for a day-suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »
Have fun Norma!! Great place to visit .
Lots of recommendations here in the restaurant section for your review you may be reading them until you go  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »
Norma, Im so jealous!  Johns is across the street from keste and would offer a taste of coal oven style (keste is neapolitan style).    I like to get a pie from both and share if I have time.    Also close by are some really good slice joints like Joe's.   

Difara's is a good haul from Keste.   If you do get all the way out there make sure you visit the collucio store for ingredients as its very close to Difaras.  Try their olive oil if you go there.   Great tomato/cheese/meat selection as well and they sell san felice flour.     

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
Have fun Norma!! Great place to visit .
Lots of recommendations here in the restaurant section for your review you may be reading them until you go  :-D
John

John,

Thanks for saying have fun.  :)  I do really like NY, but I wouldn't want to live there.  I did read so many different places to eat pizza, but I am only going for one day.  I will eat a slice for you.  ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 07:49:29 PM »
Norma, Im so jealous!  Johns is across the street from keste and would offer a taste of coal oven style (keste is neapolitan style).    I like to get a pie from both and share if I have time.    Also close by are some really good slice joints like Joe's.   

Difara's is a good haul from Keste.   If you do get all the way out there make sure you visit the collucio store for ingredients as its very close to Difaras.  Try their olive oil if you go there.   Great tomato/cheese/meat selection as well and they sell san felice flour.     

Scott,

Thanks for telling me John’s is right across the street from Keste’s.  I might also try John’s.  I won’t be able to eat too much pizza in the short time I have to spend in NY. 

I know DiFara’s is a long haul from Keste’s.  I am not sure if I will get over there or not.  My daughter is driving and we are going to park in Astoria, Queens and then take the subway to Manhattan.  I know the subway system okay, it’s just if they changed schedules on the weekends sometimes that gets me fouled up.  If I get to DiFara’s I will try to check out  Collucio’s Store.
Thanks for giving me that advise.  I also will eat a slice for you.  :-D

Norma

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 08:28:36 PM »
oh...your parking in queens.    I would have a very tough time not getting some indian food over there too.   Some of the best I have had (and i've spent a decent amount of time in london).   I love eating my way through NY!   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
oh...your parking in queens.    I would have a very tough time not getting some indian food over there too.   Some of the best I have had (and i've spent a decent amount of time in london).   I love eating my way through NY!   

Scott,

Yes, we are going to park in Queens.  We will probably get the subway either at 46th and Steinway or Broadway.  How much do you think I can eat in one day.   :-D  You will have to give me the names of places to eat Indian food for the next time I visit NY.  I would like to try out some good Indian food.  I never tried Indian food. 

Norma
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:44:13 PM by norma427 »

scott123

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 08:58:29 PM »
Also close by are some really good slice joints like Joe's.

Norma, if you get a chance, try a slice from Joe's.  You won't have much of a wait and you'll be able to get a single slice so it won't contribute much to your pizza overload. Since you're a slice purveyor yourself, you really should try a decent slice place like Joe's. As far as Manhattan goes, Joe's is up there, although it's probably lost some luster since I was there last (about 8 years ago). I've never been to Mack's, and I'm not much of a cheddar believer, but I still get the feeling Mack's is probably a few notches above Joe's. As you leave Manhattan, one finds a lot of places better than Joe's.  Since you'll be in the neighborhood, though, you should try a slice.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »
Norma, if you get a chance, try a slice from Joe's.  You won't have much of a wait and you'll be able to get a single slice so it won't contribute much to your pizza overload. Since you're a slice purveyor yourself, you really should try a decent slice place like Joe's. As far as Manhattan goes, Joe's is up there, although it's probably lost some luster since I was there last (about 8 years ago). I've never been to Mack's, and I'm not much of a cheddar believer, but I still get the feeling Mack's is probably a few notches above Joe's. As you leave Manhattan, one finds a lot of places better than Joe's.  Since you'll be in the neighborhood, though, you should try a slice.

scott123,

If I get a chance I will also try Joe’s.  There are so many pizza places to try in NY.  I had a lot of decent pizza in NY before, but I can’t remember all the places I went.  Most of the pizzas I have tried were really greasy, but good.  My youngest daughter lives in Brooklyn, so I have tried many places there.  I also will eat a slice where ever I go for you.  Thanks for your recommendation.  :)

Mack’s pizza is just different from any pizza I did try in NY.

Norma

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:56:13 AM »
If I was going to NY,NY, I'd have to stop by Katz's Deli and get their reuben or pastrami on rye. Or at least bring home a gift package.

Just look at this baby!!!  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Katz's_Deli_-_Lunch.jpg
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 08:15:10 AM »
Within blocks of Keste:

Bleeker Street Pizza -- nonna slice is good
Keste
John's of Bleeker
Joe's on Carmine Street -- slice with fresh mootz
Pizza Box -- 3 blocks East of Joe's, across 6th ave on Bleeker Street b/t MacDougal & Sullivan. Solid NY Style

ASTORIA, QUEENS
Sac's Place on Broadway at 29th I think (Broadway stop on N&Q lines) makes decent coal fired pizza

In the northern part of Brooklyn, not too far from Astoria
G Train takes you to Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint (Greenpoint Ave stop) and Motorino Brooklyn (Metropolitan Ave stop)

Since you are doing Keste, if you can get over to Motorino East Village, you'll have an awesome 1-2 punch of Neapolitan style pizza. Both places are killer (Brussels Sprouts & Pancetta pizza at MEV is a head turner)

DiFara on a Saturday afternoon is likely gonna be a time killer (both subway time and waiting on-line), unless you arrive about 30 mins before DeMarco opens (which I recommend heartily) so you can get in and out without burning 2 hours on-line.

I second Indian food. Flushing, Queens has some very good Indian food...and a life without good Indian food is a little bit sadder indeed.

HAVE A GREAT AND FUN DAY!!
  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:22:59 AM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »
Oh yeah (if you even check here before venturing out for the day)....beware Murray's Cheese on Bleeker Street, which is very close to Keste, John's and Joe's.

Avoid peeking inside of here.....unless you want to get drawn into an excellent selection of hard to find cheeses from all over the world and other lovely food items in here. It's easy to get spellbound in such places and watch an hour of time just zoom by while gazing and tasting like a kid in a candy store!  Luv it ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 08:39:38 AM »
If I was going to NY,NY, I'd have to stop by Katz's Deli and get their reuben or pastrami on rye. Or at least bring home a gift package.

Just look at this baby!!!  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Katz's_Deli_-_Lunch.jpg

Trinity,

Thanks for your suggestion.  :)  Katz's reuben or pastrami on rye looks delicious.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »
Oh yeah (if you even check here before venturing out for the day)....beware Murray's Cheese on Bleeker Street, which is very close to Keste, John's and Joe's.

Avoid peeking inside of here.....unless you want to get drawn into an excellent selection of hard to find cheeses from all over the world and other lovely food items in here. It's easy to get spellbound in such places and watch an hour of time just zoom by while gazing and tasting like a kid in a candy store!  Luv it ;)
Within blocks of Keste:

Bleeker Street Pizza -- nonna slice is good
Keste
John's of Bleeker
Joe's on Carmine Street -- slice with fresh mootz
Pizza Box -- 3 blocks East of Joe's, across 6th ave on Bleeker Street b/t MacDougal & Sullivan. Solid NY Style

ASTORIA, QUEENS
Sac's Place on Broadway at 29th I think (Broadway stop on N&Q lines) makes decent coal fired pizza

In the northern part of Brooklyn, not too far from Astoria
G Train takes you to Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint (Greenpoint Ave stop) and Motorino Brooklyn (Metropolitan Ave stop)

Since you are doing Keste, if you can get over to Motorino East Village, you'll have an awesome 1-2 punch of Neapolitan style pizza. Both places are killer (Brussels Sprouts & Pancetta pizza at MEV is a head turner)

DiFara on a Saturday afternoon is likely gonna be a time killer (both subway time and waiting on-line), unless you arrive about 30 mins before DeMarco opens (which I recommend heartily) so you can get in and out without burning 2 hours on-line.

I second Indian food. Flushing, Queens has some very good Indian food...and a life without good Indian food is a little bit sadder indeed.

HAVE A GREAT AND FUN DAY!!
  ;D

pizzablogger,

Thanks for all of you suggestions, also!   :)  I printed all your suggestions out and will see where I have time to visit.  I also want to stop at Sullivan St. Bakery.  There is just too much to do in NY for a day.  I am soon ready to leave so I will take plenty of pictures and report back what I got to do.  All depending on how bad traffic is going, before going into NYC, will also tell what time I have to do what.  Sometimes it only takes 2 1/2 hrs. to get there and sometimes 3 1/2 hrs or more.  Also it will depend on if any accidents are along the way.  At least it is a nice day and I will get to see my other daughter and grandson.  :)  I know my legs will be tired when I return home.  Some of those subway steps are killers.  :-D

Norma

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »
At least it is a nice day and I will get to see my other daughter and grandson.  :)

Sounds like a winner....whatever else happens!

Norma, are you done for the winter season at Roots Market or are you still there most weekends?

Thanks --K

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 09:00:53 PM »
Since Norma is not home from N.Y. yet, I'll go ahead and answer. Root's is a Tuesday only market, open year round.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »
Sounds like a winner....whatever else happens!

Norma, are you done for the winter season at Roots Market or are you still there most weekends?

Thanks --K

pizzablogger,

I did have a good time in NY.  I will report today what I got to do.  Steve is right, market is open all year long and it is only Tuesdays.  It has been that way since 1928. 

Thanks,

Norma
Since Norma is not home from N.Y. yet, I'll go ahead and answer. Root's is a Tuesday only market, open year round.

Steve,

Thanks,  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
If anyone is interested, this is how my one day trip to NYC was yesterday. 

My daughter and I left yesterday morning and headed to NYC.  The traffic was fine, until we got closer to NYC.  When we are almost near NYC, we usually take the Pulaski Skyway to get near the Holland Tunnel.  Every time I go to NYC, I still marvel at the tunnels that can take you into NYC.  I can’t believe they built these so many years ago and how they have lasted all these years.  Both the Holland and Lincoln tunnels are only two lanes.  When we were getting near the Holland Tunnel, there were signs saying the Pulaski Skyway was closed.  We had a GPS and could have went another way, but it said we could follow a detour.  We decided to try the detour.  That was a mistake.  There were some disabled cars along the detour and had traffic backed-up for a long while.  I posted in my one post that it can take anywhere from 2 ½ hrs to around 3 ½ hrs. for us to drive to NYC, from our area.  Well yesterday because of the Pulaski Skyway being closed it took us more than 4 hrs. to get to NYC.  I have posted pictures in order of what we had time to do for the day.  I will try to explain in order what we did.       

After all the traffic-back ups, going into the Holland Tunnel wasn’t too bad.  We then went though a small part of Tribeca, until we arrived at Canal St. in Chinatown.  From there we proceeded to the Williamsburg bridge to take us to Woodside, Queens.  Next to Woodside is Astoria Queens.  We parked near 46th St. and Broadway.  At 46th and Broadway with took the R train to Times Square, Manhattan.  Those trains (subways) still amaze me also, especially the one that are built underground.  If anyone hasn’t ever been on a subway they would be in for a treat.  They can go very fast and when going around corners they sound like they are going to jump the tracks.  The first time I ever took a subway, I fell into the lap of a woman went it took off from a dead start. They also take off very fast and if you aren’t used to riding the trains, you better hold on.  Many times hen I was on a train there are various people that try to perform for money.  They don’t usually bother anyone, and some of them are good.  Yesterday there was an older man that said he was homeless and was singing “Under The Boardwalk” and other songs.  He just went on his merry way with a hat stretch out if anyone wanted to donated money to him. 

We arrived in Times Square and 42 nd St. and left the train there.  We then went above ground.  The day in NYC was beautiful.  It wasn’t too windy or cold.  We then walked to Sullivan St. Bakery, that is owned by Jim Lahey.  I didn’t want to eat too much there because we still had the rest of the day to eat in NYC.  My daughter had a piece of Pizza Bianco and I had a piece of Pizza Cavoltiore.  My piece of Pizza Cavoltiore was delicious.  I didn’t want to purchase too much there because I would need to carry it around all day, but I did purchase a loaf of Walnut Raisin Bread. 

Then we walked back to Port Authority to meet my youngest daughter.  When in NYC, you can purchase a one day train MTA card for 8.25 to ride limitless on the train for all day.  You just swipe them at each station before getting on the train. 

We all then proceeded to go towards Keste’s on A train.  After we got off the train we went by Joe’s pizza.  We arrived at Keste’s and it looked full inside, but there was a table for us.  I asked the waiter if I could take pictures.  He said I could.  After we ordered, I asked the waiter if I could take pictures of the oven.  He said I could.  I then talked to Roberto Caporuscio.  He was very nice and explained some things about his pizzas and oven temperatures.  He also held up his dough balls for me to take a picture.  I told him I also made pizzas and had a small market stand that I only operated one day a week making pizza.  I was also amazed of how fast his oven baked the pizzas.  After we were finished eating, I went back and thanked him for how delicious his pizzas tasted.  He gave me one of this business cards and said to call him, if I needed help.  I asked him what kind of flour he used to make his pizzas.  I told him my oven wouldn’t get high enough to use the flour he used.  I told Roberto, I was on pizzamaking.com and was going to post the pictures I took, if he didn’t mind.  Roberto said that was okay to post pictures.  He is very passionate about making pizza and could make pizzas very fast. The one picture is of my grandson with some of Roberto sauce around his mouth.  We were lucky we arrived when we did.  When we left there were people waiting outside to get into Keste’s.

I then wanted to try a pizza at John’s, but the line was too long and my 2 ½ year old grandson, would of had a hard time waiting in such a long line.  John’s will have to wait until another day.

We then proceeded to walk back to Joe’s pizza.  I had also wanted to try Joe’s pizza.  I just bought one slice. 

We stopped at a couple different places in the area and try out some popsicles at popbar, right next to Joe’s.  They also were very good. 

By then it was time to take the train back to Port Authority.  We could have taken the R train when we arrived there, but decided to go above ground and look around some more. Sometimes when you are going from one place to get another train underground there are performers.  Sometimes they are also good.  Yesterday there were a group of performers near Times Square underground.  They were good.   I saw this one pizza place near Times Square that sold pizzas for .99.  We walked the streets near Times Square and went into a couple of shops.  We then took the R train back to Astoria, Queens.  I took a few of pictures at Astoria Park, of the city, looking across the East River.  It was then back on the journey home.  That was my trip for one day.

I had a good time in NYC yesterday and did get to taste some delicious pizza.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 10:38:51 AM »
more pictures

Norma

pizzapan