Author Topic: New York for a day-suggestions  (Read 16644 times)

cornicione54

Re: New York for a day-suggestions
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »
wow Norma !! that bulk dough pic is worth $$$ !! very nice recap, thanks for all the details... ill be in FL from the 22DEC to 09JAN, if i get a good deal for tickets i am dying to go to NY... you just made me want to go even more....
@andre
I think the pic of the Keste dough is proofed dough balls (judging from the faint lines that show between "squares" of dough).

@Norma
Thanks for the pics and write-up. Fantastic!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
A couple of the pics brightened up a little and sharpened.

In a car in bad light and they still came out as good as they did? Not a bad camera at all.....and a good steady hold.  :)

Loving the under the bridge shots too!

pizzablogger,

Thanks for fixing up the pictures.  ;D The picture of Roberto’s white pizza with that creamy cheese makes me want to have more. That was Keste’s special. It was delicious and so different than any other pizza I have ever tasted. The cheese was delightful. The one picture I took of Keste’s pizza on the upshot had dishes I also would like to find. I also like how you fixed up that fire truck, with the Canal St. on it. When we were in front of Port Authority, there were many Fire trucks going by.  That is also another thing that makes NYC so interesting.  The sights and sounds of NY.  I also love to see all the different people and hear the different languages.  We saw a couple of bag women, when we went to Sullivan St. Bakery on some of the less travel streets.  It is hard to believe how they must live.  The one woman had a cart and three big some kind of carts.  She went to one end of a short block and pushed her grocery cart, then kept going back to get her bigger carts. I couldn’t ever imagine living that way.

When we were going back to our area in our car after going over the other bridge, we saw the tram car that goes to Roosevelt Island.  I did go on that tram car different times.  The east side of Manhattan is also very interesting.  I didn't have time to go there yesterday. NY is a photographers dream, with so many shots to be taken.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:54:11 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »
@andre
I think the pic of the Keste dough is proofed dough balls (judging from the faint lines that show between "squares" of dough).

@andre I agree with you. Looks like individual panetti, which have relaxed by quite a bit and will need to be cut out to make individual pizza (a usual event). I see some definite big bubbles here and am wondering what time of the day Norma was there....looks like the dough is potentially getting near the end of its optimal window of usability?
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »
aaah,  street meat, so yummy.    I miss NY so much, and your photos made me feel like I was there.   Thanks Norma!   

Scott,

The street meat is really yummy.  When my oldest daughter lived in Queens she always went to two different Greek men that sold the yummy street meat.  The one man was who we purchased the street meat from, was one of her favorites.  I like to visit NY, but my daughter that lived there also really misses NY.  She is used to the aggressive driving and can mange to get us anywhere in no time at all.  I also like to travel on the trains.  I am glad I made you feel like you were there.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »
I may go to NYC  for the holidays ( only 20 min for ME to the bridge) again this year.  after seeing those great pics Thanks Norma! and what kind of Keste pie was that that blogger touched up? I am drooling!!
Great work ! Have a great thanksgiving!! Very Cute Grandson too he must have been fascinated!
John

John,

I hope you can get to NY for the holidays.  I am not sure what that pie was that pizzablogger fixed up, but think it might have been the Burata.  There are so many kinds of different pies at Keste’s to choose from.  I am not used to all those different names.  I would have liked to try each one.  Your welcome, anytime.  You have a great Thanksgiving also.  :)  Thanks for saying my grandson is cute.  He lives in Brooklyn, so he is used to everything in NY.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »
@andre I agree with you. Looks like individual panetti, which have relaxed by quite a bit and will need to be cut out to make individual pizza (a usual event). I see some definite big bubbles here and am wondering what time of the day Norma was there....looks like the dough is potentially getting near the end of its optimal window of usability?

pizzablogger,

I am not exactly sure what time of the day we went to Keste's, but it had just gotten dark, so it must have been a little after 5:00 pm.  I couldn't believe how Keste's dough looked either, but it sure was flavorful when baked into a pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »
These are the two business cards I got while I visited NY yesterday.  The one from Sullivan St. Bakery, I just picked up from the counter.  The other business card from Keste’s is the one that Roberto handed to me. On the other side of the business card, is Roberto's other information. Roberto took the time to show me a picture of an oven that he had just placed in a pizza business somewhere.  He also told me I could bake the kind of pies he does in my oven at market.  I said I had tried baking pies with Caputo flour in my oven at market, and my oven temperatures didn't really get high enough in my opinion to bake the kinds of pies he baked.  Roberto also asked me where I lived.  I told him in Pa.  He said he operated a pizza business in Pittsburgh at one time. Does anyone know what pizza business he operated?

Norma

cornicione54

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
Roberto also asked me where I lived.  I told him in Pa.  He said he operated a pizza business in Pittsburgh at one time. Does anyone know what pizza business he operated?

Norma

From Slice: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/03/keste-pizza-vino-roberto-caporuscio-greenwich-village-manhattan-nyc.html

Prior to Kesté, Caporuscio was the founding pizzaiolo of A Mano in Ridgewood, New Jersey, which he came to in 2007 after opening and running two restaurants in Pittsburgh—Regina Margherita and Roberto's.

Here are links to some (old) reviews of the respective pizzerias:

http://www.post-gazette.com/dining/20020517dinec5.asp
http://www.lindystoast.com/2006/07/pizza_at_robert.html

Oven-spotting note: both pizzerias appeared to house Gianni Acunto ovens which explains this comment Roberto made in 2007:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5099.msg43748.html#msg43748

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:57:51 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2010, 10:50:46 PM »
From Slice: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/03/keste-pizza-vino-roberto-caporuscio-greenwich-village-manhattan-nyc.html

Prior to Kesté, Caporuscio was the founding pizzaiolo of A Mano in Ridgewood, New Jersey, which he came to in 2007 after opening and running two restaurants in Pittsburgh—Regina Margherita and Roberto's.

cornicione54,

Thanks for the link and posting where Roberto had two restaurants in Pittsburgh.  :)  I am glad you like the pictures and write-up.

Norma

Offline scott123

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »
I didn’t post much about Joe’s pizza because it tasted just like any average pizza I can buy around my area.  As can be seen on the pictures I posted the crust is more dense and bready.  In my opinion the crust had a slightly sweet taste to it.  The cheese and mozzarella on the slice I purchased were just average.  I like a better mozzarella and sauce.  I find with each pizza I taste, they all taste a little different.  As far as comparing it to the pizzas I make at market, I like the Preferment Lehmann dough a lot better.  There were people inside of Joe’s purchasing pizza.  There are so many pizza places in NYC to try.

Thanks for your thoughts on Joe's Norma.  It appears that the dreaded restaurant apathy monster has finally reared it's ugly head and plunged Joe's into an oblivion of mediocrity.  During the decade or so that I was going there, it hadn't dropped too much in quality, but that was before they were featured in the movie Spiderman.  I'm guessing that with that much publicity, apathy was inevitable.

The interior photo was very telling.  It may seem like a decent amount of customers, but, compared to it's heyday, that's downright empty.  For the most part (DiFara's is one notable exception), you can pretty much always judge the quality of pies a pizzeria is putting out by the number of customers it has.

Edit: Btw, there's lot's of info on making Sullivan St. Bakery's pizza at home. Lahey even has the recipe in his book.  I believe it's his typical high hydration/no knead process. Lahey (and Bittman) put no knead on the map.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:30:07 PM by scott123 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2010, 11:46:52 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on Joe's Norma.  It appears that the dreaded restaurant apathy monster has finally reared it's ugly head and plunged Joe's into an oblivion of mediocrity.  During the decade or so that I was going there, it hadn't dropped too much in quality, but that was before they were featured in the movie Spiderman.  I'm guessing that with that much publicity, apathy was inevitable.

The interior photo was very telling.  It may seem like a decent amount of customers, but, compared to it's heyday, that's downright empty.  For the most part (DiFara's is one notable exception), you can pretty much always judge the quality of pies a pizzeria is putting out by the number of customers it has.

Edit: Btw, there's lot's of info on making Sullivan St. Bakery's pizza at home. Lahey even has the recipe in his book.  I believe it's his typical high hydration/no knead process. Lahey (and Bittman) put no knead on the map.

scott123,

It is a shame if Joe’s pizza used to be as good as you remember.  I didn’t know Joe’s pizza was featured in Spiderman.  That is interesting to know.  I wanted to taste Joe’s pizza, since I was in the area. I have experienced many pizza businesses even in my own area that have gone downhill. It cracked me up when I saw all those “adult toy” shops right near Joe’s.  I have never been that area of the village before.  I want to go back and try John’s pizza and also go back to Keste’s. 

Thanks for telling me about Jim Lahey’s recipe being in his book.  :)  I will have to try that recipe someday or the one that is here on the forum. The pizza at Sullivan St. Bakery was also very good.

Norma

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2010, 03:49:00 AM »
@cornicione54, for sure individual dough balls, they are so proofed that they almost came together... still a $ shot !!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

cornicione54

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »
@cornicione54, for sure individual dough balls, they are so proofed that they almost came together... still a $ shot !
Very much agreed. Great shot. Conveys a feeling of how soft and stretchable that dough is.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2010, 04:25:28 AM »
Norma,

In one of the photos you took from Keste, a guy is spreading a bright yellow sauce-type 'thingy'  :-D on a dough, do you know what that was? Looks interesting.

Paul

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2010, 04:37:41 AM »
i think that is butternut squash...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2010, 06:38:40 AM »
Norma,

In one of the photos you took from Keste, a guy is spreading a bright yellow sauce-type 'thingy'  :-D on a dough, do you know what that was? Looks interesting.

Paul

Paul,

When I was talking to Roberto, I was so in awe of how fast his pizzas were coming in and out of the oven and of him making the pizzas.  I did ask him what dressing he was putting on that one skin, but now I forget what he said.  I was watching how fast his hands made pizzas also.  This is the menu from Keste’s. http://kestepizzeria.com/menu.html  and a slideshow from Keste’s
http://kestepizzeria.com/menu.html  I asked Roberto if he ever heard of pizzamaking.com and he said yes, he did look at pizzamaking.com.  I also asked him how hot his oven was and he said usually around 900-950 degrees F.  I asked him if he always kept it at that temperature and he said when they are busy.  As I posted before he was very gracious.  We were seated at the second table in front of the prep area, so I did get to watch Roberto make pizzas. I believe I finally got to try a real Neapolitan pizza, at its best.  This was something I was waiting for awhile.  The flavor, texture, smell and feel of the pizzas were all great.  Roberto’s pizzas were awesome. 

Norma

PaulsPizza

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2010, 06:56:41 AM »
Thanks Andreguidon. I just checked their menu and one of the pizzas says 'butternut squash cream' so it looks like you were right.

Norma,

Thanks for that info, I bet it was great sitting so close, watching an expert doing his thing.
I have just looked at the menu and it's huge! There are a fair few on that menu that I would demolish! haha.

Paul

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2010, 07:04:14 AM »
it was not by eye... i remembered that i saw this in a video...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XegkkElTiLA&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XegkkElTiLA&amp;feature=related</a>

PaulsPizza

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2010, 07:07:23 AM »
Haha, I thought you had the most incredible eye for ingredients ever!  :-D

I can't view that video from work but I will check it out when I get home.

Paul