Author Topic: New York for a day-suggestions  (Read 14232 times)

PaulsPizza

Re: New York for a day-suggestions
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Peter.

Offline cranky

« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2010, 12:23:44 PM »
Norma,

Glad you liked the fire story.  You don't want to encourage firemen storytelling.  There is lots of laughter as well as grief in the job.  I think the propensity to create humor is probably a way of coping or dealing with involvement in tragedy.   There were guys who were genius at creating practical jokes.  It was an outlet.  My daughter is a high risk labor delivery nurse and on bad days she goes home and hugs her little boys until they tell her to stop.   

I have used dry yeast, cake yeast, sourdough, and dry yeast with sourdough to make pizza dough.  The cake yeast turns out the best crusts.  I bought it in small quantity at a local supermarket and it cost a lot.  Second best is dry yeast in very small quantities with long fermentations.  Maybe sourdough starters would be also good if they were managed properly, but that is beyond my skill.  Bake shops can pay attention to their leavens and starters every day.  The home baker can't.   

I don't know anything about how fresh or cake yeast is prepared, but would guess it is the same organism that is in dry yeast.  What I wonder is if it is possible to grow yeast from dry, and make your own fresh.  If that is the case, and it is not too much trouble, a home baker could do that and use it and be done with it and not have to worry about managing starter every day. 

The other thing I wonder is if cake or fresh yeast has such a short life, how can they sell it in supermarkets where it surely sits for weeks or months in the distribution channels and on the store shelf and at home before it is used.  There must be a way they keep it vital.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »
Great post Norma!  I finally had time to read thru it all and look at all the pics.  Dang, now my stomach is growling and I am remembering my last visit there which was too long ago.
I was blown away by Motorino back then and now Keste's is a must visit for my next trip, plus at least one steak on a stick or two.
Thanks for sharing!
Hog

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2010, 12:52:44 PM »

The other thing I wonder is if cake or fresh yeast has such a short life, how can they sell it in supermarkets where it surely sits for weeks or months in the distribution channels and on the store shelf and at home before it is used.  There must be a way they keep it vital.

Speaking only from my local experiences here in Baltimore, the only places which sell fresh cake yeast do daily baking inside the store. The fresh cake yeast itself is not an "on the shelf" item, but something one has to ask for at the bakery counter....and you can only get it if there is enough left over after satisfying that day's in store baking schedule. So the yeast being sold to an individual is usually no older than a day or two.
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2010, 01:00:46 PM »
With much of the Neapolitan focus in NYC on Keste, Motorino EV and Paulie Gee's, the word about Donatella has yet to really hit hard. Three friends who have eaten Neapolitan pizza all over the place have now individually been there and all three say Donatella is now their favorite Neapolitan pizza in NYC. Interesting.

I have a few upcoming trips to NYC and am eager to try Donatella. But an entire day devoted to just visiting NYstyle pizza joints comes first.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 01:02:27 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
Paul and Norma,

See http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6179&p=38688&hilit=#p38682. Tom perhaps should have added cake yeast to his list. It was perhaps an oversight. Red Star makes the connection at http://www.redstaryeast.com/lessons/yeast_types__usage/cake_yeast.php.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for clearing up that fresh yeast is the same as brick yeast, compressed yeast and cake yeast.  I somehow thought that commercial brick yeast was different.  I have access to Fleichmann's cake yeast at the supermarket, so I guess I could give that a try.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »
Norma,

Glad you liked the fire story.  You don't want to encourage firemen storytelling.  There is lots of laughter as well as grief in the job.  I think the propensity to create humor is probably a way of coping or dealing with involvement in tragedy.   There were guys who were genius at creating practical jokes.  It was an outlet.  My daughter is a high risk labor delivery nurse and on bad days she goes home and hugs her little boys until they tell her to stop.   

I have used dry yeast, cake yeast, sourdough, and dry yeast with sourdough to make pizza dough.  The cake yeast turns out the best crusts.  I bought it in small quantity at a local supermarket and it cost a lot.  Second best is dry yeast in very small quantities with long fermentations.  Maybe sourdough starters would be also good if they were managed properly, but that is beyond my skill.  Bake shops can pay attention to their leavens and starters every day.  The home baker can't.   

I don't know anything about how fresh or cake yeast is prepared, but would guess it is the same organism that is in dry yeast.  What I wonder is if it is possible to grow yeast from dry, and make your own fresh.  If that is the case, and it is not too much trouble, a home baker could do that and use it and be done with it and not have to worry about managing starter every day. 

Cranky,

I can only imagine how much grief there is while being a fireman.  I can also believe creating humor would be a way of dealing with being involved in tragedy. 

I have also used ADY, IDY, different sourdoughs, but not too much cake yeast. I think I only did one experiment with cake yeast and didnít let that dough ferment long enough.  Right now I like the flavors of using natural starters, but will experiment more with cake yeast to see what kind of results I can achieve.  Natural starters really arenít that hard to use.  The dough just has to be watched over time.  Good to hear you had good results using cake yeast. I really donít know how cake yeast, brick yeast, or compressed yeast is prepared either.  I might have to study that more.

The cake yeast I can buy in our local supermarkets do have a shelf date, which isnít too long, but I also wonder how it can stay fresh and when the optimal time to use cake yeast is.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
Great post Norma!  I finally had time to read thru it all and look at all the pics.  Dang, now my stomach is growling and I am remembering my last visit there which was too long ago.
I was blown away by Motorino back then and now Keste's is a must visit for my next trip, plus at least one steak on a stick or two.
Thanks for sharing!
Hog

Hog,

Glad you enjoyed the posts.  :)  I would like to try Motorino's pizza.  Those steaks on a stick are good.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
With much of the Neapolitan focus in NYC on Keste, Motorino EV and Paulie Gee's, the word about Donatella has yet to really hit hard. Three friends who have eaten Neapolitan pizza all over the place have now individually been there and all three say Donatella is now their favorite Neapolitan pizza in NYC. Interesting.

I have a few upcoming trips to NYC and am eager to try Donatella. But an entire day devoted to just visiting NYstyle pizza joints comes first.

pizzablogger,

That is interesting that three of your friends have eaten at Donatellaís and found their pizza to be the best Neapolitan, in NYC.

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »
Cranky,

Right now I like the flavors of using natural starters, but will experiment more with cake yeast to see what kind of results I can achieve.  Natural starters really arenít that hard to use.  The dough just has to be watched over time.   Norma

How do you manage your starter and prepare the leaven?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2010, 06:09:10 PM »
Cranky,

I did use the Ischia starter for awhile after I had activated it.  The Ischia starter was then fed until it looked active enough to be made into a poolish.  If you are interested in looking at the thread where I used the Ischia starter this is the thread to see what I did. Near the end of the thread is where I was having the best results using the Ischia starter. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11700.0.html 

Right now I am using the milk kefir poolish in a Lehmann dough.  If you are interested in those experiments the thread is http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12173.0.html  The best results are also near the end of that thread, also.  I am now trying to get the crust to brown more, as of this week. The milk kefir is a little more complicated than using the Ischia starter, but you can also use the milk kefir to drink.  Milk kefir is supposed to be high in probiotics.  I am also experimenting when the best time to use the milk kefir in a poolish is.  Milk kefir can be used to leaven pizza dough, bread or bagels.  The milk kefir grains are fed milk.  If you want to know more about either of these threads you can post under the last posts and I would be happy to answer your questions.

I like a naturally leavened dough better than the Preferment Lehmann dough I now use at market.  The Preferment Lehmann dough also uses a poolish.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Norma

PaulsPizza

« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2010, 07:04:48 PM »
Norma, picture 100.jpg that you took from the Empire State reminds me so much of my time in NY so thank you! some amazing deli's around the Empire State building too.

Paul

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »
Norma, picture 100.jpg that you took from the Empire State reminds me so much of my time in NY so thank you! some amazing deli's around the Empire State building too.

Paul

Paul,

I am glad that the picture from the top of the Empire State Building does remind you of the time you spent in NY.  I have so many pictures that were taken from other trips to NY.  I didnít know anything from making pizza back then.  I just ate slices or whole pies different times I visited NY.   :-D

I have tried different foods in NY and most of them were good.  Good to hear you liked the Deliís around the Empire State Building.  What was the most memorable food you ate in NY?

Norma

PaulsPizza

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »
Paul,

I am glad that the picture from the top of the Empire State Building does remind you of the time you spent in NY.  I have so many pictures that were taken from other trips to NY.  I didn't know anything from making pizza back then.  I just ate slices or whole pies different times I visited NY.   :-D

I have tried different foods in NY and most of them were good.  Good to hear you liked the Deli’s around the Empire State Building.  What was the most memorable food you ate in NY?

Norma

Pigs intestines in China town! lol
Was......strange...

I have a picture of when my wife and I met Sly Stallone @ a book signing on 5th AVE, I will post it here when I find it......that was a better memory than the pigs guts...  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »
Pigs intestines in China town! lol
Was......strange...

I have a picture of when my wife and I met Sly Stallone @ a book signing on 5th AVE, I will post it here when I find it......that was a better memory than the pigs guts...  ;D

Paul,

Pigs intestine in Chinatown is funny!  :-D  I have never eaten pigs intestines, but in our area we do make pigs stomach filled with hamburg, sausage, potatoes, celery, and onions.  It is good.  At market they do sell many things related to pigs, but not intestines.

Here are few more pictures that are on my computer, from past visits to NY.  I have so many, it would take me too long to post them all.   :-D  If you find the picture of when you and your wife met Sly Stallone, I would like to see it. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »
a few more pictures

Norma

PaulsPizza

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »
Amazing pictures Norma, your dinner sounds a bit like haggis, have you tried that?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:59:20 PM by PaulsPizza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »
Amazing pictures Norma, your dinner sounds a bit like haggis, have you tried that?

Thanks for saying you liked the pictures.  I have many more on my computer and also ones that I would have to scan into my computer.

I don't know what haggis is.  Could you explain what it is?

Norma

PaulsPizza

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2010, 08:07:29 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis enjoy. lol

Paul,

I did enjoy reading about haggis.  It sounds something like Hog Maw (Pigs Stomach), but a little different.  People in our area do eat souse and pigs feet, too, but not me.   :-D

Norma

pizzapan