Author Topic: Peel - What's the best material  (Read 1157 times)

Offline jerrym

Peel - What's the best material
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
have had a look at the UK websites for peels (pizzadirect, pizza equipment, Nisbets).

there seems to be 2 types : all wood (handle & blade) and wood handle with aluminum blade

have had a good search on this site but can't really pin down which is best or what advantages/disadvantages relate to each type.

any help much appreciated.

Offline Jet_deck

Re: Peel - What's the best material
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:48 AM »
Generally, I use the all wood to put the pizza in the oven and the metal with the wood handle to get it out.  The all wood with a very light dusting with flour makes it perfect for the dough to easily slide off of.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline carbon

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Generally, I use the all wood to put the pizza in the oven and the metal with the wood handle to get it out.  The all wood with a very light dusting with flour makes it perfect for the dough to easily slide off of.

Same here.  Except that I recently replaced the wood handle on the 8" round metal peel with a handle made of 3/4" copper tubing.  I like to use the metal peel to rake the coals and move logs as well and not worry about the wood handle burning.  Despite being copper the end of the handle always stays relatively cool to the touch.  It is also no heavier than the wood handle I replaced.

Offline jerrym

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 05:13:24 AM »
thanks all. appreciate the links too.

am on direct 500F electric domestic oven. i'm not yet at stone but plan order for larger screen and thought to tag a peel on to the order.

i'll go for wood as a start. had not connected with the idea that the metal peel for removal can be smaller than the pizza size.