Author Topic: Shrimp Pizza, cooked or not  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
Shrimp Pizza, cooked or not
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »
If using shrimp, would one cook the shrimp just a little before using or not.  My pies will cook in less than 2 minutes.  :pizza:
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Shrimp Pizza, cooked or not
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:36:25 PM »
I always precook shrimp - just undercooked so they don't get overcooked on the pizza. Raw shrimp can release a lot of liquid while cooking.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »
My 2 cents
In a WFO I use raw. I just split them and they puff up and get a great  taste from the high heat.
I'm thinking any release of moisture is quickly evaporated in the 900 degree oven
I've also made a pie with chunks of cold water lobster tails...same great result.

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »
My 2 cents  In a WFO I use raw. I just split them and they puff up and get a great  taste from the high heat.
I'm thinking any release of moisture is quickly evaporated in the 900 degree oven
I've also made a pie with chunks of cold water lobster tails...same great result. 

Wow, great looking pie, thanks
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
I treat them as Bill does and just slightly precook them with a bit of OO, minced garlic & parmesan.  I also slightly precook sausage too.

But if you let raw shrimp sit on some paper towels and split them so they are not so thick I bet they would do fine going on the pie raw. 

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »
Thanks !
I used sliced raw leeks and grated pecorino cheese.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:52 PM »
If the shrimp are large, I cut them into smaller pieces and put them onto the pizza raw, as I did, for example, for the pizza that I described in Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9362.msg81960/topicseen.html#msg81960.

Peter

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »
If the shrimp are large, I cut them into smaller pieces and put them onto the pizza raw, as I did, for example, for the pizza that I described in Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9362.msg81960/topicseen.html#msg81960. Peter

Double yum going there.  Looks wonderful............ :pizza:

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »
I add them raw, but only on a white pizza (no tomato sauce), so there is a lot less moisture to start with.  Made an awesome shrimp and garlic the other night with three cheeses.  Also, let the pie cool on a screen after pulling it from the oven.  That lets a lot of moisture leave the pie too.

Jack

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »
all this advice is great.   I would also like to add how important using fresh shrimp is.   I often have people stop by with ingredients for pizza and they always bring the pre cooked shrimp.   This stuff releases almost twice as much water as when I buy uncooked shrimp and par cook it.    Beware!   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:56 AM »
I like to poach them in butter over a very low heat until they have just a wee bit of translucence in the center. I usually cut them in half before putting them on the pie. If they are really big, I cut them in half before poaching.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 03:24:38 PM »
I par-boil them both for flavor and to precook them a little.