Author Topic: Which ham or canadian bacon to use?  (Read 5099 times)

Offline Pizza Inhaler

Which ham or canadian bacon to use?
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:28:04 AM »
Hi.  I'm looking for a good ham or canadian bacon topping to go with the pineapple and olive pizza.  I've tried store bought hormel canadian bacon and one from a special independent meat shop.  They both were weak in flavor.  I'm starting to think to just get a smoked ham but curious what other people are using.  Thanks.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Which ham or canadian bacon to use?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:42:32 AM »
Hi.  I'm looking for a good ham or canadian bacon topping to go with the pineapple and olive pizza.  I've tried store bought hormel canadian bacon and one from a special independent meat shop.  They both were weak in flavor.  I'm starting to think to just get a smoked ham but curious what other people are using.  Thanks.

Pizza Inhaler,

Although I didnít try a pizza with olives, ham and pineapples, I did try a pizza with ham and pineapples.  I grilled the fresh ham on the BBQ grill.  The grilled fresh ham with pineapples did taste good in my opinion.  If you are interested in seeing where I made the pizza with ham and pineapples this is the link.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11785.msg109232.html#msg109232

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »
Thanks for the link.  That looks really good!  I'll try that next.  The only thing I don't like about ham is the price.

Offline DannyG

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:32:19 AM »
I go to the deli counter and ask for canadian bacon sliced real thin. I don't like thick slabs of meat on my pizza.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »
hormel ham sucks in my opinion.  getting a ham right now is cheap because of thanksgiving, the stores want to move chicken beef pork ham etc the influx of turkey sales damper the sale of other meats, at least around here
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Guts

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 01:52:19 PM »
I have made Ham and Onion pie before. I used some leftover Ham, ground it with the meat grinder attachment on the KA mixer, and used it that way. The ground Ham also makes a good sandwich too. IMO

Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
Ok. Tried some sliced deli natural smoked ham. Got only like 1/2lb for around $2.  Brought it home, tasted it and not much smoke flavor so I took my torch out and heated up the smoke box inside the barbeque and then placed the ham inside and let it inhale some hickory without cooking it.   Tastes better now.

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »
I might try a honey type ham next time if I can find one that doesn't cost a fortune.  That mixed with the pineapple should make it sweet!  I'll leave out the olives since those aren't sweet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:00:28 PM by Pizza Inhaler »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 10:37:34 PM »
Ok. Tried some sliced deli natural smoked ham. Got only like 1/2lb for around $2.  Brought it home, tasted it and not much smoke flavor so I took my torch out and heated up the smoke box inside the barbeque and then placed the ham inside and let it inhale some hickory without cooking it.   Tastes better now.

Pizza Inhaler,

Your pizza made with deli natural smoked ham looks tasty.  :)  Good job!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 03:22:47 PM »
I have made Ham and Onion pie before. I used some leftover Ham, ground it with the meat grinder attachment on the KA mixer, and used it that way. The ground Ham also makes a good sandwich too. IMO

Nice pie.  I haven't tried to make that style of pizza crust yet.  Ordered one from a pizza place but by the time I got it home in the box it was pretty soft.  Not sure what its really suppose to be like.

I was just experimenting with the sliced deli meat I got.  It appears that all a honey baked ham or brown sugar ham is just orange juice, honey, and brown sugar being basted on the ham as it cooks or dries out.  Some call for mustard which doesn't sound good on a pizza.  So, I took some brown sugar and some Sunny d smooth orange juice I had and made some basting "juice."  Basically just put enough OJ in to solidify the brown sugar.  Then dipped some new meat in the bowl of basting "juice" and then put it back on the pizza.  (I removed the old meat and olives). Then basted it a little more on top after the ham was installed.  Then recooked it again at a lower temp.  Still eatable as it was the 3rd reheat. ;D   I didn't use honey because I didn't have any.  Tried honey once in the sauce and it was too sweet.    Anyway,  I like the effect of this and will try it again next time.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »
papa johns is coming out with a 'double bacon six cheese' pizza next month.

the 'double bacon' is their normal bacon, and julianne cut ham strips.  most customers think canadian bacon comes from canada

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »
Ok.  I tried again.  Went back to the deli section.  They just happen to have the honey ham in.  Got 1lb for $4 bucks.  I took it home, tried it and it could use more sweetness.  I made a marinade again with brown sugar and sunny d; cut up the ham and put in a bowl in the fridge for like 5 hours while the dough was rising.  Came out great!

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 11:23:18 PM »
Pizza Inhaler,

Your pizza made with deli natural smoked ham looks tasty.  :)  Good job!

Norma

Thanks.  It was tasty and so was the next one.  I think I'm done with ham and pineapple for awhile. :-D
One thing I noticed was that the color of the honey ham was a lot more red then the smoked.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
papa johns is coming out with a 'double bacon six cheese' pizza next month.

It looks like the new pizza is available for a short while: http://www.bakingbusiness.com/News/News%20Home/New%20Products/2010/11/Papa%20Johns%20launches%20Double%20Bacon%20Six%20Cheese%20pizza.aspx?NewsLetter=true.

Peter

Offline Davydd

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »
My favored choice is thinly sliced prosciutto now. When I was in Rome and Naples that seemed to be a dominant choice on menus.
Davydd

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
Papa John's using a hickory smoked bacon + canadian bacon + 6 cheese. 

I tried grilling my sliced ham on the barbeque and it did turn into bacon.  I was thinking up putting that on.  Mmmm.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »
It looks like the new pizza is available for a short while: http://www.bakingbusiness.com/News/News%20Home/New%20Products/2010/11/Papa%20Johns%20launches%20Double%20Bacon%20Six%20Cheese%20pizza.aspx?NewsLetter=true.

Peter

it came out today.

out of 87 orders between 11 and 9, we had 23 that were DBSC (double bacon 6 cheese)

the canadian bacon isn't the same as the ham they use.  not only is it cut different, it's a hickory salt cured/marinated ham, cut into 1/4"x1/4" strips that are no longer than 1.5"  i ordered one, and all i can say is it's FANTASTIC!

pizzapan