Author Topic: planning a vacation to Naples  (Read 1628 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
planning a vacation to Naples
« on: April 21, 2005, 12:50:25 PM »
Since I have joined this forum I have become aware of so many things that I never even knew existed.  ilpizzaiolo and pizzanapoletana have totally blown me away with their pictures and descriptions of the pizza in Naples with it's ancient roots.  Although I can follow their recipes here at home, and try to come close to what they have going on, the only way I will ever really know what I am working towards is by trying the real thing.  Last time I was in NY I was able to try Grimaldi's, and it was so much closer to my pizza ideal than anything else I have ever had.  The crust melted in my mouth, and was so light and soft.  The pizza had such a fresh taste to it. Supposedly it is not even as good as what is going on in Naples, or at Una Pizza Napoletana (I will hit this place for sure next NY visit). 

Well today was my lucky day.  I found out that one of my wife's sisters is getting married in Ireland in mid August, and I have convinced some of her family to take a trek with us to Naples after the wedding.  I am going to be in Europe for two weeks.  The first few days will be near Dublin for the wedding, then we are thinking a day or two in London and Amsterdam,  then six days in Italy. Luckily airfare within Europe is really cheap now. 

I was wondering if any forum members had any advice.  I have been able to get some info on some of the better pizzerias in Naples on this forum, but what about other destinations?  I want this trip to be enjoyable for everyone, not just me and my freaky pizza obsessive self.

Are there any cool areas that I should check out that are fairly close to Naples?  My wife keeps mentioning Capri.

Any suggestions on where I could stay? We are on a fairly tight budget and I have heard that Naples can be a rough (but absolutely wonderful) city.

Marco, since this is all your fault (just kidding) do you or ilpizzaiolo actually have a pizzeria there in London?  If not, any recommendations on food there?  Last time I was in London all I could find that I liked was Indian food.  It was some of the best I have ever had, though.

Offline Robin

• I Love Pizza!
Re: planning a vacation to Naples
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 02:13:22 PM »
When you're in London check out Strada:

http://www.strada.co.uk/

They are a chain and have several places in London. 
IMHO they produce some of the best wood fired pizza I have tasted outside of Italy.

Robin

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 04:05:46 PM »
Robin

Strada is nowhere a good pizzeria in London. It is just a chain slightly better then pizza express. In London there are few good pizzeria, such as Donna Margherita (www.donna-margherita.com), Sarracino, and the Neapolitan chain "Fratelli La Bufala" just opened a branch in London.

Scott

Naples itself is a beautiful city, with history, arts and food. Close to Naples you can visit Pompeii, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano and Capri of course. I wish could be there then to take you around. It is my heartland and I love sharing it with tourists helping them appreciate it in full.

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 08:10:39 PM »
Go to   http://www.chowhound.com/main.html. From there, go to International and ask any of the members about places to eat in the European cities you will visit. You can be specific such as asking for the best Pizza places in Naples,  etc... Just check back every day and you will be surprised how many people respond. Chowhound is also a place I go to when I visit another US city and want the best rib joint, brewery etc.. An awesome weblink!!! Got any room in that suitcase to stuff a 6'4" guy? ;)

Su Meri

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 12:33:43 PM »
Here is a great Italy travel site. 
http://slowtalk.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=759607521&f=862600685

I'm sure they will have some great suggestions for places to visit around Napoli.  My wife and I love Sorrento, you could easily spend an entire day there.  Also if you are there on a Sunday night the Lungomare in Salerno is a great place to hang out.
As for pizza in Napoli, I was suprised that you actually can go wrong.  There are quite a few places that do not make great pizza.  If you go to the right spots you will taste the greatest pizza ever made.  pizzanapoletana can probably point you in the right direction.  We loved Pizzeria del Presidente, plus it's in a great area to walk around and see what the real Napoli is all about.  If you are off the beaten track a little, I would have to recommend La Notizia (near the stadium in Fuorigrotta) but I am biased since I took my pizza making course there.
Napoli is an exciting unique place, if you are in the right frame of mind you will love it!