Author Topic: Help bottom of my pizza never done NEWBIE  (Read 6348 times)

Offline Pizzalover95

Help bottom of my pizza never done NEWBIE
« on: November 25, 2010, 04:02:16 PM »
Hi I am a supper supper new member I just created the account to ask this question and anouther to pete-zza. I always use the Food.com (recipe zaar) recipe for the pizza hut clone , I follow it to the letter except I use a pizza crisper ( which is amazing ). The pizza on the top is amazing !!! Crispy crust soft middle but the bottom is like done but semi doughy. It is not like pizza hut's bottom. I don't use the oil part I do brush my crisper with garlic infused oil. I just don't see why you should why I should bake my pizza in 9OZ of oil. Is there anyway I can bake my pizza in my amazing crisper and without the oil and get a done crust. I use this weird oven that is like specially made for pizza ( it's not but it seems like it) It is set from 1-5 I set it at 5 and it is an inferno. The pizza is done in 4-5 minutes flat. It may even start to burn. I am planning on making it again on friday and will take pictures. but please can I have an answer today. Sorry to like start off with a question but I saw the forum as te perfect place to ask. I live in Nigeria by the way I used to live in  the states though. Thanks!!!

Offline jerrym

Re: Help bottom of my pizza never done NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
i am newbie myself so no expert.

i have a domestic oven and always tend to have the opposite ie the bottom is too crisp before the pizza is done.

it could be the material of the screen. i say this as my screens are steel and produce crisp bottom. i have an aluminum plate too but this produces a soft bottom.

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »
I solve this problem by cooking the pizza, covered with foil, on the bottom rack until it just starts to take on color. Then I move it to the top rack, still covered, and let the top start to cook with the higher heat there. Then when it's about done, I take off the foil and let it finish up--it goes very quickly in my oven!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Are you making a thicker Pan pizza or a regular Pizza?

Do you cook the Pizza on top of a stone as well?Or is it on a screen and placed on a rack in the oven?Im assuming you said crisper,that means a screen?

Im no expert here but willing to share what I have learned with my own experiments and home electric oven.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
I got to looking and see what you meant by a crisper.I have a similar cooking pizza pan but not as many holes.

I don't clone Pizza hut,but my own pies at home,I tend to cook the pizza on the pan for about 2-3 minutes,then I slide it off the pan onto the hot stone.When it precooks on the pan,It becomes very easy to slide it off onto the stone sing a spatula.I do not have a pizza peel so I cook mine this way for now.

The pizza stone helps to cook the crust more fully as well.Pans will not do it 100%.The crust will look pale,white,and taste doughy.Increasing the oven temps only destroys the cheese and top part of the pizza before its even done.

A pizza screen might help,if you get one,but IMO works better if you place it onto the stone itself and not the rack.

Also,with my experiments using pans,I had to lower the oven temp...the top part will cook too fast before the crust has a chance to catch up,even when having a stone,especially if its over 500 degrees.

I have lowered my oven temps to 450 at times and seen a bit better cooking with my crusts before the top end breaks down and destroys the cheese into burnt,ricotta looking orangey mess.

All in all,I found out that if I cook pizza on a pan,like the crisper,it never gets fully done.Putting it onto a stone for the last few minutes does the trick,it browns the bottom better and cooks it through all the way.

The chains uses pizza screens in a conveyor oven that cooks differently than a home unit.

-Bill

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 01:00:11 AM »
move your pizza all the way to the lowest rack and put a cookie sheet around 14x11 on the upper most rack.

let the oven sit 10-20mins after preheat kicks off, then throw the pie in.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline buzz

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »
I use a cutter pan (for thin crust) and find that no matter how thick the crust, the foil trick works. Or the pan, as Compl3x sugests. The idea is to block the upper heat from cooking the top first, so you can get a head start on the bottom. For a thicker crust, you might want to try par-baking it first (use the same technique, but without sauce, cheese, and toppings), then top it and bake.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:13:16 AM »
Buzz,

I'm going to try the foil trick myself,thanks for posting that.Even though I do finish my pies on the stone,I can still use some methods to slowing down the melting/burning of the top somewhat and this sounds like it will do the trick.
 :)

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 01:06:15 AM »
Can you post a pic of your 'amazing crisper' so we all have an idea what you're baking in?

It might be easier to answer your questions then.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline chickenparm

-Bill

Offline Pizzalover95

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »
the crisper is the one with holes in it CHICKENPARM AND BUZZ thank you for the advice I am thinking about baking my pizza fully on a pan putting a cover on it for the cheese to melt, but anyway thanks!!!! happy holidays every1!!!

pizzapan