Author Topic: New Haven pizza in Ky?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline wucactus1

New Haven pizza in Ky?
« on: November 26, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »
Pizzas like this make we want to forget my dreams of becoming a pro climber, architect, or graphic designer, drop out of school and open up a pizzeria...Im (  ) close to doing it...parents(who owned a bakery already offered assistance after I graduate!).  Any way this is a dough formula I made up and made in a normal residential oven at 550 for 1h 10m and rigged with frozen towel put on at 40minutes One is Banana pepp and pepporoni other is Plain with Garlic and Banana pepp and pepporoni, both are drizzled with olive oil and use mozz...I was shooting for new haven and I got it.  This is a consistent thing and I am able to duplicate it everytime...The pizzeria would be in lexington/louisville ky and would bakery by morning pizza by night it would be called Wise  Bakery and Apizza, but right now its only a dream...Comments welcome!

Offline wucactus1

Re: New Haven pizza in Ky?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
more...

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
It looks great and I for one would definitely make the drive to sample some.
 :pizza:

One problem is,many folks around KY do not know what a Haven Pie is supposed to be,they might think you are burning a pizza or something.

I love my pies well done,some charring and blackening here and there.Had plenty of NY style pies that mimic the Haven style pies when growing up in NY state.YUM!

Since living in KY,I heard Mama Bearno's in Lousiville was one of the best.I drove there to eat some and it was one the nastiest pizza I ever eaten.More fake pizza to me.If the folks love this stuff and its winning awards,then I dont know what is gonna sell or bomb that isn't based on a conveyor oven puffy dough.

Good Luck and I will come work for you if you ever open a place!
 ;)

-Bill

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »
yeah my parents and girlfriend didnt really understand what i was getting at, so showed them pictures of what i was shooting for and explained some pizza history to them...they still looked at me and said it was amazing and i hit spot on, but still a little too "charred"...they didnt understand the well done factor and i told them how i could pretty much make what ever they wanted....Either way they enjoyed the flavor of the crust and they said my sauce was amazing...As far as bearnos goes...and pizza in general here in Louisville its not very good.  Bearnos has gone downhill since I was younger with their cardboard flavor and over salted excuses for breadstcks...more like wheat thins, Angio's(used to be the best) has also followed a similar trend.  Now the top pizza is definetly found in lexington but here in louisville you have to choose from some good places-Borremo's,Cliftons(calzones and breadstick are killer),Spinelli's, and if you must impellizeri's (I have a personal grudge against them...(they screwed over a friend hardcore)).  Vitos has good philly style and Windy City is a must if your searching for chicago...but thats not even pizza so.  For louisville style wicks is your answer  Thats the lowdown on "the ville" and with that being said I can confidently say after sampling alot of Pizza in KY I currently make the best...and I think this form could thrive if introduced slowly and people are open minded and alot of the hip scene that i would market toward is and would undoubtedly understand new haven pizza if given info via the menu and the option of normal, or well done pies with pictures to reference.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »
From what I can gather,you have great hopes,dreams and a product to give someday.Never lose those dreams!

Do finish school and at the same time,keep those dreams alive.Its going to be a tough sell to bring that style of pie in your area,but as you already know,there may be a few ways to introduce it over time.

From a business stand point,we have to look at what the current market is used to,brought up on,and devours.These folks in our area are used to eating fast,chain style pizzas.They grew up on it,they crave it.

The idea of offering this style of pizza through the Bakery business is a great idea.You will have a place to test the market and spread your name around.

Remember,Papa Johns did this through a bar in Indiana.He sold pizzas through the place and someone got wind of it and a successful chain came out of it.

I bet his pizzas were better than what you can order from any chain now.He sold a product when there was no real product like his back in the day.

Anyways,the point is you got to start somewhere to test the waters eventually.Btw are you signed up to the http://www.pmq.com/ forum?

If not,may be a place to learn more as well.

I am a member there but have not been on too much.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.Do finish school and keep making them pizzas you love!
 8)

-Bill

Offline Outatime

• Slice it up, pour the Chianti, let's eat!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »
Interesting product.  I love the diversity in the forums here; pizza is truly more art than science, and everyone enjoys something different.  If you decide to invest in a pizza joint, now is a very good time to do it, in my opinion.  Deflationary periods always give rise to prosperity, IF you can find the investment dollars.   I'd love to do a partnership on an Italian restaurant with a very limited menu and wine list, but I'm in a lousy position to do this, AND California is not the place to do business anymore; I have plans to relocate to Wyoming in a few years, and my ambitions may succeed there.

Congrats on developing a pizza that you love.  I'm still perfecting mine.  It's a frustrating journey, I can assure you, but that's half the fun.   :chef:

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »
Thanks for the comments...Im definetly finishing school, dedicated to much of my life to it at the moment and what im studying really interests me and is constantly inspirational, but pizza making is a huge fall back and I have advised a timeline of the major periods in life and where i want certain things to fall in place...and eventually at sometime I see myself opening a pizzeria wherever I am its really only a matter of sooner or later...
I guess I should take it back that this pizza isnt perfect, but the most "perfect" set of pizzas I have made so far when it comes to new haven style...but I have dabbled in many styles and attempts in cloning local pizza(not that bearnos garbage though...).  I do enjoy the thrill in experimenting and Will continue to post more photos of new havens in ky aswell as other pizzas i make now that I have a convient means of taking photos and posting them.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »
Have you done any more pies or experiments yet?Was just wondering.
 8)
-Bill

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 08:19:25 PM »
Its finals week here at UK...a very stressful and busy time, but I am indeed making two pizza tomorrow night...An old recipe I was working on that I havent made in a while(the goodfellas clone). Instead of cooking it at 550, Im going to rig the oven with the frozen towel and cook this NY dough NH style and see what happens.  One pizza will be a cheese and the other plain with garlic and red onion then the other half might have spinach, sweet potato and broccoli(got use up salad veggies!).  I will post pictures of the Dough Balls after the cold ferment(sitting in the frig now), on the peels and then various pictures of both pizzas after baking...Im excited and have been craving pizza all week...I usually never go two days with out, but I havent had pizza in four days!

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »
So my plan was to make pizzas yesterday...that did not happen, I got slammed with studying and work and ran into various complication with both my printmaking and sculpture project, but have no fear I threw the dough in the freezer in hopes of avoiding blowing out the dough and will resume the pizza making saturday(will be the perfect method of relaxation in the middle of all this final cramming before the semester ends...). With this said Is it better to thaw in the fridge over night or on the counter...I have already let the dough cold ferment for around 36 hours prior to the freezing so hopefully the taste will not be offended...Pictures will be posted during and after the Bake...feel free to post your nh or even ny pizzas...Inspiration is always helpful!

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
Completely burnt the pizza, not salvageable...fire alarm started and wouldnt go off...disaster!  Thank god everyone bailed on the pizza party and my girlfriend was the only witness.
Well I have three more doughs that should still be good tomorrow.  Im freezing two and will try again tomorrow.  I ordered pizza from my favorite pizzeria to make up for it.  When we want pizza we get pizza, even if we have to pay for it.

I always made fun of those people that burned their turkeys and caught their garages on fire.  Now I know how it feels, and Its not good.
Feel free to laugh collectively and/or share your stories of burntness

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
Well I ordered goodfellas pizza a pizzeria famous in Lexington for their 22 inch pizza and odd authenticity for new York style in the middle of ky.  They use grande escalon and have a very good dough...perfect for when you burn your own pizza. And since I burned mine I snapped a few photos of their pizza and the enormous bread sticks that stretch over two feet unfortunately I couldn't resist eating some before I pulled out the iPhone

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
Here are the photos...of the breadsticks ovenspring and then an overview of the 12"(this is a new thing...they used to only offer jumbo slice and 22" now they offer 22,16,12, and slices)...It was good but im convienced the taste is also effected by size of the pizza, the bigger the better.

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 09:57:22 PM »
Last Photo

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 11:10:08 PM »
Feel free to laugh collectively and/or share your stories of burntness

It was 4 years ago. I was exhausted from a really gruelling day of work that stretched well into the evening. At around 10:00 PM, I knocked off work and had a few drinks- and also decided that a frozen pizza would be a convenient snack. Put the pizza in the oven for the recommended 20 minute bake. Got distracted by something on TV, had several more drinks, and crawled into bed, having forgotten the pizza was baking. When I woke up the next day, the whole condo stank of burning charcoal. I looked at the oven; it was still on 450, and sitting on the middle rack was a jet-black disc that used to be a Delissio frozen pie. I could still clearly make out all of the toppings and the general structure of the pie, but they had one and all turned to pure carbon, as though a fossilized pizza from some archaeological dig. I had to leave all the windows in the place open for about three days- in the depths of a cold Canadian winter, mind you- to get rid of the smell.

JLP

EDIT: It took two cleaning cycles to get rid of the blackened sediment that had formed on the oven walls.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:20:07 PM by Jose L. Piedra »
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »
Not laughing at YOU,but with you about burning pizza!
 :-D

Been there,done that,smokey kitchen and all.Had a pizza that tore a hole when it was on the stone and when taking it off,a bunch of sauce,cheese and etc fell through.That spot on the stone is forever charred!

How did you like the sauce on the Goodfellas pie?
 :)

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »
JLP,
I was  :-D about your story...yet thank God it did not burn down everything else in sight!

I never let a pizza burn like that when being drunk but one night I had a bunch of beers and had the munchies for a quick pizza.I had a frozen pizza and put it in the oven at 450.A few minutes later,I smelled something burning really bad. Went into the kitchen and there was smoke everywhere...

Dumb arse me put the frozen pizza in the oven with the round cardboard still stuck to bottom of the  pizza,burning in the oven!.

Im glad I did not pass out and let it cook all night!

:-[

Since then,I made it a habit to constantly check my food,every few minutes.Burned a few other pizzas when the dough ripped or got a hole in it,but was always able to clean it up.

But man the smell was in the kitchen for a days.
-Bill

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »
JLP,
I was  :-D about your story...yet thank God it did not burn down everything else in sight!

Luckily for me, the whole thing amounted to just a really slow bake; my smoke alarm (which is quite sensitive) didn't go off, and I doubt that it actually burst into flames (although it spat a lot of grease and moisture at the oven walls just before it became completely fossilized).

Dumb arse me put the frozen pizza in the oven with the round cardboard still stuck to bottom of the  pizza,burning in the oven!.

Double embarassment disclosure: I once did that, too. I got off lucky, though: the cardboard wasn't burned at all, and I just peeled it off and ate the pizza without issue.

Frozen pies seem to be death traps that just invite carelessness. With a hand-made pie, there is a level of investment in terms of effort that discourages careless behavior. Whether sober or otherwise, there's no way I'm going to take my eyes off a pie that I spent 5 or more hours of prep work on...

JLP

Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)