Author Topic: New Haven pizza in Ky?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline wucactus1

Re: New Haven pizza in Ky?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 09:01:21 AM »
This makes me feel better, at least im not the only one...ChickenParm our stories seem similar...The pizza baked perfectly but then ripped in half with everything falling onto the stone,it was stuck.  Smoke started bellowing and all of a sudden two college students were franticly running around swinging things trying to stop the alarm...
As for goodfellas, everything about them in my eyes is perfect...the pie I actually had wasnt there best and was a little overly chewy, but it is from their new second location and Im sure with time kinks will be sorted out, but their breadsticks are some of the best I have had...I will cook a pizza tonight though and upload the pics...dough is a little over fermented but it should be ok.

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 12:15:35 AM »
As promised here are some photos of the pie I baked to night...A goodfellas clone cooked in a oven set at 585(preheated for 1 1/4 hours) for a total of 6 minutes...In my opinion could have gone another 1 1/2-2 but after what happened yesterday I was behaving timidly...I hope this incident hasnt scarred me for life...
Dough was chewy, just like goodfellas with similar color and fold-ability...
Sauce wasnt escalon like theirs, but was kroger brand(shame on me...broke college student) crushed tomatoes with various herbs and spices...

Formula
Flour-456g
h20(bottled)-287g
IDY-1.37g
Salt-9g
Honey-8g
Makes 2 12/13" pies at around .08-.1

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 12:16:30 AM »
Crumb

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 12:17:32 AM »
Char...not bad?

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 12:21:22 AM »
Those look perfect to me.Love the char! I'm kinda surprised the cheese didn't break down at those temps before the crust was done.Looks like you got it down nicely!
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
As promised here are some photos of the pie I baked to night...A goodfellas clone cooked in a oven set at 585(preheated for 1 1/4 hours) for a total of 6 minutes...In my opinion could have gone another 1 1/2-2 but after what happened yesterday I was behaving timidly...I hope this incident hasnt scarred me for life...

I'd like to suggest, judging from the upskirt shot, that your instincts were functioning perfectly; another 1 1/2-2 minutes at that temp would have burned the bottom for sure. Or do you mean that it still tasted under-baked even though it was very well-charred?

JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »
It didnt taste under baked at all, and I guess 1- 1 1/2 would be too long, but I would have broiled it for 20-30 seconds to get the top slightly more well done, but my girlfriend on the other hand would detest to this as our opinions on pie "doneness" are completely different.  This was cooked to her liking as the pepperoni half was hers and the plain w/broc and red onion was mine, and with a slight obession with NH style lately I would have loved to push the top a little more and pull out slightly more flavor, but all in all for sub-par sauce and cheese(broke college student, though I understand the importance of top quality ingredients this week has been tight...) the pizza was a success.  I have two balls that are frozen waiting for my return after break and I am bringing my AT flour home with me so im looking forward to the holidays filled with amazing pies!