Author Topic: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas  (Read 55011 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
This question is off topic but could giordanos be laminating their dough in this style to get all the flaky layers in their stuffed pizza? 

pythonic,

As you can see from the video at , the Giordano's dough is run through a sheeter twice without any attempt at lamination.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
pythonic,

As you can see from the video at , the Giordano's dough is run through a sheeter twice without any attempt at lamination.

Peter

Isnt sheeting a form of laminating?  Or maybe they are laminating and throwing it back into the fridge for an hour or two before sheeting it?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline BTB

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2012, 07:59:54 AM »
Here's some kitchen prep work at one of Giordano's pizzerias.  Note the trays of dough balls sitting out in the middle of the kitchen, not refrigerated.  They put a semi hand flattened dough ball through the sheeter a couple of times and then put it into the buttered pan.  No lamination at all is ever done.   --BTB

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »
pythonic,

To buttress what BTB says, see Reply 112 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5674.msg69361.html#msg69361. A sheeter or roller can be used with laminated skins if the basic sheet of dough is folded upon itself one or more times. Quite likely, the roller or sheeter has to be adjusted to handle such a skin. It is not clear whether Tommy's uses a sheeter or roller with laminated doughs. However, Round Table does.

Peter

Edit: See also the video at http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/giordano-pizza/ayYtJEjGExG-CEz-13K6qw.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:40:36 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »
I ate at Shakey's a couple nights ago in Culver City, California. It was the first time I'd had Shakey's since way before I started trying to clone Tommy's. As I've kind of suspected for a while, Shakey's crust is similar to Tommy's, particularly because of the laminated texture. I'd say the main differences between Tommy's and Shakey's dough are: 1) Shakey's crust has a considerable amount of oil, while Tommy's has little oil or no oil; and 2) Tommy's crust has a heavily fermented flavor/smell (and blisters), while Shakey's does not.

I know there's a really good Shakey's thread somewhere on these boards. So to anyone who's really interested in trying to clone Tommy's, I'd say you could probably learn a lot by reading the Shakey's thread(s). I believe the author is user El Segundo (or elsegundo).

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
Even though I still don't have a functional mixer, I've made a few Tommy's-style pizzas lately. One was last night, using dough I made yesterday. Even using same-day dough (with added scraps that had been in the fridge for several days), this pizza was really good. So I imagine the next one, which will be made with the same dough a few days later, will probably be fantastic.

After mixing the dough, I let it bulk-ferment for maybe four hours. I used essentially the same techniques I've detailed in earlier posts (on page 5, I think). One important difference, though: Instead of All Trumps flour, I used KAAP. The KAAP seems to be the main reason why I liked last night's pizza so much.

I have a lot to say about this, and I'll surely add some pics of upcoming pizzas. Right now, though, my computer doesn't work, so that kinda complicates things.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Me and my mom went to Tommy's today for lunch. It was my first Tommy's visit in maybe 14 or 16 months. Lotsa new insight to share. Where to start???

After parking in the rear parking lot, the first thing I did was a little dumpster diving. After digging through the cardboard dumpster a little, I took pictures of a couple empty ingredient boxes. (Unfortunately I can't post the pics right now because my computer is out of order, but I'll post them whenever I can.)

Here are a couple secrets the dumpster shared with me:

Sauce: The first interesting box I found was a tomato product. The box's label says "Starcross Brand 3 Gallon Crushed Tomatoes." Also, "Packed by Hirzel Canning Co. Toledo, OH 43619" and "3 gallons equals 4 #10 cans." On another part of the box it says "3 Gallon Sauce Bag." (There's a relatively large foodservice distributor in Toledo, whose name is not coming to me right now. I suspect this tomato product may be one of their house brands. Someone will find out soon enough, I'm sure.)

Pepperoni: "GiAntonio Brand Sliced Pepperoni." "Mfg. By: Ezzo Sausage Company." Also, the "38 mm" checkbox was checked. I was surprised to learn that Tommy's uses Ezzo because I bought a case of another Ezzo product once, and it was nothing like Tommy's pepperoni.

One thing I learned today by eating a Tommy's pizza: My most recent experiments and posts have been horribly wrong regarding the thickness. I've been using about 8 oz of dough per 10" pizza, but that's way too thin. At one point in my cloning chronicles, I was using 10 oz of dough per 10" pizza, and now I realize that's much more accurate than what I've done more recently. (Still, my thinner pizzas have been really good, so don't be afraid to make 'em thinner than Tommy's makes them.)

The crust was crispy on the very bottom (not at all crunchy, though), and it got progressively chewier toward the top of the crust. There was no gummy layer, but the uppermost layer of the crust was definitely soft (and chewy). Although Tommy's crust is quite different from what most people consider cracker crust, I had a couple bites that really did taste like cracker.

There's definitely oregano in the sauce, too. I could clearly taste it because I don't like oregano in sauce. The oregano presence is not heavy, but it's there.

Also, there is a noticeable saltiness on Tommy's pizza. This is something I wasn't sure of after my previous Tommy's visit, but now I know it's true. (At least today it was, anyway.) The saltiness seems to be above the crust. I'm not sure if it is the sauce or the cheese, but it probably isn't the pepperoni. (I was already planning to increase the salt content a notch in my clone dough because my clone's crust seems just bland enough to be noticeably bland.)

As soon as I walked into Tommy's today, I noticed that one of the pizza makers was spending a lot of time popping bubbles by sticking a bubble-popper through the side opening on the conveyor oven. Since my clones almost always bubble extensively, forcing me to pop the bubbles while the pizzas bake, I'd been wondering if Tommy's had found a way around that. Apparently not. (Remember, Tommy's dough is not docked.)

Honestly, even though Tommy's pizza is something I've really liked ever since I was a kid, it's actually not very good. But it's not bad, either. With a little work (or a time machine), Tommy's pizza could be freaking incredible. The crust already is pretty awesome and very unique, but the sauce and [provolone] cheese are nothing to brag about.

As seems to be a trend in Columbus, Tommy's pizzas are all one inch smaller than the sizes indicated on their menu. This is not an instance of pizzas shrinking while they're baked, nor is it the result of recent changes that just haven't made it onto the menu yet. Rather, it's an obvious attempt to deceive their customers. I have a big problem with that, and Tommy's Pizza can expect to never see me again, just like Cappy's and Joseppi's can expect to never see me again for the exact same reason.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
When you come to Pizzamaking.com and start a thread "I want to clone (Insert your favorite pizza)" then after some time of making your own you go back to the restaurant and the pizza is just "okay", then I'd say you've been successful at your own pizza making attempts. Many folks here have ventured down this path to make pizza X and they end up with something much much more beautiful and tasty. Congratulations!

(Now stop diving in dumpsters. They might be going through your trash soon!)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »
Ryan,

Man...I don't know whether to be disappointed or happy. Here I thought you were really on the verge of a breakthrough but ya had to go an get a "Tommy fix"   :-D

Dude...screw Tommy's, you have a much better handle on getting to something really good. All kidding aside,it sounds like you have ,as always, learned somemore from that visit and I'm looking forward to you putting the finishing touches on where you left off about a month ago. Can't wait to try it Ryan,thanks!

ps.   bet mom loved going into a restaurant with you after ya jus climbed out of a dumpster!  Haha...atta boy!!!   8)

Bob

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2012, 12:30:41 PM »
ps.   bet mom loved going into a restaurant with you after ya jus climbed out of a dumpster!  Haha...atta boy!!!   8)
I didn't actually get into the dumpster. I just stood in front of it and lifted the lid, then reached in and sorted through the tall stack of knocked-down cardboard boxes.

It's kind of interesting, though, that this is the closest I've ever come to actually dumpster diving, considering how much time I've spent living out of a backpack, functionally homeless. Here's a video I made of someone dumpster diving: . (The video is more interesting than it may sound.)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »
Yes, I saw that on your site.....Joe seems like a really happy person.

Offline Zing

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
Sauce: The first interesting box I found was a tomato product. The box's label says "Starcross Brand 3 Gallon Crushed Tomatoes." Also, "Packed by Hirzel Canning Co. Toledo, OH 43619" and "3 gallons equals 4 #10 cans." On another part of the box it says "3 Gallon Sauce Bag." (There's a relatively large foodservice distributor in Toledo, whose name is not coming to me right now. I suspect this tomato product may be one of their house brands. Someone will find out soon enough, I'm sure.)

While I am most familiar with Hirzel's Silver Fleece sauerkraut, I know they are a mid-western tomato canner as well. Star Cross is a very old brand name of theirs (Registered 1926 at USPTO), now seemingly only used on foodservice products. Their own-branded retail products go under the Dei Fratelli brand. The Giant Eagle chain carries a lot of their branded product. I think all of their crushed tomato products are packed from fresh tomatoes.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2012, 11:45:27 AM »
Thanks for your help, Zing. I did a little research after reading your post, and everything seems to add up. I tried a Dei Fratelli product years ago, and I didn't really like it. Nevertheless, I have recently acquired a can of their crushed tomatoes to use whenever I resume my Tommy's quest.

Hey, has anyone here ever had Iacono's? From what I understand, it was started by the brother of the guy who founded Tommy's after the two brothers had a falling out. Naturally I assume Iacono's is very similar to Tommy's, but I've never had it. Me and my folks were going to try it about ten days ago after we took my young cousin to the zoo. But when we pulled into the parking lot of the Sawmill Road unit, we quickly found out that it was closed, and that a Mexican restaurant will be opening soon in the building. I'm pretty sure there's at least one other Iacono's, but I haven't checked yet.

Whenever I resume my quest to clone Tommy's, I'll try to make a post with my most up to date figures and procedures, because I know my information has become a little hard to follow as this thread has grown and changed.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
My wife used to love Iacono's. she mentioned this as we drove past the Kenny Rd location near Henderson
4452 KENNY RD, Columbus, Ohio 43220

I'll have to check it out sometime. maybe a monthly pizza outing is in order?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
Here are the dumpster treasures I promised months ago. The first two pics are from two different sections of the tomato product box, and the last pic is obviously the pepperoni box. I didn't even think about looking for any other particular ingredient packaging (like flour or cheese) because they're just not as important to me; the cheese doesn't contribute as much of the signature Tommy's taste as the tomato and pepperoni do, although the crust is by far the most important component of Tommy's pizza. But that has more to do with the dough formula and dough management than it has to do with what flour they use. Switching from All Trumps to KAAP has made a huge positive difference in my most recent clone attempts.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
Since I've successfully motivated myself to post some pictures, here are a few more. Apparently these are from July 31, 2011. I'm surprised I didn't post them back then. I'm curious to see what I had to say back then.

Bacon, chicken, and fresh jalapenos.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2012, 06:41:38 PM »
Lamination love...very nice look'in pie Ryan!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2012, 06:54:03 PM »
Apparently these are from July 31, 2011. I'm surprised I didn't post them back then. I'm curious to see what I had to say back then.

HA! I just read what I was saying back then, and it's kinda the total opposite of what I said a few months ago after eating at Tommy's. I think I was kinda crazy last summer. (Girl + my head = add it up.) But hey, I like how that pizza looks. It's very unusual for me to use anything other than cheese and pepperoni. I think I saw some other pics from last summer that looked pretty good, too. Maybe I'll post them soon.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »
Lamination love...very nice look'in pie Ryan!

Yeah, I like that one, too. But it looks a little gummy.

And thanks.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
My wife used to love Iacono's. she mentioned this as we drove past the Kenny Rd location near Henderson
4452 KENNY RD, Columbus, Ohio 43220

I'll have to check it out sometime. maybe a monthly pizza outing is in order?

Yeah, dude. I'm all for that.

pizzapan