Thanks Chris. It's cool to get a little feedback from people who have had Tommyís before, especially when it confirms that Iím on the right track (or if it corrects me when I may be wrong).
I just made a batch of dough, using a much different formula than my best yet formula. As you will see below, Iíve made some pretty drastic changes in the percentages of yeast, salt, oil, and sugar. Iím also going to limit the bulk rise to 6 hours or less, rather than 24 hours (partly due to the fact that Iíve doubled the yeast, but also because 24 hours was giving me some borderline overfermented doughs). What I think will really make my next Tommyís clone great, though, is the new lamination technique, which I intend to outline in a follow-up post very soon (as well as in pictures, once I actually try it).
Iíll probably use Cento crushed tomatoes (with a little added basil) for sauce. I just tried this product for the first time a few weeks ago, and itís really good. I bought it with the sole intention of using it to make a pasta sauce, assuming it would be a little chunky. However, it turned out to be a puree thatís just about the perfect thickness for pizza sauce. And it tastes good, too. Since I havenít made any pizzas in at least a few weeks, I havenít tried this as a pizza sauce yet, but I think it will be very good. It wonít be like Tommyís sauce, but it will be more like Tommyís sauce than the other tomato products Iíve used.
Here's the dough formula I used for the batch of dough I just made:
HG Flour 100%
Water 40% (was 37.5)
ADY 1.25% (was 0.63)
Salt 0.5% (was 1.08)
Oil 9% (was 15)
Sugar 0% (was 0.76)
First I added the salt and oil to the flour, then mixed it all up a little. (Even though my formula says 0% sugar, I did use a pinch of sugar just to prove the yeast.) When the yeast water was ready, I poured it into the dry ingredients, then I immediately poured the rest of the very warm water (about 115 degrees) into the dry ingredients. Next I mixed everything by hand for several seconds, just to give the dough hook something solid to grab onto. I then mixed the dough in a Kitchen-Aid mixer with a spiral dough hook for just long enough to bring everything together (probably 3 or 4 minutes). There was still a little bit of loose flour in the mixing bowl when I stopped mixing.
Following the bulk ferment (which I now suspect will only last 3 hours, tops), I will divide the dough into dough balls. I will not round the dough balls, though, because I donít want to overdevelop the gluten. Instead, Iím just going to scale the dough into smaller pieces and shape them as if I was making a snowball. (As Iíve already been doing, I will use two separate dough balls for each dough skin.)
I donít want to get too far ahead of myself, so Iíll stop now. Much more to come.