Author Topic: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas  (Read 53175 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Tommy's Pizza (Columbus OH) - Any recipe ideas
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
For my next pizza "photo shoot" I am going to try this low buck idea...already have the clamp light in the shop. Thought it might work nicely clamping onto opened cupboard door...
Bulb cost $9
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
That will work, Bob.  You might need a diffuser or to point the light at the ceiling to avoid harsh shadows and too much contrast.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
What about this Brian?
http://www.jensenbest.com/Product_Photo_Light_Tent_Kit_p/6200.htm?gclid=CLW3sdOPmrICFQcGnQodiAQADw

Good grief!  If you want to get elaborate and take pro-level shots, yes, that's a very nice tool to have... along with a DSLR w/ wideangle lens, tripod and remote trigger.   

I've been considering hauling out my old underwater camera gear to rig a slave strobe, but frankly, I'm too lazy.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »
Pic 1: This may be essentially the same product as what Tommy's uses for their sauce.

Pic 2: I added a little oregano and basil to the crushed tomatoes; I didn't measure, but I'd estimate that I used 1/2 tsp of oregano and 1 tsp of basil. I then applied 3.5 oz of sauce to the skin, which had been in the refrigerator for about 6-1/2 hours.

Pic 3: Been craving bacon lately, so I fried some up. Except for that one piece, which I used raw just to see if raw bacon would cook on a pizza. (6.5 oz of cheese.)

Pic 4: Added pepperoni, too. Then, just as I was about ready to bake, some jalapenos entered the building, so I threw on a little bit of jalapeno as well.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
Pics.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
And a few more pics.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
Here's a recap of the pizza above:

I baked the pizza on the pan on the stone for 9 minutes at 500, then finished directly on the stone for another 2 minutes.

The pictures aren't bad, I suppose, but they don't do this one justice because this pizza was really good. It may not have been the best I've ever made, but it probably came the closest to replicating what my mind says is Tommy's. The crust was very crispy but not crunchy; maybe a hair too thin. Despite what I just said a couple sentences ago, this one definitely could be considered a best-yest, though there's a lot of room for improvement.

The one thing I'm happiest about with this pizza is that I think I finally got the cut pattern right.

The sauce pic a couple posts back looks like pretty heavy application of sauce, right? Yeah, well I could barely taste anything resembling sauce. So after one try with the Dei Fratelli crushed tomatoes, I'm thinking it's not the same thing as the tomato product packaging I found in the Tommy's dumpster. The jury is still out, but I'm not impressed.

Considering the crispness of today's pizza, I'm gonna go ahead and try 54% hydration for the next batch, which I'll mix tonight, letting half of it bulk ferment overnight for tomorrow's pizza. Also gonna knock the ADY back down to 0.60%, and increase the salt to 1.75%.

The way I'm starting to feel about bench flour between the laminations is that you cannot possibly use too much of it. I used a lot of bench flour on today's pizza, but there wasn't a lot of separation compared to yesterday's pizza, which was gonzo on the bench flour.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2012, 10:10:46 PM »
Oh yeah, and that piece of raw bacon probably ended up cooked well enough not to freak anyone out. I wouldn't advise that anyone top pizzas with raw bacon, though, because it won't end up as well done as most people like their bacon. Still, I'll probably try it again.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »
Your resistance to experimentation is interesting.  I would think someone as courageous as you would have not trouble trying something new.  I really think shortening (butter, margarine, crisco, lard) between the laminations would give you more of a seperated-layer effect.

I would duplicate your recipe and try it myself (to answer your objection), but you have all the experience and controls in place for a great experiment.

Please try it.  Please?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2012, 11:54:14 PM »
I really think shortening (butter, margarine, crisco, lard) between the laminations would give you more of a seperated-layer effect.

Here's something that had never occurred to me until I read your post and started envisioning what would happen if I actually did try to use solid fat between the laminates: With this relatively stiff dough, the heat generated by the friction of rolling the dough, in conjunction with the pressure required to roll a stiff dough, would melt the fat and lubricate the laminates, turning the whole thing into a big mess.

I know nothing about pastry dough, but I'm guessing that when people put solid fat between layers of pastry dough, they use a very soft dough made of low-protein flour. Can anyone verify this or tell me I'm wrong?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #231 on: September 04, 2012, 12:15:05 AM »
Here's something that had never occurred to me until I read your post and started envisioning what would happen if I actually did try to use solid fat between the laminates: With this relatively stiff dough, the heat generated by the friction of rolling the dough, in conjunction with the pressure required to roll a stiff dough, would melt the fat and lubricate the laminates, turning the whole thing into a big mess.

I know nothing about pastry dough, but I'm guessing that when people put solid fat between layers of pastry dough, they use a very soft dough made of low-protein flour. Can anyone verify this or tell me I'm wrong?

Puff pastry is typically made with AP flour and is not particularly soft.

You only roll-trifold-roll a couple times between chilling the dough.

For this recipe, I'd use lard.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #232 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
Yes, temperature is a big factor.  Chill the dough after rolling it out, add the lard, fold it, roll it, chill it.  Then bake.
Hopefully you will see some big differences.  Thanks for considering it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #233 on: September 04, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »
Ryan, have you seen this...

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.

Well, even if I do try the fat thing, it probably ain't gonna be anytime soon. I've just carried the front 11, and I'm trying to at least hit the pocket for my first 300. (That was a metaphor.)

In reality, the first time I had one shot left for 300, I hit the pocket really light. My intention was to do the same thing I had done with the previous 11 shots, which was the right thing to do. Only problem was that my execution was off. I threw the ball a little too hard, so it took a split second longer to break. Result: I left the 2-5 for a 298.

Not a perfect analogy (because my pizzas a few frames ago were the equivalent of gutterballs), but it's the best I can come up with right now.

Right now I gotta keep doing what got me here. If I try the pastry thing, it'll be like trying to throw that 12th shot left-handed (which is against the rules for right-handers and is to be scored as 0 even if you throw a strike). I can experiment some other week, when I'm in the middle of a 150 game.

Formula for the dough I made last night:

100% KAAP
54% Water
0.60% ADY
1.75% Salt

10.5-hour bulk ferment at room temperature (15 oz of dough). Divided into two and rolled the dough at about 10:00 this morning, using almost no bench flour for the initial roll, then applying a ton of bench flour between the laminates. Dough skin weighed 10.13 oz (TF=0.107 oz of dough per square inch). I put the skin in the fridge (on the lightly-sprayed pan, with plastic wrap covering the top to keep it from drying) at about 10:20 this morning.

In the second pic you can see that I rolled the skin slightly larger than the pan after trimming. The skin was still kinda sticking to the counter at this point, though, so it shrunk a little once I removed it from the counter. With this skin and future skins, I will be making an effort to end up with skins that are exactly the same size as the pan, not 1/4" to 1/2" larger than the pan.

Question: Is pastry dough fermented, or is the fat used to simulate leavening?

Another question: What's the most unlikely, most difficult pin total (final score) for one person to score in one game of bowling?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:32:25 PM by AimlessRyan »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
Me thinks you got a typo on your ADY.

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »
Good catch. Thanks. I fixed it.

I'm a little disappointed that no one has answered my question about the bowling score yet. (Hint: It's not 300 and it's not a trick question.)

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
I'm a little disappointed that no one has answered my question about the bowling score yet. (Hint: It's not 300 and it's not a trick question.)

http://bit.ly/Okj7xz
 :P
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
...without cheating.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
Pic 1: Since I couldn't taste the 3.5 oz of sauce on yesterday's pizza, I put 5 oz of sauce on today's.

Pic 2: 6.5 oz of cheese, with pepperoni, bacon, and about twice as many fresh jalapeno slices as yesterday's pizza (because I heard I'm not getting enough vegetables in my diet). Can you even see the pizza there?

I'm getting ready to bake within the next 15 minutes or so.

pizzapan