Author Topic: What's the difference between pizza dough and bread dough  (Read 11556 times)

Offline wizarddrummer

What's the difference between pizza dough and bread dough
« on: November 28, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »
What's the basic difference between the dough for a pizza and the dough for bread?

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: What's the difference between pizza dough and bread dough
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
It really depends on the type of bread and pizza you like to make.  For me there is very little difference if any at all.  I can use the same recipe and workflow to make good pizza and bread.

Bread dough tends to be higher in hydration and baked longer. 

Chau

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
Shape when cooked.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »
What's the basic difference between the dough for a pizza and the dough for bread?

wizarddrummer,

That is a very broad and general question. Are there particular aspects of both types of doughs that you would like someone to discuss? There are many different types of bread doughs and many different types of pizza doughs and they can be mutually exclusive. Also, some bread doughs can be used to make pizzas and there are pizza doughs that can be used to make bread. There are also differences in how bread doughs are made and how pizza doughs are made. Their formulations can also be different. Several years ago, I took a stab at discussing some differences at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3153.msg26764/topicseen.html#msg26764. To what I said in that post, I would add that there are also techniques such as stretch and folds and turns that are often used to make artisanal breads that are used by a small number of artisan pizza makers (like Brian Spangler of Apizza Scholls and Tom Douglas at Serious Pie) but almost never used by the mainstream pizza operators like chains and independent pizza operators.

You might also take a look at Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12291.msg116476/topicseen.html#msg116476 where I discuss the windowpaning aspects of bread dough vis-a-vis pizza dough.

Maybe the above will help you expand upon your question should you wish to do so.

Peter

Offline Davydd

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
I got into artisan bread baking when I had a batch of pizza dough that would not stretch out. Turned out to be a nice loaf of bread.  ;D
Davydd

Offline wizarddrummer

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »
Pete, I tried to reply to your message, but being new, I could not quote the message because it had hyper links in it.

I didn't know enough about it to ask a detailed queston. Your anwer was what i needed to know.

thanks to you and all the rest for the replies.