Author Topic: Fiore di latte. is this what the pros are using?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline PizzaVera

Fiore di latte. is this what the pros are using?
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:31:45 PM »
is this what the pros are using for their standard pies ?
UPN, KESTE, motorino, etc...??????

I'm not talking about Bufula.. thats usually an extra or standard on certain pies, I'm talking about the basic cheese they use for all the other pies on the menu...
anyone know which brands? 

you guys know MAURI?

Also I know some cheese is better to eat raw, like for caprese salad etc.. and some is better cooked..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:35:23 PM by PizzaVera »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Fiore di latte. is this what the pros are using?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »

I'm not talking about Bufula.. thats usually an extra or standard on certain pies, I'm talking about the basic cheese they use for all the other pies on the menu...

you guys know MAURI?

Also I know some cheese is better to eat raw, like for caprese salad etc.. and some is better cooked..

PizzaVera,

I was at Keste's, but don't know what kind of cheese they use.  If you are interested in reading over these posts on Keste's you might get some clues.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/123063-keste-pizza-vino-271-bleecker-st/

Starting with weinoo, who posts:
The ingredients used on the pizzas were really stellar. There's fresh mozzarella from DiPalo's, mozzarella bufala imported from Naples, pecorino grand cru, lardo from Salumeria Biellese, and so on.

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »
thanks norma..

what about using fresh mozzarella on pizza. I mean the kind which is usually used for caprese salad.
Belgioso from Cosco.
Brelat
mauri

these cheeses are not suitable for pizza right?   I mean I have tried them so I dont know..

I guess they would be.. of course not cost effective.. but..

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:57:39 PM »
PizzaVera, I haven't been to any of these big name places but I have had a few of the cheeses.

I didn't care for the Grande fiore di latte.   As for the Di Palo mozz I had at Bill's house, I thought it was really good. 

As far as pizza goes, you can put any kind of cheese you like to eat on it regardless of what the pros use.  Fresh mozz is great on pizza.  Some brands are certainly better than others and everyone's taste is different, so use what you like.   I like Trader Joe's fresh mozz much better than Costco's Belgioso even though the Belgioso is half the price so I use the TJ's mozz.   Yes and typically the soft mozz is going to cost more than the block or shredded mozz. 

Chau

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:24:14 AM »

As far as pizza goes, you can put any kind of cheese you like to eat on it regardless of what the pros use.  Fresh mozz is great on pizza.  Some brands are certainly better than others and everyone's taste is different, so use what you like.   I like Trader Joe's fresh mozz much better than Costco's Belgioso even though the Belgioso is half the price so I use the TJ's mozz.   Yes and typically the soft mozz is going to cost more than the block or shredded mozz. 

Chau

funny you mention TRADER JOES, I usually buy belgioso cheese for my caprese salads, it really tastes great!
so I saw this brand TRADER JOES so I thought I would give it a go for my salad.. and HELL NO!!!!!
the cheese is not suitable for Caprese at all...  I wish I could try it on pizza.. I guess it needs to be melted.
I have never tried melting Belgioso.. but I love it for Caprese.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:46:52 AM »
It's been a long while since I've used the Belgioso fresh mozz, but from what  I do remember it was better eating cold.  It was okay on pizza but I find it to be rubbery after it cools down.  And I like mozz to have a bit of salt in it already.  The belgioso has next to none if any at all and is rather tasteless to me.  It sure is cheap though.  I think most ppl can get 2lbs of it at Costco for around $6-$7.

I'm curious as to why you didn't like the TJ's stuff for caprese?  Was it too salty or not the right texture?  There are at least a couple of TJ's soft mozz.  I like the tubed one that is really white in color and soft if you squeeze it. It has a slightly salty taste to it and melts nicely on pizza.  Not the best but not bad at $5.40 for 16oz.   

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:03:21 AM »
It's been a long while since I've used the Belgioso fresh mozz, but from what  I do remember it was better eating cold.  It was okay on pizza but I find it to be rubbery after it cools down.  And I like mozz to have a bit of salt in it already.  The belgioso has next to none if any at all and is rather tasteless to me.  It sure is cheap though.  I think most ppl can get 2lbs of it at Costco for around $6-$7.

I'm curious as to why you didn't like the TJ's stuff for caprese?  Was it too salty or not the right texture?  There are at least a couple of TJ's soft mozz.  I like the tubed one that is really white in color and soft if you squeeze it. It has a slightly salty taste to it and melts nicely on pizza.  Not the best but not bad at $5.40 for 16oz.   

the one I had wasn't soft, it was hard. and SORRY It wasn't trader joes my mistake..
it was called PRECIOUS Mozzarella..
sorrento lactalis inc manufactors it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:08 AM »

these cheeses are not suitable for pizza right?   I mean I have tried them so I dont know..

I guess they would be.. of course not cost effective.. but..

PizzaVera,

Chau is right, you just have to try different mozzarella cheeses to see what you like, when it is baked on a pizza.  If you use the search feature for fresh mozzarella cheese or other words, you can see what other members have tried on their pizzas. 

This is one search, that you can see what fresh mozzarella members prefer.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11378.0.html

I made my own mozzarella cheese with raw milk a couple of times and used it for Caprese Salad and also the cheese for my pizza.  Terry (tdeane) helped me though that process.  Although my mozzarella wasn't professional, it did melt well and tasted good on the pizzas I made.

Norma 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:40:37 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »

you guys know MAURI?

Just out of curiosity, why are you so obsessed in knowing everything about all the top pizzerias?  This seems to be the topic of most of your posts.  Why not just find a brand that you like & stick with it?  I can pretty much guarantee you that if all of the aforementioned pizzeria's used the same cheese that it would taste different on all their pizza's.

Matt

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 10:31:50 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why are you so obsessed in knowing everything about all the top pizzerias?  This seems to be the topic of most of your posts.  Why not just find a brand that you like & stick with it?  I can pretty much guarantee you that if all of the aforementioned pizzeria's used the same cheese that it would taste different on all their pizza's.

Matt

LOL, wouldn't go as far as saying most of my posts are about what the top places are using, but.. yeah, I do take a very serious interest in what they do, because they are famous, respected and considered to be the best places in America serving the most authentic Italian pies..
so I like to know why! .. its not just the guy who is cooking it.. America has spoken and they have chosen those ingredients so I want to know what they are.. then I want to try and see..
I don't have a chance to visit all the places.. so I can just compare and think about it in theory and then try and figure out a similarity between them.. I am just researching around, I like to know as much as I can.. trust me I have considered just ringing up those places and asking them directly  but I thought that probably wouldn't go down so well hahahaha

yes I will try a lot  of different cheeses, but if you read my other posts, I have moved to a country where cheese is not easily available, the ones that are here are expensive. the local cheese is not that good.. so I am looking at different ways.. I am opening my restaurant soon so I just want to know from other peoples experiences..
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:50:32 PM by PizzaVera »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »

yes I will try a lot  of different cheeses, but if you read my other posts, I have moved to a country where cheese is not easily available, the ones that are are expensive. the local cheese is not that good.. so I am looking at different ways.. I am opening my restaurant soon so I just to know from other peoples experiences

I don't know what country you live in.

Offline BurntFingers

• My son, nephew and me
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
I just came back from pricing out the curd to make fiore di latte at Corrado's in NJ.  They are asking $2.49 U.S. per lb.  We usually buy blocks of it and make our own Mozzarella for pizza and antipasti.

I would say for business purposes purchase the cheese that the local population taste buds crave.  Large highly capitalized places with major marketing advertisement budgets and web chatter create the desire by their ads.  Mom and Pop places can't compete with Olive Garden type ads or menu.   Do you want to make money or do you want to sell only authentic Neapolitan Pizza to an American palate?  That is really the question.
Bill

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 06:32:31 AM »
I just came back from pricing out the curd to make fiore di latte at Corrado's in NJ.  They are asking $2.49 U.S. per lb.  We usually buy blocks of it and make our own Mozzarella for pizza and antipasti.

I would say for business purposes purchase the cheese that the local population taste buds crave.  Large highly capitalized places with major marketing advertisement budgets and web chatter create the desire by their ads.  Mom and Pop places can't compete with Olive Garden type ads or menu.   Do you want to make money or do you want to sell only authentic Neapolitan Pizza to an American palate?  That is really the question.
Bill

you make an accurate and economical statement. I agree with you..  but you can also make money with authentic ingredients. you just have to raise costs slightly.  Olive garden carters to a selective crowd! Most rich people will not set foot in there.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
where did you move ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 11:07:21 AM »
where did you move ?

Andre,

If you are referring to PizzaVera, it is South Korea (Reply 12 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12457.msg118823.html#msg118823).

Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
WOW south Korea !! you should try to contact some Neapolitan pizzeria in Japan and ask what they are using... maybe import from Japan...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:57:32 PM »
WOW south Korea !! you should try to contact some Neapolitan pizzeria in Japan and ask what they are using... maybe import from Japan...
yes I have already researched japan and Hong kong.  also its possible to import from here too, but the quarantine laws here are very strict so I am still looking into it, also there are some small milk companies here which are making cheese and I  found one company which makes a replica fiore di late I havent tried it yet, but I will soon.
I know in Japan they are flying them in from Italy, but it wouldn't make sense for me to buy from the japanese , it would be best to go straight to the source. so thats I am looking into. the logistics of it all, I really don't want to use the crap shredded stuff everyone else is using, even thought they make money.. I just don't want too...

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 07:42:40 AM »
They have a bunch of Neapolitan pizzerias in Japan(35) so it would make sense for a supplier(s) to import flour, cheese, ex. But for you yourself to import all that stuff to Korea is going to cost a pretty penny because your most likely going to have to buy it in pallets.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
They have a bunch of Neapolitan pizzerias in Japan(35) so it would make sense for a supplier(s) to import flour, cheese, ex. But for you yourself to import all that stuff to Korea is going to cost a pretty penny because your most likely going to have to buy it in pallets.

yes, the dried goods is not problem buying in Pallets,  I would stock up for the year or 6 months.. more economical in the long run.
as I will be bringing over an Oven from Naples it will be the best chance to load up a container with the Oven to save on shipping costs.

but that still brings me back to the cheese..  OHHHH THE CHEESE.......what to do, what to do...
if I can freeze it, then thats what I will do, I heard Roberto freezes his out in Keste,, so this will be something I will look into..

Offline Matthew

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »

I heard Roberto freezes his out in Keste,, so this will be something I will look into..

He doesn't freeze it, he buys it flash frozen.  I have frozen fresh mozzarella in the past & have been less than pleased with the results.

Matt 

pizzapan