Author Topic: New user: mtlstyle  (Read 823 times)

Offline mtlstyle

New user: mtlstyle
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »

A little about myself.

Live in Montreal with a gas oven. I enjoy the quick pre-heat but I miss the overhead broiling of the electric.

I have a Cuisinart planetary. Probably the 5 qt SM55. As far as planetaries go, I think the non-tilting, raise the bowl, Kitchenaid types have better hook shapes for kneading. This Cuisinart may be better than a tilting head Kitchenaid but I've concluded that all mass-produced tilting head planetaries are unsatisfactory to my taste. The hook is not a fully developed 3D screw. The dough sticks to or climbs up the hook. The orbit of the turning hook is too small.

Also, I have a huge flat aluminum dish with holes. So big it barely fits. Love it.

Nice thing about living in Montreal is that the distributor for Santos is here.
The best store for cooking tools I've found is Ares in Pointe-Claire.

The best style of pizza is Montreal style. I have two goals in life. One is to make for myself as good a pizza as my favourite Montreal pizzerias. Two is to get worldwide recognition of "Montreal" as a distinctive style of pizza.

Gilles.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: New user: mtlstyle
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »
Mtlsyle,  welcome aboard.  How would you describe montreal pizza?  I ate at il focolaio pizza this past summer and was underwhelmed.  The cheese,  which there was too much of IMO, was very good and by far the best component.  The crust,  if I had to guess was a frozen dough imported from the states made with bromated flour.  Could be wrong,  but that was my guess while I was there.  It had a wonderbread quality to it that made me think that.  Beyond that,  it was just too undercooked in the middle,  and thats coming from someone who appreciates an authentic neapolitan pizza.   What we got served,  was like an underdone NY pizza.  So,  what defines the style up there?  I tried to hit one of the better spots and was dissapointed...  -marc

Offline mtlstyle

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »
I would describe "Montreal Style" as follows: Crust rim with all the qualities of a true french baguette. Very hard crust, moist fluffy inside. Next, a significant amount of sauce so that each bite is juicy and tomato-tasting. But not so much as create a ragout. Next, an all covering blanket of very thinly sliced mild pepperoni, many slices thick. Next, mushrooms and green bell pepper to order. Next, an all covering blanket of mozzarella cheese. The lot is cooked until all the cheese melts and both the cheese and crust rim are about 50% brown with some very dark almost black spots. I will post photos of my own and of restaurants.

Offline mtlstyle

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:18:09 PM »
These are photos of one of mine so not (yet) the best sample of the Montreal Style. Not enough cheese. The meat is chopped rather than sliced.

Gilles.

Offline Williamgag

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
MTL style is a regular neapolitan... why bothering creating a gay random style, we have a super nice italian community. btw, try "la bottega" its in little italy and its "bombastic"

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:20:54 PM »
  The picture I see is not a Neopolitan pizza. Not even close.
Don

MTL style is a regular neapolitan... why bothering creating a gay random style, we have a super nice italian community. btw, try "la bottega" its in little italy and its "bombastic"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
Mtlstyle.  That looks like a tasty pie.  Looks like a deep dish with a puffy rim. 

Offline Williamgag

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:50:19 PM »
lol that's because i wouldnt say that's a MTl pizza because I lived in Montreal for 14 years old and never saw anything close to this and i spend a lot of time in pizza shops men  ;D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 09:07:07 PM »
I don't really do labels, but that looks like a very good pizza.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
I really don't know how to do labels, but I would hit that pizza.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan