Author Topic: thin and crispy in brick oven  (Read 785 times)

Offline gd125

• I Love Pizza!
thin and crispy in brick oven
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »
Ive tried neopolitan pizza  in brick oven which tends to be not that crispy and flops over, however ive yet to come across a crispy and airy dough recipe that i can put into my brick oven.  Anybody know of a great recipe for this type of crust?

thanks
gd

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: thin and crispy in brick oven
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
gd, what floor temp are you launching at and what is the bake time. These may be keys to what you want. Your dough recipe may also help us make suggestions.
And of course pics are a bonus!
Stop by next time you are west and we can cook a pie or two.

Mark,
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline gd125

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
hi mark,

i fired up my brick oven last night first time after using a 3 day cold ferment Neapolitan at
1,247 grams - Flour (Bakers' Percent = 100%)
761 grams - VERY cold water (Bakers' Percent = 61%)
28 grams - Pure Sea Salt (Bakers' Percent = 2.25%)
1.3 grams - Instant Dry Yeast .

my brick oven floor was around 720 and sides were 820. dome was hi.  I just couldnt get a crispy crsut even though i had some nice bubbles going.  the bottom of crust did have nice leoparding and char going on.  WHat am I doing wrong?...

thx
gd

Offline gd125

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
i forgot too mention bake times were around 3 minutes.

thx gd

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
gd, in my experience with my wfo, Pizza Party, I can achieve a crisper crust if I stay with a floor temp around 650. I am currently using 57% hydration with 3% EVOO so an effective hydration of 60%. I bake by bottom color and generally "dome" if I need more top color after the bottom is good. Yesterday my floor temp was 750+ with a 2:33 bake time. Not crisp but not floppy either. I was too hungry to wait for the floor temp to go down.

Mark

Offline gd125

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
Mark,

Ill try the change in floor temp and evoo..    My dough felt really sticky at 61% hydration.  Cant imagine how sticky it will be with 57% but i guess thats where the evoo plays a role. By the way mark i was so close to getting the pizza party but instead went with a brick oven from pcbrickovens. Its a gas unit but i realized Im getting the floor alot hotter with an actual fire.  Pizza party is a nice mobile unit it seems.

thx
gd 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 06:12:13 PM »
Mark,
  Pizza party is a nice mobile unit it seems.

thx
gd 

Mine just roosts.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
Hi I use my wfo to make a Chicago thin crust...which is slightly thicker than cracker, but some Chicago joints are much closer to a cracker!  I use a very dry doughf based on the loowaters generic Chicago thin crust recipe!(thank you loo!!!!).  but I like to have Italian sausage on mine.  so I get the floor to about 700.  and bc I use raw Italian sausage I usually want to cook for 10-11mins.  it has a nice crisp on the bottom and is firm to hold the toppings without flopping.  but I also have to work it and keep turning it usually after the 1st min, and then every couple of mins with my metal peel....its fun.  and the cooking time may be too long of a time for you and what you want!  here's one of my fav pics of a Chicago thin crust I did from the wfo.  what fun!!!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:29:21 AM »
mrmojo1, nice pie. Another member was asking how to achieve a thin, crisp crust in a WFO. Hope they see this post.

Mark

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 05:50:13 PM »
Are you confident on that temperature?  At 700F I would have charcoal at 10-11 minutes with a lean dough let alone a low hydration one with oil and sugar.
-Jeff

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
I use a laser thermometer, floor gets to 700 and then I push the fire into the corner and brush the floor.  this is about an hour after starting the fire when the dome gets clear.  I prefer if it is a little lower in the 600s then I don't have to rotate as much.  but usually I have to rotate it quickly, and often, and sometimes pull it towards the mouth opening if it is looking like it's getting done.   and I also use a stopwatch.  often I get the oven too hot and have to wait for dome and floor temp to come down, and this can take a while.....   this is a much different dough than neo.  as I have used both in the wfo.  when I cook in the oven at home on a stone at 550 it's 12-13 min...so this is a little less at 10 or 11. don't know what else to say...the thermometer I believe is correct I shine it on my wife's head and it's says 89 degrees...pretty close!  this method has worked for me for years now. happy pizza making!

pizzapan