Author Topic: Pizza Hut (Back in the day)  (Read 13614 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Pizza Hut (Back in the day)
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2012, 12:15:51 AM »
Before about '84-85 Pizza Hut fell into the "American Cracker" category along with many including Village Inn, and even Shakey's. 
Do you have a recollection of what pre-'84 PH T&C pizza was like before it "fell" into "American Cracker"....please try to expound mykall. Thanks
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mykall

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2012, 12:43:40 AM »
Do you have a recollection of what pre-'84 PH T&C pizza was like before it "fell" into "American Cracker"....please try to expound mykall. Thanks

Pre 1980-4 Pizza Hut WAS definitely cracker!  It did *NOT*  "fall" into this after this date.  Let's get this straight!   Somewhere between 80-83  is when the big thick PAN PIZZAS w/ buffalo mozzi  put PH on the map.  This continued to about the late-eighties until the company lost itself again.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2012, 12:55:16 AM »
Pre 1980-4 Pizza Hut WAS definitely cracker!  It did *NOT*  "fall" into this after this date.  Let's get this straight!   Somewhere between 80-83  is when the big thick PAN PIZZAS w/ buffalo mozzi  put PH on the map.  This continued to about the late-eighties until the company lost itself again.

I'm sorry, I got a 'lil backward there with my understanding of what you said....you're absolutely correct, mykall, pre-84 T&C was absolutely the best! No bout a doubt it !!! ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »
I read here that they switched over to using frozen dough...anybody know when that was?
I worked at Pizza Hut off and on from the late '80s to the late '90s.  I forget when the hand tossed crust came out.  It was the first frozen dough, at least at the Hut I worked at - number 312079 in Liberty, TX.  I think it was the same dough that was used for stuffed crust when that came out.  I'd forgotten about frozen personal pan dough until someone mentioned that.  I think I vaguely remember switching to that before I left.  When I left, I think it was '96 or '97, thin dough and pan dough for small, medium, and large pans were still made fresh. 

To add a little to the Thin 'N Crispy discussion - when I worked there we started making dough at 08:00.  We opened at 11:00, so the thin dough would start being used three hours or less after it was mixed.  In a pinch there were times when we ran out and resorted to mixing a batch and using it almost immediately after mixing.  I also remember that the mixing time for thin dough was three minutes.

Kevin

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

To add a little to the Thin 'N Crispy discussion - when I worked there we started making dough at 08:00.  We opened at 11:00, so the thin dough would start being used three hours or less after it was mixed.  In a pinch there were times when we ran out and resorted to mixing a batch and using it almost immediately after mixing.  I also remember that the mixing time for thin dough was three minutes.

I'm sure we went in earlier than that but I don't recall the exact time, but yes, I remember the 3 minute mix and that the thin dough was useable almost immediately. I also remember the thin dough being extremely easy to use and almost totally lacking elasticity.

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
I'm sure we went in earlier than that but I don't recall the exact time
I remember one time I went in really early, around 17:00 the day before.   :)  I was scheduled to close one day and open the next day.  I ended up saying in between and cleaning the oven.  I don't miss those kind of hours. 
Kevin

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

Offline ctimmer

• Just let me have one more pizza and then I'll quit
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
I remember one time I went in really early, around 17:00 the day before.   :)  I was scheduled to close one day and open the next day.  I ended up saying in between and cleaning the oven.  I don't miss those kind of hours. 

As long as we are confessing... When customers would stay too long after closing, we would mop the floors with at mixture of clorox and ammonia cleaner. As most customers didn't have a gas mask handy, this was very effective at clearing out the dining area.

Curt

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »
This is an informative post. I'm currently on a thin and crispy quest in a commercial space. Like others I too worked as a dough master for Pizza Hut, but this was only back in 2001. I am curious about the PHTAC that was made in the 1970's as I will be using a deck oven as it seems PH did at that time.

I remember making thin dough, and putting it in a trash can, and I remember how it smelled  :drool:

I'm pretty sure we panned out some crisps after some time in the trash can, I could be wrong but I think it was left in there for a long time, a day perhaps. and then the  pans were placed in the walkin. Grabbing a chunk of dough at room temperature sounds interesting but I wonder about the waste involved, if the dough wasn't used was it thrown out?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2014, 04:30:58 PM »
At the Pizza Huts where I worked, all unused dough was thrown out at the end of each night. I didn't know this at the time, but their dough management scheme was quite inefficient.

pizzapan