Author Topic: Marsala Pizza from Jersey got me good...  (Read 1792 times)

Offline sonofapizza

• Gluten for Punishment...
Marsala Pizza from Jersey got me good...
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:16:48 PM »
Hi.  I was in NJ last December and had a fantastic slice of heavenly Marsala Pizza.  I can't remember the pizzeria name, dammit...
Anyway, I was wondering if any of you fine human beings have ever heard of, or partaken in such a slice.  It was traditionally NY style in crust and cheese blend.  But the sauce.... that sauce/base was so perfect.  It made me an addict.

Bottom line:  Is this a traditional East Coast slice, or was this one time shot at some hole in the wall in Jersey?

Most importantly:  Has anyone tried this pizza, and do they know a good recipie?  I wont sleep right until I figure it out..

Please help :chef:

Thanks,
-Theo

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Marsala Pizza from Jersey got me good...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:31:49 PM »

scott123

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:47:20 PM »
Can you recall the town it's in or at least the area?

Marsala pizza is definitely not a traditional East Coast slice.  I googled marsala+pizza+NJ and came up with about 10 places that have chicken marsala pizza.  That's not a lot.

Offline sonofapizza

• Gluten for Punishment...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
I'll Have my wife call her and ask her friend.  They live in some old aprtments in Northern NJ.   We went to their wedding, they were nice enough to let us stay in their appartment.  And half a click from that apartment was some of the best pizza I've had in years.  I went there every day for 6 days, sometimes twice a day!

Anyway, this slice just had the sauce - no chicken.  Also I kept having a slice of their "Vodka Sauce Pizza".  I think he called it a grandma Pie.  I'll find out soon.

Theo

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »
i used to go to a pizza place in garden city long island n.y. called mama Teresa's that had a awesome marsala pizza .now i make one in my wfo at home and it is just as good. It should be a simple marsala sauce that is thickend a little so it is not to soupy.in my wfo i par bake the crust for 30 seconds then top it , just because the oven is so hot. have fun fc

Offline Billy Boy

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
I live in Upper Greenwood Lake which is within West Milford, NJ bordering Orange County, NY. There is a pizza shop called Franks that makes it. Then again, so Does Fratellos Brick Oven Pizza in neighboring Warwick, NY. Now that you mention it there is a place in Mahwah two towns away near where I work that also makes it.
So yeah, I guess it may very well be a regional thing.
BB

;)

Offline cranky

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
I live in Upper Greenwood Lake which is within West Milford, NJ bordering Orange County, NY. There is a pizza shop called Franks that makes it. Then again, so Does Fratellos Brick Oven Pizza in neighboring Warwick, NY. Now that you mention it there is a place in Mahwah two towns away near where I work that also makes it.
So yeah, I guess it may very well be a regional thing.
BB

;)

Billy Boy,
I visit West Milford/Warwick and would like to find a good pizza.  Been to Franks and am not impressed.  Do you have any recommendations?  What is your favorite place?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »
Billy Boy,
I take the harley up to Greenwood Lake very often and I live in Mahwah !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Billy Boy

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »
Cranky- only thing we get at Franks is their deep dish, which I finish at home
JConk- Fratellos in Warwick far and away is the best(albeit not the cheapest) in the area. Worth the price though IMHO.
BB

;)

Offline cranky

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 10:51:03 PM »
Cranky- only thing we get at Franks is their deep dish, which I finish at home
JConk- Fratellos in Warwick far and away is the best(albeit not the cheapest) in the area. Worth the price though IMHO.
BB

;)

Thanks,
What do you recommend at Fratellos?

Offline Billy Boy

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:38:37 PM »
Thin crust carbonara is to die for!
Mangia!
BB

;)

pizzapan