Author Topic: Recipe for a "16 pizza.  (Read 1593 times)

Offline beeftime

Recipe for a "16 pizza.
« on: December 04, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »
I am going to place an order on penmac's pizza making website. What should I get and how do I make it? The recipes here - including Lehman's all look like nasty Papa Jhons clones with thick crusts an huge rims. Is it hard to make a real pizza or are people trying to emulate disgusting papa jhons, pizza hut and dominoes? Every photo I've seen here has a thick crust and a vomit inducing thick rim arond it. How do I make real pizza?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Recipe for a "16 pizza.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
beeftime,

I have made quite a few of those disgusting and vomit inducing Lehmann pizzas (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.0.html and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1453.0.html) and Papa John's clones (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.0.html and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.0.html), so you might want to wade through some other recipes for the NY style at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.0.html to see if you can answer your own questions.

Peter

Offline beeftime

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
Those look amazing. I am drooling over here. What flour do you use?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
Those look amazing. I am drooling over here. What flour do you use?

beeftime,

When I started with the NY style, I used mostly King Arthur Sir Lancelot (KASL) flour. At one point, I was able to get a 50-lb bag locally at a very good price. But I found that it took a long time for me to go through a 50-lb bag of flour. Also, in the Texas heat, flours are prone to bug infestation, so I eventually went to mostly the King Arthur bread flour (KABF) that I can buy at a local supermarket. So, it will always be fresh at the rate I use it. I often supplement the KABF, which has a protein content of 12.7%, with vital wheat gluten to raise its protein content to the same level as the KASL (14.2%).

Most places in NYC that specialize in the NY style pizza use bromated flours, mostly bromated high-gluten flour. The KASL is not bromated. You can sample the All Trumps bromated high-gluten flour by buying a small bag from PennMac. The All Trumps bromated flour is the most popular brand used in NYC for the NY style. Papa John's, like most of the big chains, does not use bromated flours. The flour that Papa John's uses is a high protein flour but it is a proprietary blend. I would say that a flour in the 12.7-14.2% protein range should work pretty well for that style in a home setting.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »
Every photo I've seen here has a thick crust and a vomit inducing thick rim arond it.

You sound like a real classy guy.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
I am going to place an order on penmac's pizza making website. What should I get and how do I make it? The recipes here - including Lehman's all look like nasty Papa Jhons clones with thick crusts an huge rims. Is it hard to make a real pizza or are people trying to emulate disgusting papa jhons, pizza hut and dominoes? Every photo I've seen here has a thick crust and a vomit inducing thick rim arond it. How do I make real pizza?

I'd be more concerned about learning how to spell rather than learning how to make a real pizza.

Offline beeftime

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »
Those ad hominem attacks are awesome - keep it going Essen and Matthew. It must be great to be a flawless god that has never made a spelling mistake ever. Pete, you have expanded my pizza knowledge and changed my perspctive on things today - thank you. I think I'm ready to make my first pizza now.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 04:28:03 PM »
Those ad hominem attacks are awesome - keep it going Essen and Matthew. It must be great to be a flawless god that has never made a spelling mistake ever. Pete, you have expanded my pizza knowledge and changed my perspctive on things today - thank you. I think I'm ready to make my first pizza now.

Seriously? I mean, really??

Let me get this straight so we understand each other here. You say that every pic you have seen so far, which I assume includes my and perhaps Matt's pics, too, look vomit inducing to you.

Sorry that we didn't provide an exactly warm welcome but given the time and effort most members here put into their pizzas and having them labeled "vomit inducing" warrants that kind of response.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
ex absurdus insulto adveho ira

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »
Given the numerous styles of pizza perhaps you would be happier with a thin and crispy type crust rather than a New York style which features a  bready rim. Best of luck.
Don
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:12:08 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline beeftime

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
Essen, your assumptions are paranoid and absurd. Obviously I have not seen every pic ever posted here so what makes you think my comments were directed at you? I agree that my comments were wrong and tasteless. I appologize if I've offended anyone. Essen, If it helps to calm yor paranoia, I've never seen your pizza.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »
You should, it is outstanding.

The size of the rim doesn't have anything to do with the dough recipe anyway, it has to do with how you use the dough.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline beeftime

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
I have no doubt that it is outstanding and certainly better than anything I can do.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 06:17:34 PM »
Essen, your assumptions are paranoid and absurd. Obviously I have not seen every pic ever posted here so what makes you think my comments were directed at you? I agree that my comments were wrong and tasteless. I appologize if I've offended anyone. Essen, If it helps to calm yor paranoia, I've never seen your pizza.

Ah, crap!

I am terribly sorry, Beeftime. It looks like I forgot to take my meds this morning. My bad.
Mike

Offline beeftime

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »
Buce, I've never seen a NY pizza that had athick rim. The pizza here is soft, thin, and foldable.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
The matter of rim size for a New York style pizza is something that we have been aware of on the forum for a long time. As someone who has lived in Texas for many years, and where I did not make much of an effort to find pizzerias that specialized in that style with any semblance to authenticity, it took me a while to understand what a typical NY slice was like. However, I eventually gained that understanding from a trip to NYC that I reported on in the Lehmann thread at Reply 501 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg31557.html#msg31557. As I noted there, despite what is considered the quintessential characteristics of a NY slice, with a small rim and almost devoid of color, most of our members seem to prefer large rims with an open and airy character. They also like more char than the typical NY slice, and a more artisanal approach to the style. That was true when I made my visit and it remains true to this day. I personally would rather have NY style pizzas made by our members than those I saw in NYC in the visit referenced above and several more thereafter. But, if one wants to emulate the current NY street style, that shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 06:31:39 PM »
I bet with 10 minutes of research I could find you New York pizzas that are deep dish, bready rim, cracker crust, and probably some that are square.  Labels are an ugly thing.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
beeftime,

I remember helping one of our members, ghost (Mike), try to make a thin NY style with a small rim. He eventually posted his method and results at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5158.msg43831.html#msg43831. There are other ways of achieving similar results in terms of small rim.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
beeftime,

This is something like a NY style, but without a puffy rim.  Maybe this is something like you are looking for.  This kind of pie is something Peter and I were experimenting on for awhile.  The rim would get puffy, but when you open the dough, you press on the dough, so the rim won’t become puffy.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg98559.html#msg98559   

This kind of pie, could have any kind of toppings.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan