Author Topic: Old Mill Pizzaria in Merrillville, IN  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
Old Mill Pizzaria in Merrillville, IN
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
Has anyone out there ever eaten at the Old Mill pizza place in Indiana?  I grew up there and it was always my favorite pizza as a kid.  What made it unique was the finely crumbled sausage and the mozzarella they used.  The cheese had a real nice "bite" to it.  You could almost say the cheese was sort of al dente.

I looked and looked but could only find one picture of a sausage pie from the Old Mill.

Anybody else ever eat there?  Your recollections?  Sadly, I believe it is closed down now.

John

Offline nmassey

Re: Old Mill Pizzaria in Merrillville, IN
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:06:43 PM »
Hello! Old Mill Pizza is still there and they still have the same phone number 219-769-4511!!! It was sold a couple years ago to a new owner that kept the same recipe. Although, I think they had to get the hang of how to actually cook the pies. We ordered a couple times after they sold it and complained that something just wasn't the same. It was the crust...while you would always get some black on the bottom of the pizza, the ones we got was just too much, like they didn't clean the oven. We've had it since then and it was much better. They even opened one up in Valpo but it didn't catch on. It's funny, on Facebook, there is a group called "You know you grew up in Merrillville if..." and someone put Old Mill Pizza!! Hope this makes your day! :)

Offline Parttimepizzaiolo

• Part-Time Pizzaiolo
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I was up in Merrillville in August and drove by the Old Mill but it was closed that day (I was on my way to Schoop's for a cheeseburger).  I knew about the Valpo store because my cousin lives in Four Seasons.  He said that the recipe used there was pretty poor and that the store closed fairly quickly.

I've always been intrigued by the sausage they used.  I'm pretty sure it had a lot of fennel in it.  Have any ideas?

Thanks again.

Offline rohrschachtext

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:41:55 PM »
Loved this pizza. It was always a favorite of mine. On a trip back to Indiana, I visited my family and my request was to eat there. Unfortunately, we found it closed in the fall of 2010.

Yes, the pizza did have fennel seed in it, and the sauce wasn't too sweet, either. And the cheese was always on thick. You had to pull it off, almost! Thanks for the photo, I miss this place!

pizzapan