Author Topic: Strianese San Marzanos  (Read 4986 times)

Offline BMAN111

Strianese San Marzanos
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:25:38 AM »
I'm looking for the freshest source for Strianese DOP San Marzano tomatoes.  The Italian market here in Houston is great for getting the weekly fresh shipment of mozzarella di bufala, but ironically their canned tomatoes are all beat-up and seem to linger on the shelf. The last Strianese can I bought said 2006 crop.  Due to their high acidity, tomatoes products should be used within about 18 months.  Any longer than this and you start tasting the can.  Does anyone know where we can get 2008 crop?  Thanks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Strianese San Marzanos
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »
BMAN111,

The Strianese San Marzanos are hard to come by at the retail store level, but Forno Bravo offers them at their website at http://www.fornobravo.com/store/San-Marzano-Tomatoes-p-1-c-254.html. I have no idea what year is currently being sold out of Forno Bravo. Obviously, they become quite expensive after shipping charges are added.

Peter

Offline BMAN111

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »
I've already emailed Forno Bravo and they won't write me back.  I just wanted them to pickup the last can they shipped and tell me the crop year.  Guess it wasn't worth their time or they knew I wouldn't like the answer.  They are probably drop-shipping anyway.  I checked with Taylor's Market and they are shipping-out 2007 and expect to get some 2008 crop towards the end of 2009.  With modern transportation, I don't understand why we have to deal with all of this old stock?  It's like we are eating the Italians garbage!  When it starts to get close to expiration they say, "Send it to the stupid Americans. They will buy this crap. lol !!"  Screw-it, I'm thinking about buying volcanic soil additive and growing my own.  :)

Offline BMAN111

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »
On second thought, I guess it would be kind of hard for them to pick-up the last can they shipped..lol

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »
I can get these locally in NJ for $5.39 for a #10 can!!
I have not tried them yet , but will purchase to have for the summer season.
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jersey Pizza Pride

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
Have you tried the strianese crushed?  With the imported tomatoes I usually don't promote the crushed but I have found these better than the whole and DOP's.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:48:09 PM »
Where are you in Jersey?
I have not tried the crushed but the new Fairway Market In Paramus NJ has a boat load of imported tomatoes I have not seen.
You know how that goes.  If I did not try it,Then its time to Buy It  :)
any thought or comments on these few I picked up?
John

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
Time to move to Alaska and grow San Marzanos.
You'll get fresh volcanic soil and be ahead of the global warming curve.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 07:59:40 PM »
Where are you in Jersey?
I have not tried the crushed but the new Fairway Market In Paramus NJ has a boat load of imported tomatoes I have not seen.
John

I picked up the crushed at Wharton Farms in Wharton, Morris County.  That was about a year ago, not sure if they still have them.  I gotta head over to Fairway.  I was just reading about that place.  Nice pic.  Huge fan of the Vantia DOP's btw.  Nice pics.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »
I work in wharton! Where is wharton farms? Like I said I have never had any of these as a relative newbie.
JC
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:02:04 PM by JConk007 »

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:10:38 PM »
I work in wharton! Where is wharton farms? Like I said I have never had any of these as a relative newbie.
JC

Its in a little strip mall with a chinese buffet and a pharmacy on Main Street.  Donut Towne is also in the same parking lot.  Its a pretty cool place.  It was apple tree before the board of health shut it down (not confirmed).  They remodeled and changed the name.  You can't beat the prices for fruits and veggies.  Super cheap cold cuts and cheeses.  Fish is cheap but I'm a little weary of it.  I'm not sure if they have a meat counter anymore.  Now onto the tomatoes.  Every couple of months they get in some new brands of Passatta and imported plums.  Last time I was there they had a brand called Merro which I liked after I rinsed them a few times.  If you check it out let me know if they have anything new.  Most of the stuff is second rate but for the prices you can't go wrong.  I would imagine they're related to some of the other produce warehouses around here.  Good luck!!! 

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »
I think it's a matter of of personal taste but I'm pretty sure the consensus on the San Marzano brands is overall bad.  Not the fact that they are California imposters but because they taste bitter and processed.  Not sure about the colavitas.  The rest are pretty awesome though.  Last time I had La Valles they were not good but i think it ranges from can to can.  I heard a long time ago that La Valle buys other brands and relabels.  Not sure if thats true. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »
Thanks JPP,
Willl check Main street wharton Is that the malll with the Post office?
JC

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »
Thanks JPP,
Willl check Main street wharton Is that the malll with the Post office?
JC

I do believe it is.  What part of Jersey are you from originally?

Offline tapco1

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »
Try Capri Flavors web site for their certified San Marzano Tomato.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 12:34:59 AM »
Where are you in Jersey?
John

Hey john, any chance of hearing your feedback on the tomatoes from the picture? how you ranked them?