Author Topic: Fantastic Knife Sharpener - Chef's Choice Edge Select 120  (Read 4944 times)

Offline petef

Fantastic Knife Sharpener - Chef's Choice Edge Select 120
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:46:47 PM »
Over the years I have spent considerable time learning & practicing the techniques of knife sharpening by hand using multiple grade sharpening stones. For many years I have hand sharpened my knives using 3 grades of sharpening stones. I would typically sharpen my most used chef's knife weekly or more often if I was hard on the knife. I get a very sharp edge that will slice a tomato with ease or cut into a paper towel with no effort at all. 

I recently purchased the Chef's Choice Edge Select 120, three stage knife sharpener and I get about the same sharpness as I did by hand sharpening but with very little effort. The amazing thing is how long it holds the edge. I'd say it stays sharp 2 to 3 times as long compared to my hand sharpening. Very impressive! 

Initially you sharpen the knife using all 3 stages, then when it gets a bit dull you only need to tune up the edge using the 2nd and 3rd stages. Every couple of months you might need to do all 3 stages again.I imagine the performance or need to sharpen will depend upon the quality and type of knife you have.

http://www.knifeworks.com/chefschoiceelectricdiamondhonethreestagesharpenerwhitecasing-1.aspx

Offline petef

Re: Fantastic Knife Sharpener - Chef's Choice Edge Select 120
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:14:55 AM »
I'm just wondering what others here are using to sharpen their chef's knife?

If sharpening by hand, have you ever compared your results to a machine like the EdgeSelect 120?

---pete---

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:24:26 AM »
I hate a dull knife. Through the years I have owned all sorts of electric and fancy manual rigs. I even have one of the Chef's Choice models. And none have kept my knives as sharp as this one I have been using for a few years:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/?tag=pizzamaking-20

It costs less than $9 and it makes a great stocking stuffer for friends that like to cook. It is fairly aggressive and I guess it would eat a knife down to nothing if used frequently, but I only use once or twice a year on each knife to restore the edge. Regular honing with a steel keeps the knives wicked sharp. 

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
The best knife in the house is an old Chicago Cutlery knife, I didn't bring any knives with me from the UK and had no clue what a good knife was, I'd always used the old standard knife sharpener but a wrong move can dull the blade more. I think you linked to will be on my Amazon list this Xmas, Bill.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:47:14 AM »
The one Bill posted is the one we use at a pizzeria I worked at. It works really well but since we used the knives so often we had to sharpen them a lot, probably 2 3 times a week.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »
i soft jaw a vice and clamp the handle in there.  then i follow the blade with bear dry stone followed by bear whetstone oiled.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline dms

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »
I'm just wondering what others here are using to sharpen their chef's knife?

If sharpening by hand, have you ever compared your results to a machine like the EdgeSelect 120?

Stones.  Mine are sharper than what comes out a chef's choice, and way sharper than an acu-sharp.  I don't really care what anyone else uses to sharpen their knives, as long as they *use something*.  I've sharpened lots of knives in other people's kitchens using the diamond file on my Leatherman. 

Offline petef

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 05:01:13 PM »
I hate a dull knife. Through the years I have owned all sorts of electric and fancy manual rigs. I even have one of the Chef's Choice models. And none have kept my knives as sharp as this one I have been using for a few years:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/?tag=pizzamaking-20

It costs less than $9 and it makes a great stocking stuffer for friends that like to cook. It is fairly aggressive and I guess it would eat a knife down to nothing if used frequently, but I only use once or twice a year on each knife to restore the edge. Regular honing with a steel keeps the knives wicked sharp. 

Bill I was initially a bit skeptical about your claims. How could a cheap $8 product outperform an expensive 3 stage power grinder? However, after reading dozens of the HUNDREDS of product reviews at the Amazon site you gave us, it's quite convincing that the simple inexpensive gadget you are using works like a charm. I have to see this for myself. I'll buy one and report back here. Thanks for posting!

---pete---

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 07:32:21 PM »
I owned a Accusharp, not my cup of tea. Perhaps I just didn't acquire the needed touch but no matter, I'm happy with a steel and an occasional pass with a goofy floppy ceramic wheel two stage Firestone sharpener. A steel is my best friend.
Don

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »
I'm a knifeHog too and have tried it all (inc the Chef's Choice 2 stage version and the one Bill linked to).
"By hand" is an art form few can pull off so that leaves devices.  The type Bill linked to can produce quite a sharp edge and are common and inexpensive.  The cons are the shortest life span, it will change your edge angle, and it is the most aggressive, so much so one can nick out the edge if it skips while applying pressure.  These are never used in professional kitchens for these reasons but under home frequency of use this can be a viable choice.  On the other end of the scale without going overboard is this type http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=ga10005.  I can get a very scary sharp edge with these and be as aggressive or gentle as needed, but the cons are there is more involved in their use and the higher cost.  Kitchen knives have the advantage of being edge maintainable and commonly this is all that is required.  This is what a steel is traditionally used for.  Most any device with fine abrasive fixed crossed rods can be substituted.  20-30 seconds before each use can keep an edge servicable for a surprisingly long time, years even with the right quality blade.
Now all this applies more or less as the "quality" of the blade changes i.e. steel, heat treat, and the angles the manufacturer chose and whether you changed them during sharpening.  It just depends how involved you want get in the process and these are about the best types at their price points IMHO.  Again just my opinion but I would hesitate to use the carbide type if I were a younger man and wanted that lifetime of use out of an expensive or high quality knife.  

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
I use the Chefs Choice Professional M130.  Its the best by far. My cutlery is razor sharp.

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
Accusharp FTW
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »
Something consider here is the type of steel you are using. Using many of those devices will actually hurt your knives, and also don't give you the option to set new angles to your knives. Many high end knives don't even come ready to cut. If you are using lower end knives though, and german type steel then its not a problem. If you have wustof, henckels, global, cutco or anything below that it's not a big deal.

I however would never run my SG-2 steel through something like that. I have a 3 stone progression plus a strop. Plus I hope people understand the difference between honing their knives and sharpening.

Jeff

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 04:46:55 PM »
Japanese water stones here, 500 grit through to 8000 (only used for my yanagi). I use a deburring felt block after each stone and finally strop on felt impregnanted with diamond slurry. If I'm feeling extra keen (pun intended) I'll also do a quick final leather/CrO strop. Can't get sharper or more lasting than this setup (albeit at the expense of time!).

I have several very expensive Japanese knives (incl. a Hattori KD-40) and wouldn't let a machine near them for love nor money. The single bevelled yanagi and deba are not amenable to sharpening devices such as the Chef's Choice in any instance.

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
Japanese water stones here, 500 grit through to 8000 (only used for my yanagi). I use a deburring felt block after each stone and finally strop on felt impregnanted with diamond slurry. If I'm feeling extra keen (pun intended) I'll also do a quick final leather/CrO strop. Can't get sharper or more lasting than this setup (albeit at the expense of time!).

I have several very expensive Japanese knives (incl. a Hattori KD-40) and wouldn't let a machine near them for love nor money. The single bevelled yanagi and deba are not amenable to sharpening devices such as the Chef's Choice in any instance.
My knives are just plain old JA Henckels and the Chefs Choice does an awesome job on them.  Maybe one size doesnt fit all, but for most people this is a great product and MUCH easier than manually honing knives.

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
JA Henckels here too, and I just use the supplied steel every couple weeks and have taken my most-used knives out for professional sharpening, only twice in 25 years. 

I use diamond plates and Japanese water stones on the chisels and planes in my woodshop, but I've never had the guts to try to sharpen the curved edges of my kitchen knives. 

Okay, here's a question no one's been able to answer for me, and I've been asking for years:  All of the steels I've seen for woodworkers are superhard, polished steel.  All of the steels for kitchen knives I've seen are all diamond-coated.  Why the difference?   ???
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »

Okay, here's a question no one's been able to answer for me, and I've been asking for years:  All of the steels I've seen for woodworkers are superhard, polished steel.  All of the steels for kitchen knives I've seen are all diamond-coated.  Why the difference?   ???
Marketing and/or lower manufacturing costs.  A steel should be just a you described for your woodworking tools:  Smooth and made out of a material harder than what you are going to use it on.  Sounds simple, but a steel made out of 62-63HRC steel can run over $50 and be a bit difficult to find.  So these "kitchen" steels are diamond coated in an attempt to provide that hardness that the actual steel they are made out of is lacking, plus it sounds good, and they are less expensive.  A steel should also not be abrasive and I wonder about that with diamond coatings.  Who knows though, on a soft enough blade maybe they work some, but these are basically just drawer fillers.
Henckels tend to run in the 54-56HRC range so using you woodworking steels on them should make very short work of this task as they are prob high quality and hard.  But you are right on in that keeping after your kitchen knives by steeling for a few seconds with every use can prolong the need for sharpening for a very long time.
Oh, and those grooved steels are junk too.

Offline breadman_nz

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
Steels are useful only for realigning a rolled edge. Depending on how hard the steel of the blade is, it won't roll, it will simply wear, necessitating another trip to the stones (or your preferred method).

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 08:04:22 PM »
Thanks PizzaHog.  What you wrote makes sense except for one thing; diamond-coated sharpening steels for the kitchen generally cost more than polished steels for the woodshop.   ??? ???  The "marketing" thing probably makes more sense...
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 11:30:36 AM »
Steels are useful only for realigning a rolled edge. Depending on how hard the steel of the blade is, it won't roll, it will simply wear, necessitating another trip to the stones (or your preferred method).
Agreed, which is why the proper use of a steel on common western softish kitchen blades is so beneficial.  High end Japanese blades are in a whole 'nother ball park.
Thanks PizzaHog.  What you wrote makes sense except for one thing; diamond-coated sharpening steels for the kitchen generally cost more than polished steels for the woodshop.   ??? ???  The "marketing" thing probably makes more sense...
Yea, I may have missed the boat some as I now see these diamond coated steels can go from $20 to over $50.  So marketing makes sense since there is no advantage to diamond coatings or abrasives on a steel.