Author Topic: Smoked Tomatoes?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline bushml

• I Love Pizza!
Smoked Tomatoes?
« on: June 12, 2005, 06:28:04 PM »
Greetings to all on the list,

Is anyone aware of where I might purchase smoked tomatoes to use as a topping for my grilled pizza? I saw a show on Food Network and while in Italy the moderator spoke of the distinctive flavor of smoked tomatoes as a topping. I hope to find them somewhere here in the United States, but so far have had little luck searching the Internet.

I am new to the forum but have enjoyed all the information I have read so far.

Mike B

Nancy

Re: Smoked Tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 10:51:26 AM »
I don't know where you could get them, but you could always put some regular in the fridge overnight with some liquid smoke added.  That should get you the flavor you are looking for...

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 04:30:37 PM »
This is a good idea.  I have smoked tomatos and onions for a bbq sauce before but didn't think to try them on pizza.  I've also smoked portobello mushrooms for a soup that my wife won first place with at the annual mushroom festival in kennett square pa.  If you ever see the Mushroom festival on "All American Food Festival" on the food network, you'll see us.
Anyway, i have a weber smoker.  Its electric and chincy but it works well.  If you didn't have a smoker, you could always wrap some wood chips in some aluminum foil and toss it on the bottom of your grill.  That works too.  I usually cut my tomatos in half and place them on the cold side of the grill and keep the chips on the hot side.  I gave my tomatos about 30 min. of heavy smoke.  Carefull cause they tend to get soft and weepy, but they will have a great smoked flavor.
good luck.

Offline bcoots76

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 01:15:52 PM »
You could probaly smoke your own tomatoes on your grill. I would put a drip pan in the middle of the grill and surround the outside of the grill will with hickory chips. The drip pan should keep the tomatoes from drying out.  I would also cook at a very low temperature to help with that. I would poke some holes in the tomatoes with a fork to allow the smoke to go through the tomatoe.  I've never tried this but don't know why it wouldn't work. I've smoked many different kinds of meat but never tomatoes. The smoked idea sounds like a good one. I might have to give it a try. If I do, I will be sure to let you know.