Author Topic: 41" low dome WFO build  (Read 20816 times)

Offline shuboyje

Re: 41" low dome WFO build
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 05:45:42 PM »
My opinion of the cajun style burner and it's use in LBE's is that it is like using dynamite to open your front door.  It works due to brute force, but is not the ideal or elegant solution.  I mean honestly using a burner with the same btu rating as your home furnace to cook a single 12" pizza in an oven that has about 20 pounds of thermal mass to heat is massive overkill, especially when it still cannot produce a 1 minute pizza.  I'm not knocking the eggs, I've stated recently in that thread how cool I think they are and how much I love the constant tinkering the builders do, but to me they are more of an upgrade from a home oven then a full on wood fired brick oven replacement, and I think most or their users would agree.  What I was proposing is an very small but traditionally build fully insulated black oven that has a small burner similar to the drago in it in place of a wood fire.  I actually like the idea so much I just may undertake it for a portable oven once my full size oven is done, lol. 

And just for clarification I love this type of conversation.  Nothing anybody says will offend me and I certainly do not intend to offend anyone else.  Intelligent debate is great for innovation, and I for one am always more then happy to be proven wrong if it means learning something new.  Sometimes I give off the wrong tone and people think I'm being argumentative so I wanted to put this out in the open, lol. 
I saw those also.  Several big name oven builders use them for "additional heat" or "additional heat on demand"  But the ovens that people  are building with the conventional 'cajun burner' or turkey fryer burner, are building them only slightly larger that the pizza they want to cook already.  I see the benefit in a larger scale build.  But dam, it is going to take alot of propane...
-Jeff

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2011, 06:34:28 PM »
... but it has nothing to do with the ability of the air to "hold" water.
CL

I have a friend that shreads textiles and sells them for oil rags.  They have found over the years, that slighlty moist textiles cut and shread better than dry ones.  It also applies when he bales the final product into 500# bales.  He brings the raw textiles in at about 7% moisture and shreads them at 12% moisture.  He likes to bale them at 14% moisture, it makes the press pump work less hard.  He uses an industrial humidification unit (a 5 million btu burner with the flame being sucked through a water spray)  He tells me that running the burner 100 degrees hotter will raise the percentage of the final humidity of the textiles by 5%.  So, I just figured hotter air can hold more water. ???
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »
He tells me that running the burner 100 degrees hotter will raise the percentage of the final humidity of the textiles by 5%.  So, I just figured hotter air can hold more water. ???

Yes, there will be more water in the air in this situation, but again, it is about energy. Increasing the energy (heat) in the water increases the vapor pressure of the water vapor and thus the amount of water vapor in the air. It doesn't do anything to change they physics of the gases that make up air. The oxygen and nitrogen that make up the majority of air have no more ability to hold water than water vapor has to hold oxygen and nitrogen. The merely share the same space.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »
shuboyje
radiation from the coals(which is a hugely overlooked heat source IMHO),

I think you are "right on" with this comment.  The heat flow for radiation is a function of the Temperature (in Kelvin) raised to the 4th power (as in squared, squared).  Rule of thumb, if the coals are 2x the dome temperature, they should radiate about 16x the heat.  This ignores the constant 273 degree adder to convert to Kelvin for both cases, but I still think it supports your point.

Good point comparing the bayou burner to a home furnace.  But love is blind, and when I first saw Villa Roma's youtube video and heard that burner roaring like a 747 during takeoff, I was in love.

Like you, I'm a fan of putting a spotlight on improvements.

Dave

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
Before I test the new refractory roof today, I added a piece of stainless to the front of the oven to cover the bricks and insulation.  It looks much better....

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »
The firebrick walls cleared in about 2.5 hours.  I think the refractory helped alot.  I cooked all 6 dough balls, 3 with the rest during mixing and 3 with the straight "add the flour" over the course of 10 minutes mixing.  Caputo Pizzeria, 61% hydration, .2% ADY. 8 hours bulk room temp, balled and refered 16 hours, 4 hour warmup.  They look much better than the last cook.  I gave the best looking one (last picture) to the neighbor.  She rated it above the Grimaldi's chain restaurant. :-D  And I did use the Luigi's sauce formulation that Essen1 and Peter are working on...  The first two pictures show the difference between flame and no flame in my oven.
I had trouble getting them off the sheet that I proofed them on, and my placing technique still sucks.  I absolutely love Muenster cheese on these pizzas, I am going to stop using the Oaxaca for awhile.  Thanks for looking. :chef:

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
Those pizzas look great! Is that a hole in the first one? >:D I hate when that happens. :-D

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Those pizzas look great! Is that a hole in the first one? >:D I hate when that happens. :-D

Good eye Steve, yes burned a hole right through it.  And one more pizza from the same bake I forgot to post a picture of.  Thanks for everyone's help on the forum, without it, who knows what my pizzas might still look like. :-D

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:43 AM »
All but one pizza has nice color.was the second pizza cooked without the flame? Nice looking pizzas. The sauce you mention can you leed me to the thread?

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »
Great looking pies Gene. Been there done that with the pie hole. Next time, slide the piece of ham over a little and nobody will ever know.  ;)

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2011, 10:10:41 AM »
All but one pizza has nice color.was the second pizza cooked without the flame? Nice looking pizzas. The sauce you mention can you leed me to the thread?

Thank you.  Yes, no flame on the second pizza.  Here is the link to the Luigi's clone sause that Essen1 and Peter are working on. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg154647.html#msg154647

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2011, 10:13:33 AM »
Great looking pies Gene. Been there done that with the pie hole. Next time, slide the piece of ham over a little and nobody will ever know.  ;)

CL

Thanks Craig, checks in the mail. :-D