Author Topic: NY sauce questions  (Read 1088 times)

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
NY sauce questions
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
I was home in Pittsburgh where I was able to purchase sauce from my favorite pizza joint, Aiellos.  What I found remarkable was several things, most notably how heavy the sauce tasted of oregano.  Is it fairly typical of NY style sauces to be fairly thick (not pasty, mind you) and heavy on the oregano?  It tasted fine in the pies I made, but wouldn't have if I were heating it up and tossing it on pasta.

Online scott123

Re: NY sauce questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:19:31 PM »
Oregano quantities tend to vary pretty substantially from place to place. Of the two legendary pizzerias in my area, one is heavy handed, the other light.

Personally, I feel that the primary flavor that should hit you when you taste a sauce should be tomato, not oregano (or anything else).  The tomato is the star, everything else is a bit player.

As far as consistency goes, I usually add some water to my puree, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were pizzerias using puree straight.  As long as it's a quality puree that's still brightly colored/flavored with minimal cooking, it should still make a good pie.

And, although a good pasta sauce, can, in a pinch, work on pizza,  a good pizza sauce is usually inedible on pasta.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
Scott is 100% correct and has helped me in my sauce search.The one factor is the sweet tomato taste,followed by oregano.Also,Pizza sauce will not taste that good on pasta.I have tried it in different mixes and it never works well there.

Being from NY myself,having eating many NY pies,many times,the sauce taste and smell could fluctuate daily by who was mixing it there or prepped it before it opened the next day.

I would get light and sometimes heavy oregano tasting sauce on my pizzas at times.Usually,it wasn't enough to make me care...but sometimes it was bit too much,since its a strong spice.

What I love the most,the tomato-y taste of the sauce when done right.That is the key...the oregano,garlic or whatever you might add should help to enhance,not overpower.
 :)

-Bill

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »
I can't imagine putting garlic in my pizza sauce unless it is a marinara.  It just doesn't seem right, even if I have garlic as an ingredient on the pie.  Oregano, sugar, salt, and basil as a base, with clove and red and black pepper.

Somebody from NYC send me some NYC sauce so I can try it, because the NYC slice style joints around here have sauce that tastes like mine (or mine tastes like theirs, but I was making it before I tasted theirs).

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:54:51 AM »
I can't imagine putting garlic in my pizza sauce unless it is a marinara.  It just doesn't seem right, even if I have garlic as an ingredient on the pie.  Oregano, sugar, salt, and basil as a base, with clove and red and black pepper.

Somebody from NYC send me some NYC sauce so I can try it, because the NYC slice style joints around here have sauce that tastes like mine (or mine tastes like theirs, but I was making it before I tasted theirs).

If you posted the above because I mentioned garlic,I was being suggestive of whatever that person might be using to their liking.Not saying all NY places use it.I have eaten at places that have added garlic to their sauces but it was not a empowering amount that I could ever tell anyways.I tasted it,but it was not usually until I asked,that they told me what they used.

A few places I have eaten at,had a very strong onion flavor from too much of it as well.Was rare but depended on the pizza place ya went to.
 :-D

-Bill