Author Topic: 5 Steps to Opening a Pizzeria  (Read 2048 times)

Offline BTB

5 Steps to Opening a Pizzeria
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
This probably could apply to many other categories here, too.

In recent years since I got into pizzamaking -- primarily through this great website -- so many people and  test tasters of my home-made pizza products have said that I should open up a pizzeria and that it would be a great, great success.  I take all those complements somewhat with a grain of salt, but I do harbor a thought that my pizzas -- both Chicago Style deep dish and Chicago Style thin crusts (which gets little recognition compared to the deep dish in the national popular media) -- would indeed be greatly accepted out there on the free market-place of delicious pizzas.  But I'm not going to be delusional about it, as there would be a lot of work involved with it these days, esp. with the advent of the following.

Right now in Pizzaville America, artisan or Neapolitan style pizzas with wood burning or coal fired ovens are the rage of the nation.  And I love a good pizza of that style from time to time, but it is not my first love or what I see as a great tasting pizza product compared to what I've experienced (see Pizza Cognition Theory).  Everything comes and goes in cycles and that's how I think this current Neapolitan popularity will go also. I love the old style deck ovens.  When I talk to many lovers of Spacca Napoli or Great Lakes in Chicago (artisan/Neapolitan styles), I learned that 90% of them are "out of stater's" who have no history or experience in the great neighborhood Chicago Style pizzas or are from the wheat fields of . . . . (I better not say).  But they get front stage exposure in the media and popular press to express their great pizza knowledge and experience.  I'd like to say that sucks, but I have to honestly realize that . . . to each his own.

But to those who may consider embarking upon such an adventure (starting a new pizzeria), I wish you the best of luck, please realize that it will involve a lot of hard work, and expect the unexpected and miscellaneous expenses as well.  And for those pursuing the artisan/Neapolitan route (wood/coal oven), I especially wish the best of luck as I think it is a somewhat temporary phenomenon in their popularity, but they will always have their following.  You will have to judge whether that will be large or small (as Clint said "do you feel lucky?"). 

As for fads, many remember just a small handful of years ago that the Uno's Chicago Grill pizza places were the rage of the nation and now today . . . bankrupt.  And the many great other places . . . Roundtable, Shakey's, etc.  Gone, but to many . . . not forgotten.

And to beat out the humongous pizza chains that have destroyed most of America's great Mom and Pop pizzerias, you must first have a superior product and then the moxie to beat them at their own game.  Not an easy task, tho. 

But in any event, for those who may be interested, here is a nice basic primer or article entitled
5 Steps to Opening a Pizzeria
http://www.openforum.com/idea-hub/topics/innovation/article/5-steps-to-opening-a-pizzeria-carey-jones
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:25:39 AM by BTB »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: 5 Steps to Opening a Pizzeria
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:01:08 AM »
5 bucks for a single topping large is the state of the pizza market.  Better sell atmosphere and beer is all I can say.

Offline carbon

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »
A guy with absolutely no pizza experience opened up a joint next door to our business in a mini mall less than a year ago.  He showed me his kitchen before he opened....a 60 qt mixer, a sheeter, electric ovens, etc...  nice set up.
He cranks out absolutely horrible $5 pepperoni pizzas using canned sauce from Smart & Final and cheapest ingredients he can find.  They sell like hotcakes.  He's seems to be doing well even with 2 pizza franchises within walking distance from his shop.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »
A guy with absolutely no pizza experience opened up a joint next door to our business in a mini mall less than a year ago.  He showed me his kitchen before he opened....a 60 qt mixer, a sheeter, electric ovens, etc...  nice set up.
He cranks out absolutely horrible $5 pepperoni pizzas using canned sauce from Smart & Final and cheapest ingredients he can find.  They sell like hotcakes.  He's seems to be doing well even with 2 pizza franchises within walking distance from his shop.

I have said this myself,the masses out there will eat almost anything cheap and fast.

Kids today are brought up More on fast food chains and not mom and pop places like many of us were.That guy was or is in the right place at the right time...and has enough people to eat his garbage he cranks out to keep him open and turn a profit.

But ya know what,from a Business stand point,More power to HIM! But from a Pizza lover's stand point,ew!

There was a Pizza place in Indianapolis,IN that made the worst,most fake,disgusting pizza I ever seen or walked out on.Yet they stay in Business.Did you ever have that frozen square pizza they served in elementary school or at fairgrounds while growing up,that were super soft and nasty?Thats what they sold or something just like it.The market? Parents with kids...worse than chuck e cheese and still sold enough of that stuff to stay in business for years.

I cannot honestly criticize them from a Business perspective.Profits is KEY,but since most folks still eat burgers and fries from fast food chains everyday,what can you really say about the food quality anymore?
If it sells,oh well!

:-D

-Bill

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »
great article BTB!!  a dream of mine oneday....but i know i am not as good as you are!!  i hope you dont live in my town!!!  i think superior product will get the word out.  convenience is what drives people to buy so much crappy food i think.  so location is also key.  i can bet your place would be rockiin to go get a pizza in.  we have a family friend who runs a drive in in chicago, been in the family since the 40s i think.  beef sandwhiches, burgers, tamale boat!!! anyhow, they sure work hard....its not easy.  they have had a wonderful life though!  and done good to boot!  maybe i should open a pizza in a cup place??? hmmmm...

from "The Jerk"
Marie: You live here? Oh, it's nice. Did you decorate it?
Navin R. Johnson: Yeah, I got all this stuff from the old Cup 'o Pizza place before they tore it down.
Marie: Good pizza.
[the two are eating pizza in a cup]
Navin R. Johnson: Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business. People come from all over to eat this.

pizzapan