Author Topic: make at home to serve at a friend's house?  (Read 989 times)

Offline dmaxdmax

make at home to serve at a friend's house?
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
Every 6 weeks or so my family gets together with another for pizza.  We can't do it at our house because of pet allergies so I can't show off my goods and we're left with admittedly pretty good takeout.  I can't invite myself 3 hours ahead with dough balls so how can I make it here for eating there?  I don't want to fool with bringing room-temp balls and stretching them on-site since it's just too much work and will interfere with hanging-out time.

They have a std electric oven w/a pizza stone.  Solutions I've dreamed up include:

Prebake plain skins just enough to set.  Dress and finish baking on-site.

Partially bake dressed pies here and finish on-site.

Bake here and reheat on-site.

Thank you!
Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: make at home to serve at a friend's house?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:19:36 PM »
Dave,

Those are all possibilities. Another is to make a take-and-bake version of your pizzas and bake them at the final destination.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
I am working along these lines myself.  My current plan is to form the skin from my normal cold dough, freeze it, apply very cold sauce, then cold toppings, and freeze it quickly.  I will then cook it at destination.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
I am working along these lines myself.  My current plan is to form the skin from my normal cold dough, freeze it, apply very cold sauce, then cold toppings, and freeze it quickly.  I will then cook it at destination.

Tom,

What you are proposing to do is discussed in the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3997.msg33378.html#msg33378. I haven't done much with freezing entire pizzas so I don't have a good feel for the probable results. I do remember, however, trying to bake a frozen unbaked pizza that I had made directly on an oven rack. As the pizza started to bake, the dough drooped into the openings of the oven rack. That ended that experiment.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »
I would do it on a pan for at least half the bake, but par-baking may help as well.

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:03:39 PM »
Pete-zza - I'd love to do a take-and-bake version but I've never tried one and I'm not going to make this a test run.

My current plan is to assemble and bake Friday afternoon for reheating at their place.  Reinhart's NYStyle recipe says for extra "snap" you can let the pizza cool completely and reheat for 2 minutes just before serving.  I've done this for 45 minutes but I doubt that 2-3 hours would be much different.  I don't imagine it would go bad in that time and I can't decide if I'd rather hear horror stories about this or not.  Ignorance is bliss or in the case of endangering others I'd like to maintain plausible deniability.

Dave

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »
Dave,

One of the good things about the Reinhart NY style dough is that it contains a fair amount of oil and sugar. Those ingredients should keep the crumb moist and slow down the staling process. In those respects, the Reinhart dough is like an American style dough, like a Papa John's dough. The slices of a Papa John's pizza reheat nicely, without drying out excessively.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »
When I reheat my leftovers, it is almost as though from fresh, BUT I only reheat in the WFO or kitchen oven at around 350-400 or use a 1400 degree heatgun, so your experience may differ  (and I reheat directly on the racks in the oven and on the floor in the WFO).

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:44 PM »
I've never been too happy with my stuff after a night in the fridge.  I don't know if it's the process of going from hot to cold to hot that's the killer or if it has more to do with the age.  Probably some of both.  If I get particularly great or rotten results I'll report back.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:14 AM »
dmaxdmax,

I also experimented with making a Take and Bake pizza a few times, but didnít use the same formula as you are using.  If you are interested in seeing what happened with my take and bakes there is one at Reply 344 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg93320.html#msg93320 and another at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg93959.html#msg93959
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg94037.html#msg94037 and here is where I did a parbake for a take and bake at Reply 392 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg95103.html#msg95103

I got some good results with the last Take and Bake, but couldnít get the sauce to taste the same when reheating the pizza. The pizza itself still tasted good.

Best of luck to you in trying a Take and Bake.  I will be looking forward to your results.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!