Author Topic: As close to perfection as I have come so far  (Read 14064 times)

Offline f.montoya

Re: As close to perfection as I have come so far
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2013, 04:03:12 AM »
The only negative thing I can think of to say is...Your plate is too BIG! Open your wallet and get some 12'' plates, will ya Craig?!

Nah, just kidding. That pie looks mighty soft and I can almost smell it. Beautiful!!

BTW, is there any reason you decided to go with 61% Hydration this time? I'm wondering whether to go up or down on my next batch.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:01:32 AM by f.montoya »

Offline kramer73

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2013, 05:52:24 AM »
that looks really great Craig!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »
Craig,

All your pies look amazing!  :drool: 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »
Craig,

All your pies look amazing!  :drool: 

Norma

^^^

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »
The only negative thing I can think of to say is...Your plate is too BIG! Open your wallet and get some 12'' plates, will ya Craig?!

Nah, just kidding. That pie looks mighty soft and I can almost smell it. Beautiful!!

BTW, is there any reason you decided to go with 61% Hydration this time? I'm wondering whether to go up or down on my next batch.

I like my 13" plates. Larger pies work well for they way we serve and eat them. They are more challenging too.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2013, 09:11:29 AM »

I've been bouncing around between 61-62% lately. No reason other than trying to decide what I like best. With all the other factors that affect dough handling, there are so many different combinations to try.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
I've been bouncing around between 61-62% lately. No reason other than trying to decide what I like best. With all the other factors that affect dough handling, there are so many different combinations to try.

As the weather has gotten warmer, it seems that my 65% were becoming droopy(for lack of better dough terminology) much earlier than my 60% on the day of a bake. I finally settled on 61% for the recent outdoor temps we're having here in Japan and it has bought me a bit more time, with most other factors remaining the same, before the balls become too soft to work with...well for at least my experience level to this point. For myself, I haven't noticed any other factors that have affected dough handling in any "noticeable" way, other than time spent in cooler or warmer conditions. So that said, I have a couple of questions for you Craig...

Let's say 5 of us here on the boards use the exact same recipe & ingredients for the exact same amount of dough. Let's also say that we all agree to bulk or ball ferment for the same duration and at roughly the same temps. What might cause us to see different results in dough handling and how pronounced are their affects? What other factors affect dough handling and how might someone like me(new guy to NP dough) learn to notice them?

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2013, 11:38:54 AM »
I was pretty happy with this pie. The fresh garlic and oregano really goes well with the soppressata. About a 50 second bake, and just as tender as you could ever ask for. 61%HR, 48 hours at 64F. Ischia culture.

Craig,

How is the 48 hours divided up?

Thanks,

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2013, 12:48:32 PM »
Craig,

How is the 48 hours divided up?

Thanks,

John K

24+24
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »
Had the pies I baked last night been made with buffalo mozz rather than the BelGioioso, they might have been the best pizza I ever made.

Bake time ~35 seconds.

More here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14249.msg334945#msg334945
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:14:03 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2014, 05:24:22 PM »
I'm running out of adjectives.  That looks ridiculous.

[Edit - I'm not sure if it'll be apparent to everyone that that's a complement of the highest order.]
I donít believe in many things, but I do believe in duct tape.

http://instagram.com/dylandylandylan
http://www.pinterest.com/pizzalife/nailing-it/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2014, 05:31:46 PM »
I'm running out of adjectives.  That looks ridiculous.

[Edit - I'm not sure if it'll be apparent to everyone that that's a complement of the highest order.]

Exactly how I took it. Thank you.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
Had the pies I baked last night been made with buffalo mozz rather than the BelGioioso, they might have been the best pizza I ever made.

Bake time ~35 seconds.

More here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14249.msg334945#msg334945

Just when you feel your getting the hang of things ...the master pulls a fast one and your back to square one...  I feel our only hope is to get a hold of his wood supplier and start sending him wet swamp wood.... And my wife looks at me like I'm crazy when i i look at my pies...and say... yea...there ok... :-D i feel for you brother..   ;D

again: [Edit - I'm not sure if it'll be apparent to everyone that that's a complement of the highest order.] :-D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:32:10 PM by vandev »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »
I feel our only hope is to get a hold of his wood supplier and start sending him wet swamp wood....

Let me introduce you to my wood supplier: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14633.0
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
Let me introduce you to my wood supplier: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14633.0

You see Dylan... absolutely no fear......  What are we suppose to do now.... :o Im taking a week off..  just to much pressure.... ;D