Author Topic: my latest pizza  (Read 35283 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: my latest pizza
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
Micheal, I don't think your crust is too dark.  I like it.  I agree you should cook the cheese a bit more though.  Nice job.

chau

Pizza01

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 02:39:27 AM »
if the cheeze was outside instead of fridg cooling it was cooked more. me too chau, but here poeple like less.
next time i will not turn the pie 180 so it would be darker just one side :-)

Pizza01

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
made pizza today
70% bread flour
30% 00 flour ( the one i used in reply 17 page 1 on this thread)
25 gram fresh yeast
60% water (43 cl degree)
2 tsp sugar
0.6 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil
after dissoving the yeast in water and let it rest 15 minutes with the sugar, i added to the flour, mixed it 30 sec the added the salt mix another 30 sec, then added the oil and the rest of the flour until window panning.
i leted the dough rest for another 5 minutes in a bowl, reshaped it with the bread flour by hand into ball.
sauce:
chopped tomatoes with no flouids, olive oil, 2 tbs tomatoes paste, salt, peper, moscat nut. < no cooking! used fresh.
topping
half pizza: tuna in vegetable oil from a cann under the cheeze ( this way it wont get dry), green peper.
the other half: greek black big olives
on after all champignon and portabelo fresh mushrooms.
cheeze: 40 gram hard dry mozzarela for pizza, 30 gram parmesan, 150 gram scandinavian cheeze with holes.
i wanted to try difrent mode of baking so i put the stone on the higher rack of the and turn on the grill from above, the stone was 3 inch from the red grill on the highest temp, but after 15 minutes i decided i will try that another day.
i change this time the yeast from idy to fresh cubes and change 30% ov the flour, this change belong to another experiment. so i lower the stone even lower then last times, to lowest rack and turn on the cycle mode and heat from below like i have been doing for the last pies.
turns out this is the best. the crust had very good color and the pie had crispy texture fro the bottem.
i will not use this 00 flour again and that this i mean it. it add a litel dry taste to the crust and dough. it cant absorb water like the bread flour and it come out to surface in the taste also.
about using fresh yeast instead of idy, i dont see any difference, no one noticed.  im going back to idy.
and as you can see the crust dident had almost any rise at all. 
so wanted to ask you what do you think, i want more spring in my pies, i think it would have professional texture with air holes. what to do? add more yeast ? i use fresh dough almost every time, the fermented time i do is between 80-180 minutes. how to get them ? i read about it in the forum, but i couldent understand the secret of having them.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:03:15 PM by msheetrit »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
Hey Buddy,

I still think your pies look GREAT! In fact,even if you do not have a lot of spring to the crust rim or etc,it looks on par with so many NY style pizzas I have had in the past.

I would suggest you make some more test doughs,to save money and time too,so you don't waste too much toppings and etc.Test doughs are made to not to always eat but to observe and see how they turn out.

Try proofing a few test dough balls for different time lengths and fridge rise.See which one you really prefer and might give you more bubbles and spring you are looking for.As a beginner,I am doing this myself and noting which mixes and fridge rise and etc gives me the best results.

Even Varasano himself said he made hundreds of doughs before he found the ones he was happiest with.
He made nothing but dough and kept experimenting.You do not have to go to that many lengths,since you make nice pies now,But its something to think about doing before wasting money on expensive cheese and toppings,and then not being happy with the pizza when its done.

A few of my tests pizzas,I bought cheap tomato sauce and cheap mozz cheese top top it off.I wanted to see how the dough would turn out when it becomes a crust in the oven.I would cut off the crust rim and eat that instead and see how I liked it after it was cooked.

You can also try to make a larger rim before baking.That will sometimes give you the rim rise you are looking for and that airy bite somewhat.

:)
-Bill

Pizza01

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
thanks very much bill. i will do that.  :)

Pizza01

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
if i want to convert 1 tsp of idy to gram, how much it weight?
1tsp idy = ? gram
i have to buy d.scale.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
if i want to convert 1 tsp of idy to gram, how much it weight?
1tsp idy = ? gram
i have to buy d.scale.

On my scale, 1 tsp of IDY = about 3gm.  I use this approximation and then just watch the dough.  Keep notes for next time.

Chau

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
1/8tsp=.4g...atleast that what the back of the packet says...who really knows?  I do find yeast sometimes the hardest to measure especially if your scale doest breakdown into tenth or hundredths like mine, lame!

Pizza01

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2011, 12:46:34 PM »
thanks guys.
so i need to buy a scale that breakdown into tenth or hundredths
i plan to buy 20 $ scale

Pizza01

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 11:23:47 PM »
as i have been posting here i made dough by cold fermenting which in general i dont do, i tend to stick on fresh dough, 80 minutes rise.
this dough was outside for 5 hours, then 12 hours in the fridge, 2 hours outside then reshaped in into balls and another 2 hours total 21 hours.
100% bread flour
76% water
0.75 fresh yeast
salt
sugar
olive oil
3 pies size of 9"
first one with red peper on top, second with tuna from a cann, third peper and tomatoes.
cheeze was a mixture of cheder, mozzarela and parmesan.
the sauce i made my self from just tomatoes, salt, peper, litel bit olibe oil and sugar cooked for 6 hours on low flame until i got the texture i wanted. and after 6 hours in the fridge. ( later i will post thread about the sauce making with photos)

Pizza01

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »
bought bunch of stuff for pizza making
digital scale, it start from 1 gram. its ok for me now. it cost about 25$
large and medium stainless steel bowls, pizza tray,  large plastic boxes, plastic card to scope and scrape the dough and devide into ball. grater at the size of 4 cm :) for garlic, measuring jug for water and 4.5 liter glass jur for storing 2.5 flour.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:45:22 PM by msheetrit »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 08:59:26 AM »
HI, Like you I started buyin "pizza Gear"  and could not stop ! My wife thought I had lost it differnt bickets and Pans coming in the mail every day! Then even cheese from Penn mac my first 5 lb bag I got a real look for that  ??? I was hooked !  Great thread and som great looking pies . I did not see anywhere (maybe missed it) what type of mixer you are using. Keep posting!
John
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:01:15 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Pizza01

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
its funny you bring the mixer subject now, i was just planing to write about it after what happened today.
so, yesterday i learned on my flash for the first time what is the meaning " the more learn the less you know" i thinked i knew, but after reading 5 hours in the forum many topics and thread i realise i havent knew anything at all.
i dont have mixer, i have food proccesor with dough plastic padle that spin on the centre of it.
so the basic of my dough development was wrong from the start, thats why i threw a way today dough that was fermenting since last night. and made new using the right amount and the procces to develop dough.
understanding the dough that was it.
all the pizzas that i have been posting were diferent from one to another because i dident understand the basics. and every time somthing happened i dident knew why the dough is diferent every time for the best or for the wrost.
when i have food proccesor with dough paddle that spin on its centre it is not a mixer, so the procces should be diferent and should be finished by hand kneading.
and when i dident had scale to weight stuff the formula was not accurate. for example.
if i put in the mixture 100% flour, 70% water, and after its done i want to reball it and put a litel flour and more litel and more litel and it come to half cup of flour then its not 70% water and what it does to the furmola?... it changes thing, everything from the amount salt to the amount yeast.

so from now on everything is with right amount on the scale by the gram.
first basic fact: since i dont have mixer i needed to put half cup of flour from the amount that gows into the dough a side from the mixture and when every was ready with the yeast, water, flour and every thing mixed toghter that is when my job started.
i poured every thing into large stainless steel bowl and kneaded by hand for almost 10 minutes the dough adding almost every 10 seconds 1 tsp from the rest of the flour that was left a side in a cup.
and thats it! the dough development was perfect. first time i knew what i was doing.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:28:53 PM by msheetrit »

Pizza01

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
today pizza using a scale for formula and 10 minute kneading the dough by hand after mixing it in the food proccesor.
bread flour (100%)       | 500 gr  | 16.9   oz    |  1.10 lbs
water (60%)                | 300 gr  | 10.14 oz    |  0.66 lbs
c.yeast (2%)                | 10 gr   |  0.33  oz    |  0.02 lbs
sugar (6%)                  | 30 gr    | 1.01  oz     | 0.06 lbs
sea salt (1.2%)            | 6 gr     |  0.20  oz    |  0.01 lbs
olive oil  (0.4%)           | 2 gr     |   0.06  oz   |  0.00 lbs      0.5 tsp
total  (169.6%)            |848 gr   |  28.67 oz   |  1.86 lbs
puted the 450 gr flour into the bowl, dissolved the yeast in warm water (43cl, cup water from the whole amount)
added the yeast to the dough, the rest of the water and sugar, after 30 sec the salt and oil mixed togther ant let it rest 5 minutes. poured into bowl kneaded by hand and the rest of the flour. let the dough rest in oiled bowl covered with neylon for 1 hour. devided the dough into tow balls. making the ball using jackie tran method after seeing in hes you tube video traping the air inside. leted the dough rest and rise for another hour. preheat the like every time i do. uper a bit the stone from lowest rack to one above.
made the skin and this time with extra care not touching the rim, could realy feel the air pushing into the rim. with palm of my hand not with the fingers tips. using the minimum flour bench as i learen from reading bill sfnm on slice and after my wife said why there is white flour all over the crust the last pie i made.
making the skin took very long time because i did it very slow i wanted even skin with beautiful crumb. understanding the basic and learning them is more importent for me now then every thing. my marble is not very easy to work and open dough on it so i transfer the skin onto floured baking paper which i found it very cool to use to rotate the skin while streching the skin close to the rim expending its size to 140% and getting the skin i was aiming for.
puted the sauce evenly on it, you can see the sauce i made using only fresh ingridians and nothing from a cann here
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12820.0.html
then tuna from a cann drain the oil, on it spreaded lots of cheder cheeze and mozz. my wife is right about tuna under cheeze is much better it doesent dry out.
first pie: half green olives, fresh mushrooms
second pie: mushrooms, tomatoes, and sweet corn from a cann.
i tried to absorb as much as i can liquids from toppin before puting them by puting them on paper towel.
and here are the pictures.
best pizza i ever made no doubt this time, whole family agreed with me.
the first one with the olive was better, the second one was litet overcooked and the balance between cheeze and crust has vailted because the cheeze was in the fridge between making the second after the first.
so, because i wanted to cook the cheeze more the crust and bottem wat litel overcooked. i had no idea what difrence 10 minute in the fridge will do to cheeze. well... allways learning.
the first pizza was amazing. and lots of bubles in both of them :) just like we love, crust flofy and soft not chewy, bottem litel bit creaspy, just a litel bit.
i want to thank all of you special poeple that make this forum what it is.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:30:30 PM by msheetrit »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »
Michael,

Great looking pizzas!  ;D  You really did a good job.  I really like your nice airy crust.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 06:57:29 PM »
You are now a certified addict.  Congrats!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 11:22:18 PM »
Wow those look great! I love the look and color of the rim rise,the nice brown on the outside of the rim and bottom of the slices.

Great Job!
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »
Excellent looking pizza.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Pizza01

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
thank you everybody for all your good words. :D

ill think i try to lower to sugar 3% and if it will go ok then the plan is more 1% with good color dough, that is what i want to get, low sugar.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:47:38 PM by msheetrit »

Pizza01

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
100% flour
60% water
1.2 % salt
1% sugar
0.085% cake yeast
2% oil
made tow pizza's,
the dough was fermented at room temp at 19-22 cl degrees, for 17 hours and then made tow balls from it, each ball  450 gram. the balls rested for another 4 hours total 21 hours.
i want to thank member forum dellavecchia for his clone of keste pizza dough and for all his help.
john, thank you very much :).
the pizza was great, best i ever made, every thing was perfect. flofy crust very tasty perfect color.
one thing that was missimg (just as you said john) litel bit more salt needed, next time i going to use 2-2.5% salt instead of 1.2%.
you guys can see also about the formula and this pizza dough at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12606.msg125209.html#msg125209
from reply #56 at john's thread.
i want to thank also member forum pete-zza for all his help, you can read more about it and how i made this dough in my food proccesor at reply #3
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12877.msg125021.html#msg125021
thank you very much peter :).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:47:30 PM by msheetrit »