Author Topic: Portable Outoor Wood Fired Pizza Oven with Propane  (Read 11188 times)

Offline sacwoodpusher

Portable Outoor Wood Fired Pizza Oven with Propane
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:11 PM »
I have been looking for an outdoor wood fired pizza oven for some time. I found this one right here in Northern CA.

It has dimensons of:

External Dimensions: 37.5 wide, 29.5" deep, and 57.5 " high
Door Dimensions: 16.25" wide, 8.5" high
Internal Dimensions: 27" wide, 22" deep, and 13" high
Estimated Weight: 350 lbs

Offline Ev

Re: Portable Outoor Wood Fired Pizza Oven with Propane
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »
I'd call that semi-portable at best. I don't think you'll be loading it in your car to have a pizza party somewhere else. How does the propane part work?

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:24:30 PM »
The propane burner is off to the right side of the oven.

Is seems to be a simple piece of 3/4 inch pipe. It burns blue flame. The idea is to put your wood on top of the pipe until the wood is burning nicely, then, turn it off.

I sometimes burn the propane without the wood, if I am in a hurry.

Either way, after the pizza is done cooking, I wait till the walls cool to about 450, and then throw in my bread. CAREFUL, any temp more than 450 and the bread is burnt and not done inside.

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:26:36 PM »
The guy who makes these has an optional base. You slide the oven onto the back of a pickup truck.

Offline jw455

• Mary Poppins Broadway Tickets
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »
I found a smaller alternative on Amazon that might be of interest:
Wimmeley PD601 PizzaDome Portable Italian Brick Pizza Oven
(I can't post hyperlinks yet because i'm new)

It's electric powered so you will need to be near a plug socket but it could work out in your backyard with an extension cable.  Looks like it has pretty good reviews.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/PizzaDome-PD401-4-Person-Portable-Terra-Cotta/dp/B002C4SC9I/ref=dp_cp_ob_k_title_2

Well, that's just as cute as a bug's ear. And look at those cute little pizzas it bakes. :D Like a pizza fondue party! Oh no  :-\ it's out of stock!
Don

I found a smaller alternative on Amazon that might be of interest:
Wimmeley PD601 PizzaDome Portable Italian Brick Pizza Oven
(I can't post hyperlinks yet because i'm new)

It's electric powered so you will need to be near a plug socket but it could work out in your backyard with an extension cable.  Looks like it has pretty good reviews.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:57:48 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
Pizza cookies.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 09:36:48 PM »
And I thought I was making small pizzas.  Those would disappear in 2 bites.  :-D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 10:16:49 PM »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 10:30:56 PM »
The unit is perfect for this: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg18395.html#msg18395.

Peter

The first thought that popped into my mind was .... "wow those are giant pepperonis - they cover the entire pizza!"  :-D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 01:51:45 AM »
My personal opinion is that this user, is a user.  I  think that he is the builder, whoreing his cheap wares out to the forum.  I am willing to risk punishment from the powers that be if I am wrong.

http://norcalovenworks.blogspot.com/

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=13337

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12557.0.html

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline carbon

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
^^^  I also suspected that when I opened this thread. 

But I do have a question about the oven.  Does it have any insulation at all?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:07:22 PM by carbon »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »
I have been looking for an outdoor wood fired pizza oven for some time. I found this one right here in Northern CA.

It has dimensons of:

External Dimensions: 37.5 wide, 29.5" deep, and 57.5 " high
Door Dimensions: 16.25" wide, 8.5" high
Internal Dimensions: 27" wide, 22" deep, and 13" high
Estimated Weight: 350 lbs

I'm curious to know SWP, what did you pay for this oven?  What is the cost of it if one were to want to purchase one and who would I contact?

Thanks,
Chau

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12:46 PM »
The purpose of this forum is to share ideas. If you think I am spamming you, then remove me. I do not think a forum supposedly made up of Pizza Professionals is a place to sell something like this.

I am also, a bit turned off on the general tone of this website.....I went through the entire thread started by someone about to build a Pompei oven.....You're all very argumentative....I sent the guy who started the thread an e-mail....I was wondering how his oven build turned out, and would have liked to see a picture after all of the abuse you guys heaped on him. I guess that anytime anyone wants to think for himself, or question statements that only a couple of tests with a datalogger can answer...instead of talking about corners being bad, materials being untraditional, wall thickness, wall shape, insulation etc......then those who have been in the field (but don't necesssarily know) feel that if they shout enough, their statements will become true.

I spent 7 years in Environmental Test at an Aerospace Company working with the chambers designed to go from -41 deg C to plus 71 deg C and making temperature transitions at the rate of 20 deg C/min. Mil. Std. 810 C and D and also Mil Std. 781 C to simulate what happens to computers in an Aerospace environment. (Aircraft and Missile). I have run a great many tests in the "envelope" around the product. The statements made as to shape of an oven, corners or no, etc....simply cannot be made under transient conditions laminar, turbulent, and unsteady mixed flows. You would need a data logger with type K thermocouples for that, and even then, do you moniter air temp, wall temp, floor temp, and would the test be repeatable from firing to firing .....but steady state is a whole 'nother manner. We can, however, predict some things....but go on, put your head in the sand, and try not to listen to any new ideas. After all, the Romans did it.....of course, they's drank water out of lead pipes too.

My main interests on this forum is Pain a LaAncienne (and no, I'm not even gonna try to spell it) Pizza dough, pre-ferments, etc...........but If you want to remove my ID, go right ahead.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »
I haven't seen Sacwoodpusher actually try and push a product, although if you are making them, stating it up front and asking for advice would not seem to be a problem with what I have read on here.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 08:28:03 PM »
The purpose of this forum is to share ideas. If you think I am spamming you, then remove me. I do not think a forum supposedly made up of Pizza Professionals is a place to sell something like this.

I am also, a bit turned off on the general tone of this website.....I went through the entire thread started by someone about to build a Pompei oven.....You're all very argumentative....I sent the guy who started the thread an e-mail....I was wondering how his oven build turned out, and would have liked to see a picture after all of the abuse you guys heaped on him. I guess that anytime anyone wants to think for himself, or question statements that only a couple of tests with a datalogger can answer...instead of talking about corners being bad, materials being untraditional, wall thickness, wall shape, insulation etc......then those who have been in the field (but don't necesssarily know) feel that if they shout enough, their statements will become true.

I spent 7 years in Environmental Test at an Aerospace Company working with the chambers designed to go from -41 deg C to plus 71 deg C and making temperature transitions at the rate of 20 deg C/min. Mil. Std. 810 C and D and also Mil Std. 781 C to simulate what happens to computers in an Aerospace environment. (Aircraft and Missile). I have run a great many tests in the "envelope" around the product. The statements made as to shape of an oven, corners or no, etc....simply cannot be made under transient conditions laminar, turbulent, and unsteady mixed flows. You would need a data logger with type K thermocouples for that, and even then, do you moniter air temp, wall temp, floor temp, and would the test be repeatable from firing to firing .....but steady state is a whole 'nother manner. We can, however, predict some things....but go on, put your head in the sand, and try not to listen to any new ideas. After all, the Romans did it.....of course, they's drank water out of lead pipes too.

My main interests on this forum is Pain a LaAncienne (and no, I'm not even gonna try to spell it) Pizza dough, pre-ferments, etc...........but If you want to remove my ID, go right ahead.

SacWood,

You almost spelled it right :)

Pain a la Ancienne. It's a great bread I had numerous times on trips to Paris and the Côte d'Azur. If you have a recipe, please post it.

Anyway, regarding the spamming, I agree with Tscarborough's post.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline carbon

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 10:43:16 PM »
Regardless, I'm still curious about its (lack of?) insulation. 

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »
Yes, it is insulated. The entire inner oven is insulated, top, bottom, front, back, and sides. Yes, the exterior of the oven stays cool except for the area above the door which gets heated by combustion gasses.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »
How much do these ovens cost with the stand and where can members get these ovens from?

Offline carbon

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
Yes, it is insulated. The entire inner oven is insulated, top, bottom, front, back, and sides. Yes, the exterior of the oven stays cool except for the area above the door which gets heated by combustion gasses.
What kind, and how much insulation is under the hearth and the rest of the oven?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:37:53 PM by carbon »